The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: turbo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
steve.s Wrote:hi

i have not yet fitted my BAE, but can you actually tell its condition without fitting/testing?

best thing is to check the shaft any play top to bottom is a potential oil leak, but slight play in and out is ok to a degree. i have been looking for turbos to fit on the flange on my car, i think i may have found a couple that will fit with a few mods so im not giving up tt
quick update i have had my unit rebuilt total cost £350 Cry no vat thats bearings seals and compressor blades and balanced i know i may have to sell a kidney but at least we know it can be done TT

bozzzydmc

Thats great tony !

( Just as a daft point has your wastegate been checked at all? )

Bet you cant wait to get that refitted !
yeah i had i checked a few years back, oh sorry mate the one on the car you mean :lol: the wastegate is external and was ok before, the only bind is i have to take the car apart again because i honestly didn't think anyone could do the rebuild and i have put the volvo dizzy in Big Grin TT
Why can't the volvo dizzy stay in with the turbo?

NickT

Dan1986 Wrote:Why can't the volvo dizzy stay in with the turbo?

The advance curve is too aggressive for the turbo when it is on boost.

NickT
NickT Wrote:
Dan1986 Wrote:Why can't the volvo dizzy stay in with the turbo?

The advance curve is too aggressive for the turbo when it is on boost.

NickT

plus i dont want to alter another dizzy, and i didnt know about the advance nick , but i knew there was a difference TT
picked up turbo today and they had done a complete rebuild including cleaning the housing by blasting it,and it looked brand new with a warranty for a year. i also had the cheek to ask for a tour of the factory, i was shown the rebuild process, which includes a turbo spun to 200,000 rpm for balancing all in all a very interesting experience.
He told me they used to rebuild the unit i had around 20 yrs ago but mine was the first he had seen for a long time, they have the parts on the shelf but may have only enough for one more rebuild.
all in all im very happy (£350 lighter Cry ) at least i can finally get it to run the way it should TT

bozzzydmc

" All Hail the mighty Turbo" !!!

Good stuff buddy, looking forward to seeing the old girl again soon
TT- where did you get the rebuild done?
hi john, it was essex turbo's 01376 503350 i must say at this point that this set up of mine is only experimental and may not work as i want, im now running a volvo set up so it may work better in my car as well, in short i dont want anyone to waste their money TT

NickT

that's great news on the turbo rebuild tony.

It'd be interesting to see what difference it makes Big Grin

NickT
funny thing is they found a piece of solid plastic in the compressor housing and they cant understand why it didnt damage the turbo TT
well after 3 weeks of swapping the bits around all the bits and pieces on my car, stress sleepless nights low mojo :lol: its the turbo letting oil in through the exhaust manifold Shock baring in mind it was rebuilt.

So im off down there this week to give them a piece of my mind and blame it on tourettes :lol: so look out essex turbo im on my way

a very relieved TT
Tourettes Tony Wrote:well after 3 weeks of swapping the bits around all the bits and pieces on my car, stress sleepless nights low mojo :lol: its the turbo letting oil in through the exhaust manifold Shock baring in mind it was rebuilt.

So im off down there this week to give them a piece of my mind and blame it on tourettes :lol: so look out essex turbo im on my way

a very relieved TT

Strange, I replaced a turbo on a mates Audi A4 (diesel) about a month ago, had to do it again two weeks later when that failed down to a poor rebuild, been ok since though. Hopefully they will do yours properly this time!
Chris
Pages: 1 2 3