The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Tale of woe.....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

A Van

A very sad end to my Spitfire's life, by some twerp who "didnt see me"

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=x4F6DOlaCAo

Thanks to James RG for being a willing passenger in its final journey, even after receiving a head injury, Chris Hawes for filming and producing this video for me and lending me his pen, Stuart @ Emagine for recovery assistance, Martin G for talking me out of having that fag, Jordan R for offering me the fag in the first place..And Rich J for giving something else to talk about when we finally got to the pub.
Aw, Alistair, that is so sad Cry

A Van

Yes I know.... Sad

What makes it worse that is that I taken a deposit on it from a guy in Germany, who was due to fly in on the Thursday and drive it back....

It was the last trip to make sure everything working ok for him, as I hadnt driven it for a day or two, and Triumphs being Triumphs need to be used, and the last thing I wanted was him breaking down and so on.

Out of the 4 cars involved it took the worst hit, and I think was the only one to be able to still move under its own power.

Good job I didnt cancel the insurance though, the assessor should be out to have a look on Monday. Sad

Typical
oh jeez, bet the guy in Germany is just as p'd as you about it.

D'ya reckon it is fixable, or is it a deffo parting out job?

A Van

Hi

I had the assesssor visit, he says its a Cat B write off.

Waiting now for the letter....., they might let me keep it and part it out myself..

Al
Keep us posted, it would interesting to know if they will let you buy it off them...
they might not, though - this is from Autocheck's website.

Categories Of Write-Off
An explanation of the categories of write-off are listed below:

Category A - A vehicle which should have been totally crushed, including all its spare parts.
Category B - A vehicle from which spare parts may be salvaged, but the bodyshell should have been crushed and the car should never return to the road.
Category C - An extensively damaged vehicle which the insurer has decided not to repair, but which could be repaired and returned to the road.
Category D - A damaged vehicle which the insurer has decided not to repair, but which could be repaired and returned to the road.
Category F - A vehicle damaged by fire, which the insurer has decided not to repair.
Theft - These vehicles have not been recovered and ownership rests with the insurer who made the total loss payment. They are able to repossess the car as soon as it is identified, even if it has been bought innocently.
Vehicles categorised as A, B or C require a VIC test before the DVLA will issue a new registration document. This will then be noted on the V5C. See www.dvla.gov.uk for more information on VIC testing.
cat b cars can be put back on the road. They maybe Q plated, need an SVA test or need to be police inspected.

I have had two cat b cars and both were fine.

A Van

Well....

They made an offer which I was happy with for the car, but I thought I'd try and hold out for a bit more..

So they came back with another £100 and let me keep the car.

Parting it out already!. incidentally the assessor had valued the repais at over £8000.
I feel sorry for you car Cry Same happened to one of mine, but I was lucky that it was not a write off.
A Van Wrote:Well....

They made an offer which I was happy with for the car, but I thought I'd try and hold out for a bit more..

So they came back with another £100 and let me keep the car.

Parting it out already!. incidentally the assessor had valued the repais at over £8000.

£8000!!! Shock Glad you've been able to keep the car though and
that it wont just be crushed - at least other Spitty's will live on because
of your car Smile