The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: If you know insurance policy stuff, please help me.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Right, to make the story short.... My car got rear ended (not the D) and it's highly likely that it will be a write off.

I would like to know if the 3rd party's insurance company will always offer to sell to the victim the written off car back? Or will they just take the car to examin, and I will never see the car again?

I would be so sorry to see my little car go Cry
John,

The insurance company are not obligated to sell you the written off car, but most will ,as they will actually have to pay disposal fees on the vehicle - so will use any money from you to offset their costs.

You need to request it formally from them - don't wait, they may not offer it!

Darren
Thanks for the answer Darren!

I will ring them right away to make sure.

BTW, is a slight fold on the boot floor a MOT failure? (providing it doesn't affect any other mechaical/electrical/exhaust parts of the car...)
Be careful John, we have had a lot of cars part exchanged in our place, and what appears to be normal from the back is a different story when you take it for an allignment test. A crease in the floor can be "jigged" most of the way out, and completely hidden by the professionals out there. But its usually found that doors no longer line up, seals dont keep water out etc etc. A car usually has maximum strength in the front, and the rear acts more like a crumple zone, hence it folding. In my opinion, once its been hit hard up the rear end it will never have that safety factor again. Safety of you and your passengers is priority, if it happens again, and the materials used for the repair are not as they were when it left the factory, it could be a different story.........

Ben
Thanks for the advise Ben! Shall I take all things that I would like to keep from the car before they come and examine the car? (spoilers/alloys...etc) Just in case that I make the decision and go for the cheque? I guess they won't offer me the chance to take stuff from the car when I am not going to buy it back?
Maybe take it somewhere and get some advice first, its hard to say without seeing the car, but if it's being assesed, then take everything of value off it, or the insurance company will probably claim it. Smile