The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Tax when recieving parcels from abroad
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am thinking of getting some electronic gadget from the US (ebay)... how does the custom in UK determines the amount of tax i should pay?
think it's 18 quid.

from the horse's mouth call 0845 010 9000

it won't hurt. :wink: :lol:

that is 18 quid before they start charging 17.5% VAT on the value of the item...
hi

this is a little bit of a bad area mate as you might find out better ring me and i tell you about it
mmm, and remember if it comes thru the likes of fed ex or UPS they also add about £10 each for the plesure of charging you and giving the money to the tax man! Mind you the Royal Mail charge has also just gone up to £8.00 as well. I find that smaller items can normally slip thru the net and not get charged at all, especially if there sent via USPS
Chris
Keep it quiet...

but specialTauto always used to write antique car parts - gift and i never had a customs bill!.
steve.s Wrote:Keep it quiet...

you've just posted it on the internet. :?:

Don't tell anyone! christ, if anyone knew! :wink:
Its hit and miss whether they charge you at customs. I had £8 added on for my KRUPS coffee grinder which only cost me £20 but my £700 worth of props had nothing added to them. I think if you get the seller to tick 'warranty replacement parts' on the mail form then they can't charge you commision or 'gift' used to be the other one.

By the way tell the seller to take any batteries out of shipped items as my props were sent back from the UK to the US when they started screaming 'when this baby hits 88mph, you're gonna see some serious..." It caused a bit of a stir in the customs yard and they were not amused...... Smile