Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battery Light appeared, voltage drop
well its safety first Smile

As the say "its better than a poke in the eye with ...an alternator ....."
Thanks guys for your help.

Got the alternator off pretty easily... way easier than what I thought it would be!

I decided to give it a shot at fixing the alternator myself. The parts will arrive tmr, so let's see if I am lucky!
Kind Regards,
John [DOC No. 8]

[Image: signature.jpg]
What did you get? A new set of brushes and a voltage regulator?

You didn't say if the dashboard warning lamp was on when the key was in position 2. If it isn't then check tha wiring from the alternator W to the dashboard bulb/lamp. If this doesn't work then the alternator won't start charging.

Good luck with the repair.

NickT.
NickT Wrote:What did you get? A new set of brushes and a voltage regulator?

You didn't say if the dashboard warning lamp was on when the key was in position 2. If it isn't then check tha wiring from the alternator W to the dashboard bulb/lamp. If this doesn't work then the alternator won't start charging.

Good luck with the repair.

NickT.

Hi Nick!

The dashboard warning lamp was on when the key was in position 2, and the wiring is not faulty, i checked with multimeter.

I also cleaned all the contacts of the wires i can possibly see.

I ordered new bushing + voltage regulator (it's intergrated) and it cost about 45 quid. Not bad if it can solve the problem Big Grin

Thanks for the advise all the time Nick!

Will keep updating this post until i get it fixed!
Kind Regards,
John [DOC No. 8]

CAN SOME ONE PLEASE TELL ME IS IT WORTH INSTALLING THESE 105 AMP ALTERNATORS WE KEEP SEEING ABOUT ON THE NET
DOES IT IMPROVE ON THE VOLT METER ON THE DASH AND DOES IT HELP WITH ANY DRAINAGE FROM LIKE AC LIGHTS ECT...
i think it's worth the upgrade if you tend to drive with most things on, such as the AC, headlights, headunits....etc. Or if you have installed devices that takes more power, such as heavy duty stereo systems.

But I am keeping mine original, as things are fine with the 90A so far, so i just fixed my old one and let it continue its job.
Kind Regards,
John [DOC No. 8]

Yea!

It works!!!

Now the car is so so steady at 13-14V. I think the new regulator works very well (same part no, but new), and the cleaning of the contacts makes a huge difference.

Claire, I suggest you swap your regulator to a new one and see if your problem still continues. Also file all the contact points till clean bare metal shows before screwing things back on.

Now about the tightness of the belt...

I tightened the alternator so that tbe belt could deflect aboiut 1/2 inch at the longest length. But i also heard people saying that if I could twist the belt 90 degree it is too loose.... what is the correct way of judging the correct tightness of the belt?
Kind Regards,
John [DOC No. 8]

Result !

The twist belt by 90 degress using your fingers is usually applicable to cambelts that don't use automatic tensioners.

1/2" (13mm) deflection on the longest run is ok for an alternatr belt.

To help others, put your alternator oem code and the voltage regulator part no. in the cross parts section Big Grin

NickT.
Biggest thanks to you Nick

As suggested, here's what I have used, hope it helps!

http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1373
Kind Regards,
John [DOC No. 8]

Outatime Wrote:Claire, I suggest you swap your regulator to a new one and see if your problem still continues. Also file all the contact points till clean bare metal shows before screwing things back on.

Hi John,

I'll give that a go when I get Flopsy back from Grady's - mind you, the alternator is very noisy - and it was refurbished by a company that DMUK used a few years ago, so it might be beyond saving, but I'll certainly try the regulator and see if it helps for now.

regards,
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie