Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternator Belt
Hi all,

I'm sure its been posted before, but I'm at work so cant really spend too much time trawling the forum....

Anyone got a parts x-ref for the alternator belt? Mines slipping really badly and also the outer part is coming away from the rest of the belt.

Is it a boggo standard Volvo 760/Renault V6 belt or do I need a different one?

Cheers,
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/viewto ... nator+belt

hope that helps.
oh bolix Sad

Phill nipped down the local car parts shop this afternoon, and the assistant went through loads of parts books to x-ref and he brought home a 10AV1100 belt which apparantly fits the Volvo B28E engine.

Does the DeLorean engine need a larger belt then the one fitted to the B28E?

Just as well I saw Bozzy's reply in time, I was just about to go outside and start attacking Flopsy with a socket set.....
Claire Usher Wrote:oh bolix Sad

Does the DeLorean engine need a larger belt then the one fitted to the B28E?

not sure why it should...I would have though it'd be the same...
-------------------------
- Dave Smith

VIN: #00944 DOC: #535
VIN: #03193
Having pulled a couple of Volvo B28E engines to bits now, the alternator is in a different position on those engines, my guess is that a Volvo one would be to short.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
ah, that would explain it then Smile

Phill's gonna get back to Romac today and exchange it for a longer belt - its hard to look cool in a DeLorean when there's a 'strangulated parrot' type noise coming from the back :oops:
it there not any play in the alt bracket slidy thing?
-------------------------
- Dave Smith

VIN: #00944 DOC: #535
VIN: #03193
i know this may not be of any help, but my car was fitted with a volvo alternator and it used to destroy belts every 400-500mls because the pulley was to thin and it used to end up like a shoe lace TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
thats interesting to know TT, as I need to source a new alternator, so I was thinking of having a scrat around the scrapyard. Now you've said that I'll avoid any Volvo's that are in there!! (and I'm not paying out a stupid amount of money to buy one from the US and ship it over here).

Barso - the belt is currently adjusted as much as it will go - and the 'outer' part of the belt (the bit that has the writing on) has now come away Shock

Have managed to get a 1250 belt, so going by what people have put further up this post it should fit ok. Will let you know how we get on - it was a tad embarrasing screeching out of the classic car meet tonight! :lol:
there is a man in this area who rebuilds them for about £60 but i dont spose thats any help claire Sad TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Claire, If you've got a Motoquip stockist nearby, then the alternator belt is a VFB244, and the A/C belt is a VFB618. Most motor factors will be able to cross reference other makes of belts to these part numbers depending on how good they are. I have changed both of mine since Evesham on Dan's advice, and it was less than £8 for the pair. There is also another Alternator belt available, part number VFB271, which is a 12mm as apposed to the 10mm of the VFB244, and I found the 10mm fit my pulley better. If you want to have a crack at the 12mm one, let me know, and I'll send it out to you because I bought one of them as well as I wasn't sure which would fit best, and we was only talking a couple of quid just to take them all. I'm sure it will bed in after a few K anyway. Like I said, let me know. Hope all is ok with you...

Mr.P
Tourettes Tony Wrote:there is a man in this area who rebuilds them for about £60 but i dont spose thats any help claire Sad TT
I've already wasted money having it rebuilt (in the DMUK days) Sad
Got a new belt ready to go on, will sort the alternator out asap, but wont be in time for Donington tho.
Not sure when I'll get around to doing it tbh, as I'm going into hospital next week so wont be able to drive for a good 2-3 weeks after that depending how the surgery goes.
Cheers for all the responses guys, really appreciated Big Grin
TheOriginalMrP Wrote:Claire, If you've got a Motoquip stockist nearby, then the alternator belt is a VFB244, and the A/C belt is a VFB618. Most motor factors will be able to cross reference other makes of belts to these part numbers depending on how good they are. I have changed both of mine since Evesham on Dan's advice, and it was less than £8 for the pair. There is also another Alternator belt available, part number VFB271, which is a 12mm as apposed to the 10mm of the VFB244, and I found the 10mm fit my pulley better. If you want to have a crack at the 12mm one, let me know, and I'll send it out to you because I bought one of them as well as I wasn't sure which would fit best, and we was only talking a couple of quid just to take them all. I'm sure it will bed in after a few K anyway. Like I said, let me know. Hope all is ok with you...

Mr.P
Ayup Ben,
cheers for the reply - will deffo make sure to copy this for future reference! Big Grin
Phill got a new belt yesterday, 10mm/1250 made by Gates, so fingers x'd it'll do the job.
Hope you and Kel are well,
New belt fitted tonight and shreiking noises have stopped (apart from the noisy alternator).

The old belt, under closer inspection was in very bad shape - the outer part had come away, the teeth had worn virutally away in places and it was also splitting at the sides.

Cheers all,