Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how much oil does the auto trans take?
Hi all

A few questions

How much oil does the auto trans system take?

Must you use DII or can DIII be used?

I have the gaskets and filter....any advice for changing these parts on an auto trans?

many thanks

craig
Craig Churchill Wrote:Hi all

A few questions

How much oil does the auto trans system take?

Must you use DII or can DIII be used?

I have the gaskets and filter....any advice for changing these parts on an auto trans?

many thanks

craig

This is an easy enogh job better on a ramp or pit thou.

On the few cars i have changed the auto transmission fluid on these all used between 4.5 - 5 litres . Its best to warm the car up and test the level at 'hot' , because the fluid doesnt seem to 'sit' right at cold and gives a false reading imo . Def Use Dextron III and dont get it from Halfrauds, i pay £12 + vat for 5 litres,

There should be a magnet on the back of the pan , this will be covered in metal filings . clean this up and replace.

If when you are finished and go to test run the car and the car doesnt shift 'right' then the fluid level is too low, top up but dont overfill, hence the test the level at 'hot'

Dont forget to change the 'final drive oil' too .

Dont over torque the 13 or so sump bolts , check the manual for the correct settings.
thanks mike

how do you change the final drive oil?

what kind of oil does that take and how much?

many thanks

craig
Craig Churchill Wrote:thanks mike

how do you change the final drive oil?

what kind of oil does that take and how much?

many thanks

craig

It uses 80w/90 gear oil.... 1.6 litre approx from empty to fill level. Again buy it in a 5 litre container from a motor factor.

If you have a manual this procedure is shown in 4.5.6 along with the changing of the transmission fluid

If you dont have this let me know i have a 'hand written ' copy i could email you .

There is a fill plug and a separate drain plug , remove the fill plug first this way if it is stuck or siezed etc, you dont drain the oil and then find you cant get it back in again Smile
the correct oil level is back up to the bottom of the fill plug .
The sump bolts should be very lightly nipped up all the way around. Then keep going round nipping them up more until you see the gasket getting slightly squashed, and the tension feels slighlty harder.

I try and use my thumb and two fingers to turn the wrench. It seems a good way to get a good even tightness across each bolt.

Mike is VERY correct when he says "Dont overtighten". I have one which I over tightened on my first attempt, and I always get a few drips coming out from that place now, because the threads are knackered.

I'll re-tap and put a bigger bolt in their when I get the chance.

Dont be frightened to have a go. If you're unsure about the torque, its best to under tighten, rather than knacker your threads up.

The first time I took my sump off, I took all the bolts out with my fingers ! And it never leaked once!

It does now though ! LOL
Paul Birks - DOC5 - Worksop