Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
has anyone had a screen fitted?
hi

i just wondered, i need mine fitted and normally the fitter uses a knife (or cheeswire) to cut the old 'glue' and then a knife to scrape the old glue off.

is this ok, and is there any chance of damage to the fibreglass?

just can't see him doing it without cutting into?

and is it best to fit, the put the top rail and side finishers back on, while the new glue is tacky (upto a couple of hours?)

and then best to not open the doors (to stop body flex)

any tips?
i want to do my door post finishers but will not really have time as need to get the new screen in. can these be done later if need be?, they are not too bad, but can see a bit of the lining through the glass. Thought i could slide a dark plastic strip or something to cover this.

i think dmuk use to paint the edge of the screen?

thanx for any advice

that mot draws closer
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=675

I measured the distance between the trim screw holes and the screen surface (7mm I think).
He used the special cutting wire to remove the screen apart from near the end of the dashboard where he used an aluminium sheet for protection and a knife to cut.
He shaved all excess bonding off the frame and screen then activated it with an etch primer.
I had the doors open when he put the new screen on and I aligned it with 2 striahgt edges and checked that it was pressed down enough for the new trims.
I left the car with the doors up overnight so that the bonding was at full strength to allow for slight flex for opening/ closing the door.
I trimmed the sides with a scalpel and then refitted the trims.

Not sure about seeing the trim, maybe you could glue it back while the screen is out.

NickT.
If the current screen is the original one then it will take more than a cheese wire to cut through the glue!

My fitter explained that in the early 80's when bonded windscreens were being used more widely, the glue they used set very hard. He had to use a bent knife type tool - it took considerable effort to cut through the old glue and destroyed the glass (which didn't matter since it was cracked anyway). The fiberglass wasn't damaged.

He also pointed out a grounding wire which wraps under the glass on the passenger side - a similar thing on Porsches apparently responsible for many cracked glasses, as it creates a pressure point in the corner. Needless to say I cut the offending wire before he installed the new glass. It's only an earthing point for the right front wing, and that can be grounded elsewhere.

You will want to put at least the side finishers back on while the fitter is there. He will have no way of gauging how much sealant to use, or how much to seat the glass. By putting the finishers on you can see if the glass is seated correctly. Take them off after 10 minutes again though, otherwise the sealant will glue them to the car and you'll not be able to remove them again.

Another thing my fitter sugested was putting some foam on the lower wire supports, before he installed the glass as the idea of the edge of a windscreen resting on hard steel wire worried him.

If you don't have a tinted stripe across the top edge of the glass, you may want him to put a thicker paint line across the top as without it you can see the roof fibreglass from the outside.
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Hi Steve,

the metal windscreen surrounds come in 3 sections, and there are small screws underneath the door seals (if yours are in place) plus a small earth wire that you need to undo to get them off. You can then rub them down and repaint them - I seem to recall a thread about what paint to use being on here before.

When my screen was changed, it didnt matter about the old screen, as it was fubar anyway.

Regards,
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
hi

thankyou all for the info.

i am a bit nervous about my dash (as its virtually unmarked). and possibility of damage to the fibreglass body when removing the old glue.

have only found one place that will do it 'mobile' in Wolverhampton
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
car booked for friday, so i'll let everyone know how it goes, incase you want a midlands fitter.
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
hi

screen just been done.

he did a good job, but i was helping and the knife slipped!

waiting for the mrs to come back (nurse) to see if i'm off to casualty!.

however screen is now in, the internal finishers you can see, and did not have time to put right, put have an idea to slide some black edge trim to hide it.

i used some on the small door window glass to hide the gap and it looks good.

next sort the wipers because the nuts and seals holding them in are shot.

anywhere to get these from apart from the usa?.
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
best thing to do is take your old ones and measure them and then go to your local scrapyard and pick some up for less then the cost of a pint of beer.

Miles better then spending oodles of money on NOS ones + shipping + taxes Big Grin (jeez, I really am spending far too much time around Rich H!!! lol :lol: )
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
hi

did end up in casualty..the hospital not the drama series.

bad cut and tetanus jab, 3.5 hours wait.

at least my screen looks good.

bought new cowl but they don't have the spacers.
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370