Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How long is a new DMCH angle drive supposed to last?
Hi all,

anyone had much experience of DMCH's remanufactured angle drives?

I had one of their new ones put in Flopsy less then 18 months ago, and yesterday it packed up after doing just 5341 miles (78008 - 72667)

This will be Flopsy's third angle drive that I know of - the previous owner had one fitted in the mid 90's and that had been dead for years when I got the car in 2002.

I'd only just got used to the novelty of a working speedo, so to see it stuck at zero again yesterday was annoying to put it mildly.......more bloody expense......... :roll: :x :roll: :x
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Ed Uding told me at a recent DOI Tech session that he had a box of angle drives at his shop that had broken after only a few hundred miles, he even had one break after driving about 10 feet!!

Thomas McCaulay had one on his car break after about 50 miles.

DMCH seem to have been given a bad batch and instead of getting rid of this batch they are still selling them. If you need a new one get it from Ed Uding, he is using the new supply that does not break and has thrown out all the old ones.
Alistair McCann
Northern Ireland
1981 Delorean #Vin Pilot 25
1989 Renault Alpine GTA Atmo.
I'm sure I remember these being sold with a lifetime guarantee...

But it don't see any mention of that on the website, so either I remember wrongly, or it's been 'withdrawn'
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
okey dokes guys, although from talking to Rich on the way t'pub t'other night, it might be worth checking my lower speedo cable too (although that was new less than 4 years/7000 miles ago too).

Like I've said before, Flopsy cant seem to go anywhere without breaking something.......bless her little cottons........

Anyway, with the Rapier down the bodyshop to have the nsr quarter panel redone, the Cavalier in desperate and very vocal need of cambelt tensioners, Flopsy is now in daily service - and feck me is a black interior hot when you aint got aircon!!!
Mine broke after a year, I backed it out of the workshop and it went bang.

DMCH said that it's a 3 month warranty so thats me getting a new one then.
That would be interesting since he gets his stock from us! We've been very lenient with returns on failed angle drives, something that hasn't been mentioned here.

James

Pilot25dmc Wrote:(SNIP)DMCH seem to have been given a bad batch and instead of getting rid of this batch they are still selling them. If you need a new one get it from Ed Uding, he is using the new supply that does not break and has thrown out all the old ones.
RichH Wrote:I'm sure I remember these being sold with a lifetime guarantee...

But it don't see any mention of that on the website, so either I remember wrongly, or it's been 'withdrawn'

You remember wrongly - the only part that we currently offer a lifetime guarantee on is the reproduction exterior door handles.

James
Daniel Shane Wrote:Mine broke after a year, I backed it out of the workshop and it went bang.

DMCH said that it's a 3 month warranty so thats me getting a new one then.

Dan, when did you get this story and from whom? As I mentioned earlier, we've been very lenient on the returns. If you want, email/PM me direct on this particular issue.

James
Hi James,

You get everywhere dont you Big Grin

I asked someone at Chicago this year, a bloody tall bloke, and was informed of the 3 month thing.

Can you clear this up for us then once and for all, what is the warranty on the Angle drive, NOS and Electrical items ???

Thanks
The "bloody tall bloke" would have been Ben, our shipping/warehouse manager. Normally I don't argue with him :-)

We test each angle drive before it's shipped on a test jig, forward and backward at varying RPM, before shipment. Nevertheless, we've been pretty lenient accepting returns, usually making the cutoff about six months or so, according to Warren.

As far as an actual posted policy, all parts are sold as-is. Unused parts may be returned within 30 days, accompanied by a receipt and subject to a restocking charge of 20%. Electrical parts are non-returnable. Certain parts may be covered by a manufacturer's warranty or may carry a different warranty based on the part itself. Yes, it's more confusing than it rightfully should be.

We're in the midst of revamping the entire policy, in light of the many different types of parts that we sell. With affiliated locations in other states/countries, this is taking a bit longer than we thought. Revisions, when completed, will be posted far and wide.

James

Daniel Shane Wrote:Hi James,

You get everywhere dont you Big Grin

I asked someone at Chicago this year, a bloody tall bloke, and was informed of the 3 month thing.

Can you clear this up for us then once and for all, what is the warranty on the Angle drive, NOS and Electrical items ???

Thanks
:lol: I remember Ben from the DMCH Warehouse Tour in 2003...he is a big bugger, I wouldnt argue with him either!!
It's not their fault. It's a stupid design we're stuck with without doing a gearbox that'd cost a *lot* more. For information it provides a step-up ratio of 8:9 in a single stage which cannot be done with bevel gears alone. They have to be screw gears and as such, specifically designed and extremely prone to failure in the presence of ANY contamination/lack of lubrication.

A pair of bevel gears on a 1:1 ratio, then strait cut gears on an 8:9 wild do it and be much more reliable, but very expensive

Martin
Hi all,

just thought I'd let you know how we got on with Flopsy's 'broken' angle drive.....

Phill and Rich decided to have a look at the problem after the Willow Foundation meet in Chesterfield and discovered that my angle drive was effectively seized up and the lower speedo had also snapped near the bottom.

Phill took my angle drive apart and stripped it down and has thoroughly cleaned all the gears, re-greased and reassembled it and it now appears to work fine. Also, a new lower speedo cable was made to order (in 24hrs) by Speedograph Ritchfield in Arnold, Nottingham for £10 (inner only, outer part would add another £10 if required) - bargain!! It will all be refitted to Flopsy this weekend if we get time and I'll let you know if the repairs were sucessful - Phill's also devised a way of repairing the plastic cap that 'drives' the angle drive as these get worn over time (especially if the angle drive sticks) and become effectively as much use as a chocolate teapot Big Grin

If anyone else's angle drive has packed up, it maybe worth seeing if it just needs a damn good overhaul and clean up rather then spending £££££'s on a replacement.

Phill said he's also gonna submit an article to Phil Peters including photos for a future club mag techincal article so that people can see how to repair them rather than spending money they might not have to replacing them.

Hope this helps,

Claire