Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dash Illumination Problem
Ok here goes

I took my dash apart today to start my new stereo project. Once finished I put everything back together the way it was before (or so i thought)

I have lockzilla and when you lock or unlock the car it flashes all the outside lights and lights up the headlight switch, hazard switch and the instrument cluster/speedo etc. This keeps all these lights on for about 30 seconds and then switches them off. Usualy once I put the key in and turn the headlights on the speedo lights up and the headlight/hazard lights up too. So once I had the dash back together I switched on the headlight switch to test it and it didnt light up nor did it turn on the dash lights - it did turn on the headlights but it ALWAYS turns on the little bulb in the switch and the hazard the funny thing is that it still turns on when I lock or unlock the car, so if it can do it then why cant it do it when I actually press the switch in??

Every other light works including headlights and breaks so why does this not work?? Rheostat WAS working when I took the dash apart but there isnt even any power going to the rheostat as I have tested the wires running to it with a multimeter and tried to connect them both together but this does not work. All the warning lights on the binacle work just not the lights controled by the rheostat. When I first put the headlight switch back in I remember it lighting up when I pressed it on, it was only when I went to reconnect the rheostat that it all stopped working.

Where does the power come from to control the rheostat and light up the dash and the headlight/hazard light as I feel I have blown a fuse or pulled a wire out, but how does it still work with the lockzilla????

IDEAS PLEASE!!!!!
p.s ALL FUSES INTACT IN FUSE BOX (checked them first)
Alistair McCann
Northern Ireland
1981 Delorean #Vin Pilot 25
1989 Renault Alpine GTA Atmo.
Hi.

Im having a few problems with my hazard switch and head light switch. They got a bit hot and melted. So Richard H bulit me some new ones out of the old ones.

You might want to see if there is a bad conection through the hazard switch, after the hazard switch goes to the indicators. At the moment when i put my right hand indicators on, all is ok, but when i put my left indicator on, both flash!
After talking to Nick T and Richard H, I seem to have a earth problem. You probably made a wire come undone mate.

PS

Sorry about the spelling :?: (Fixed :wink: )
It's a bit difficult to help without knowing the install of the LockZilla. What's the point of lighting up the lights when you lock the car? Just curious.... :-)
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
When you unlock the car the lights come on for 30 seconds then switch off, when you lock the car the lights flash on once then off again to sort of let you know the cars locked.
Alistair McCann
Northern Ireland
All sorted

Looked at the wiring diagram and noticed that fuse 8 was the fuse that lighted up the dash so traced it back to fuse 8 which had a wire running to it from the lockzilla. Underneath the fuse board I noticed this wire had come loose and was touching fuse 2 thus sending no signal to fuse 8!!

Once re-connected it all works. HURRAH!
Alistair McCann
Northern Ireland
isn't it a great feeling when it turns out to be something simple
(i.e. not expensive to fix!)

NickT.