Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Automatic Transmission Governor Removal and Repair
Hello All,
I am new to this forum, but have owned my DeLorean for going on 3 years now. I have VIN 1674, June of 81 build and am the 3rd lucky owner. Last fall I experienced problems with the Auto Trans Governor and did much reading on what the problems are, replacement capacitors etc...but there isn't much out there on actually removing the governor without draining the transmission and all. I'd like to perform the fix, then do the trans servicing later this fall before I put the car away for the winter. Any assistance will be most appreciated.

Cheers!
John Hicks
You can't remove the governor without draining the transmission

Well, technically, you can, but you won't get very far with it as it's bonded into the transmission loom at the diagnostic block. (just below the ballast resistors)

And to disconnect the diagnostic block, you'll have to remove the switch and mulitplug connectors in the sump, which means draining the sump and removing it.

The switch unit is attached via a single allen bolt, the connector however is held in with a circlip inside the sump

The governor is held on with two bolts, and you'll need to unhook the throttle sense cable.
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Hi John,

Perhaps somewhat late in my reply. Did not see this issue before today.
I have performed this repair successfully without totally draining the tranny (only about 2pts max) and with minimal disconnected parts.
Should you not have started and need some instructions, let me know.

Welmoed.
Welmoed

DCN #261
black VIN #6513 1981-11
Toyota Prius III 2009-07
hi there

after my third atempt of putting the auto computer back on a car that i built into a back to the future car i do agree that you need to drain it off before you explore around as it gets messy and your mrs will not be happy when your clothes are damaged by thr fuild i took my on a night flight over to ed udings and had a few tech points on what to look for and change and mine working well my old one is still runing fine to what i know about
Welmoed,
I'll gladly take your pointers!!!!!

I spent an hour trying to remove the boards from my car whilst lying underneath (wish I had a lift!) They are in tightly, and as the space to work is limited, I had not much room to wriggle them in. I ended up putting some silicone sealer in the cap, placed it back on, showered then took the car for a spin. No erratic shifts at all! However I have experienced a few since then, and want to take the boards out for a proper cleaning, replace the caps and check all solder joints.

John
hi

if the car did not shift did you fill it up again from a member in our club had the same problem took it out and thought that he put enough in and not enough to make the system change the gear solinoids