Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cat Bypass - rubbish fit, poor engineering.
Mike and I have had another car playing day yesterday and so I thought it was time to fit my cat bypass pipe i bought 3 years ago.

With my car over my pit and my air tools at the ready the exhaust was off in 30 minutes ! I had a look in the cat and it had broken up slightly but still flowed OK and was spot on for the emissions for the MOT (0.02% CO)

Brilliant , or so I thought..... :roll:

When I came to fit the cat bypass pipe the fit was abysmall. We had to spend an hour chopping filing grinding etc. just for it to fit. :evil:

I hope that the quality of these have vastly improved because the one I bought was very very poor.

Just warning everyone else who thinks this is going to be a mornings work.

NickT.
S'alright, you can buy them through the club now.

If it was one of DMUK's, they were a direct copy of another retailer's pipe and yes, were improved in later batches. There is also a specific issue that still applies to the club's pipes which only affects later cars.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
I was thinking of getting the club CAT Bypass for my car which is a late vin ...what is the problem?
It wont fit !!!
Who does sell them that fit the later vins?

many thanks

Craig
It's very tough to post on this thread without coming across badly but here goes.... we invested quote a lot into the cat bypass pipes and since the club has offered them, our sales have suffered. That's fair competition and no problem, we hardly make a living from them, but they are clearly based on one of our earlier designs which contain a flaw, copied from our original "donor". It only affects late cars.

We can still have them made at the same price but not bead blasted, unless we have them made in batches of ten and given we've sold 3 in the past year, it isn't worth the investment.

ours will fit perfectly and include bolts and gasket. Because they're made to order, the lead time is about 2 weeks.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk