Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Funny noises when cornering
Cheers Nick Smile

The noise is worse on RH lock then LH lock, and is quite alarming. A really metallic "clang clang clang". I've stopped using the car until I can get a chance to get the front wheels off and have a nosey under there.

Good news is the new angle drive and lower speedo cable are working fine.....for now...... Smile

I'll let you know my findings (when I finally get a phone line at home and broadband so that I dont have to keep using other people's computers....grrr)
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
right......funny noises continued..........

Clanging noise happened again on Saturday when on full lock in a carpark in Matlock, so Saturday afternoon, I jacked up the car and removed the nsf wheel so that I could have a good rummage about.

Nothing is loose or rattling! :? The only thing that I can see that is broken under the car, is that the rubber bit on the track rod end (sorry, not very technical there!) is split, but I cant see how that would cause the horrendous noise - which you can also feel up the steering column.

Also, the noise is pretty intermittent, as when I tried to demonstrate it to Rob Williams on Saturday, the car wasnt having any of it. Grrr.

Any more thoughts on this anyone?
are all your frame bolts tight enough?

have a good look up the spring to make sure it hasn't broken off at the end

not sure what else to suggest without looking at the car

nickt
As Nick says it sounds like the front springs are not seating correctly. Had the same problem with mine when I changed them, but did the same as Nick and cured the problem.
Also, as Nick says, check the spring has not fractured on the tappered end (pig tail).
Another noise I cured at the same time was a slight knocking noise, which turned out to be the lower N/S ball joint loose in the track control arm.

Miffster
Miffster Wrote:As Nick says it sounds like the front springs are not seating correctly. Had the same problem with mine when I changed them, but did the same as Nick and cured the problem.
Also, as Nick says, check the spring has not fractured on the tappered end (pig tail).
Another noise I cured at the same time was a slight knocking noise, which turned out to be the lower N/S ball joint loose in the track control arm.

Miffster

Hi Welcome to the forum!

Any chance you could fill in your profile a litle more so that we all know who you are etc.

Thanks Again Smile
cheers for the tips.

Probably wont get a chance to look at car again before weekend - although it will be Sunday at the earliest as going to pick up the scrap Cavalier GLi on Saturday.

The 'Euro Springs' were new in 2003 and I had a good go at trying to shake the various steering and suspension components under the car on Saturday and nothing seemed to be loose.

Chassis bolts....hmm, hadnt thought of that.

Its the intermittentness of the noise thats bugging me tho.....
hi

could it be the front roll bar?, i've heard that they can come loose, and maybe there was a mod (double nut or nyloc?)

worth a check anyway.
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
good point.....the anti-roll bar had to be 'detatched' (I think) when the radiator was changed 2 years ago, plus the front has scraped a few 'sump busters' when I've been driving about (bloody things...grrr)

If I get a chance this weekend, I'll jack the front up and check it, but I'll probably be busy scavenging bits off the scrap Cavalier I've been given Smile

Claire
Some cars (mine included) rub the roll bar with the wheel when on full lock. Look for a worn patch on the roll bar. Check the lower ball joint nuts are torqued, but don't go too mad. This might be the problem if you say it's intermittent.

Check speedo cable doesn't hit the tyre on full lock too
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
It can also be a sign of the wheel bearing is moving in the hub which was a problem on the cars.
Regards Paul O'Malley
DOC 253 South of Ireland Rep
cheers Paul, I didnt know that.

I'd always associated wheel bearings with a 'groaning' or 'rumbling' noise, but I'm open to suggestions, so when I'm well enough I'll have a look at those too.

Thanks again,
I know this in an old thread, but I've been trying to find out about clanging noises. I was driving DGS at the weekend and had to reverse round a corner and I noticed a clanging twang noise from the front suspension. I've been underneath it and everything is tight :? Did you ever fix yours Claire? Mine only seems to do it when steering in reverse :?

I've also noticed that somtimes when I pull away from stationary I can hear a slight 'click' from the passenger side. Its very faint, but I can hear most times I pull away from lights.
VIN: 6511
Have done a bit more reading, sounds like my anti roll bar bushes are shot. Can anyone confirm this before i shell out on a set of polybushes :wink:
Dan1986 Wrote:Have done a bit more reading, sounds like my anti roll bar bushes are shot. Can anyone confirm this before i shell out on a set of polybushes :wink:

If you take off the double locked nuts from the end of the anti roll bar and pull out the donut from that side of the lower control arm and inspect... i bet the rubber is split and the metal tube detached.

[Image: DSC01309640x480.jpg]

[Image: 5-1-0.gif]

Part 32 (but the rear one )
Ok cheers Mike, Ill look at that. That probably explains why my castor was out when I had the alignment done the other week... damn that means it will need aligning again when I change these :roll: