Steering Rack Refurbishment
Driveshaft UK
Unit 4
Victoria Buildings
Newhall Street
Willenhall
WV13 1LQ
01902 602103

Collected on Monday, refurbed on Tuesday and it was back to me on Wednesday morning. Total cost inc VAT £86 (May 2007)

They have identified the rack as being "a generic Lotus one"
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Rich,

Fantastic price but I have doubts about rebuilt racks lasting as my car had a reuilt rack done before I bought it and ever since it has had a small amount of play in it.

What kind of warranty do they offer?

Do you know the part number so that a NEW rack could be purchased?
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
Quote:Do you know the part number so that a NEW rack could be purchased?

I asked the same question of them and they said, "No, we don't have a part number, we just recognise it as a Lotus rack"

When I sent it to them I told them it was from a "Kit Car" to avoid any potential teeth sucking. It was only after they had done the job that I let on it was from a DeLorean.

I will be able to report the quality of the job once my antirollbar bushes *eventually* arrive from Ed...
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
The rack were made by Burman, who no longer exist. They are custom to the D, though parts that make up the rack are from other cars, for instance the pinion housing is Ford Capri (same as G Esprit's). Obviously DMCH now sell their NEW racks but I believe you need the pinion from your old rack in return.

I have had several racks rebuilt for club members, I use 3 J Motors based in West London 020 8991 0218, John charges about £40 + VAT (+ postage) for a straight rebuild.
Chris Spratt

Ex owner of Vin#16327 Grey 5 Speed was FLE 371Y
1998 Lotus Esprit GT3
1999 Lotus Elise
DOC 4
or you can ask Mr dave howarth £55 mine was TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
is a rebuilt rack as good as a new one?

I wonder who has had a rebuilt rack on their car the longest and still has a like new feel still?
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
well i reckon that an extra £200 doesn't justify getting a new rack, i would rather spend the money on a braided set of fuel lines :wink: TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
or £100 on those nice shiney Engine cover grilles ....

Mine was refurbished when i got my car 3 years back, its still 'tight'

Unfortunatley my local garage sent it away to be done so i have no idea who actually did mine.
I've had a refurbed rack in Flopsy for over 4 years now. No problems so far (think it was done by the people Spratty mentioned).

Probably done about 10,000 miles or so since it was fitted.

I had a look at Rich's refurbed rack when he got it back, it looked stunning - just like a brand new one.

I agree with Tourettes, save the extra £200 and put it to something else thats useful or you really need. Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Claire Usher Wrote:I agree with Tourettes, save the extra £200 and put it to something else thats useful or you really need. Smile

Yeah plenty of beer and a good knees up :lol:
TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Tourettes Tony Wrote:
Claire Usher Wrote:I agree with Tourettes, save the extra £200 and put it to something else thats useful or you really need. Smile

Yeah plenty of beer and a good knees up :lol:
TT
exactly!!! I cant think of a better thing to spend a spare £200 on! :lol:

Great minds think alike, eh Tourettes! Big Grin
Claire Usher Wrote:I've had a refurbed rack in Flopsy for over 4 years now. No problems so far (think it was done by the people Spratty mentioned).

Probably done about 10,000 miles or so since it was fitted.

Oh thats right did you not donate your rack to Tinny and Tinny's rack was the one I had refurbished which went into your car?
Chris Spratt

Ex owner of Vin#16327 Grey 5 Speed was FLE 371Y
1998 Lotus Esprit GT3
1999 Lotus Elise
DOC 4
.......... yeah, summat like that.......... :? I've slept since then tho......... :lol:
Chris Hawes Wrote:Rich,

Fantastic price but I have doubts about rebuilt racks lasting as my car had a reuilt rack done before I bought it and ever since it has had a small amount of play in it.

What kind of warranty do they offer?

Do you know the part number so that a NEW rack could be purchased?

Chris,

If the rack is the same as a late 70's Lotus then you can release the rubber boot and pull them back, then on the exposed end of the rack there is way of tightening the play out...its a long time since I worked on the Lotus Espirit (Lotus Dealership in Morecambe 1979) but I am sure it was a very tight fitting nut (interference fit) with a locking tab on a ball. I adjusted quite a few in those days to remove play in the rack and the rubber boots are available separately. I wish I had one here to strip open so I could do a 'how to'....I am fairly sure the rack was actually a Ford part too. Jamie
Wait, you mean to say you built a time machine out of a DeLorean?!!
Play in the DeLorean rack is almost always a result of wear in the bearings, which are a really, really dumb design. The DeLorean rack is a lengthened Esprit rack and while it may share some design with Ford, it's basically unique.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk