Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Tyres
Hi Guys

As I'm still very much a newbee as my car has not even arrived yet I'm asking questions and I guess this is a difficult topic.

Finding a missmatched size set of 4 tyres same make and tread pattern and something which has a half decent fuel (although not to important) rating and wet weather grip (much more important).

No doubt easy in the US but i'm finding it more difficult in the UK.

So question is do any of you guy's alter the profile or tyre size to get a matched pair or does anyone alter there profile and tyres size to get a better ride / handling? 

Any input would be apreciated as I start to get to grips with my DeLorean knowledge base 

Cheers
Mich1958
I'm running Different brand tyres front and back. I think Hankook have an offering, which may satisfy both required tyre sizes, but i'm not certain without spending the time to look.

You'll find the fronts are easy to replace. Plenty of options.

The rears however are more of a PIA. People have changed the widths they've bought for the rears, and despite what people will say about such an approach, I've never heard of anyone coming a cropper as a result of that. I've discussed this very subject in the past with people, hinting that if it comes to that for me, i'd probably go 10mm up rather than down. Purely aesthetic considerations to reach that conclusion. There's not much in 10mm either way you choose. If you drive the car HARD, it may be more of an issue under stressed conditions, but at the pace most of us are forced to drive at with it being an older car and the sheer volume of traffic on the roads these days, it probably isn't a big deal. I await people to criticize and object.

Trying to get same brand for front and back and in the proper sizes is the double challenge. Like I said; might be possible these days. I haven't looked. I'm not in the market for new tyres yet, and when I am, i'm probably expecting it to be fronts first in all honesty.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
I did see an advert for Vintage Tyres saying they had the original P600 in stock part of a newly made batch.
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
(06 Jan 2022, 20:23)Chris Williams Wrote: I did see an advert for Vintage Tyres saying they had the original P600 in stock part of a newly made batch.

It's the P600s I have on my rears. At the time, I got them for what I thought was a heavy price, but next to today's prices being about double that, I have to consider them to be a steal now! I think that was around 5yrs (2000 miles) ago now.

I have Federal made Runways on the front. Despite the slagging off i've had for putting those on, they've been serving me well. I think they've now been on my car for about 8yrs (I'd have to check my spreadsheet to be sure though).
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
I put Bridgestone Turanza ER300 on the front and Cooper Cobras on the back.  

The tread on both sets of tyres are almost an identical match.

Wasn't bothered about matching branding as no one really looks at that in reality.
Derfel aka Derv

Oct 1981 RHD DeLorean VIN 4890
1962 Beetle
2013 Transporter T5 Camper
I'll tell you who's got some nice tyres on his car.

TheScAtMaN (Steve)

I was even discussing them with him at the NEC in November just gone.

I can't remember what they are now, but I seem to think that they were the same brand all round, and they even have a reference to "Giugiaro" on them!

Very nice.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
Tyres are a very emotive subject, but I've got Nankang Econex NA-1 for the front and Nankang Toursport XR611 for the rears.
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
I found right-size Nankang Econex NA-1s for front and rear! Don't care about branding, but liked the idea of same tread all round..!

(02 Feb 2022, 17:40)lordivanhoe Wrote: I found right-size Nankang Econex NA-1s for front and rear!  Don't care about branding, but liked the idea of same tread all round..!

ps: also, good prices!! ;-)