Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Car Lifts
Just put Dolly on SORN and thinking about working on her this Winter.  I am looking for a better way of working rather than rolling around on the floor but I am restricted by height in my garage. I have been looking at a mini tilter, made by CJ Autos based in Heywood, Model No CL01 2Ton, it looks ideal but just wondered if the rubber platforms that sit on each sill will be safe and wont damage the car?
The platforms are 15cm wide and 80cm long.
Thanks
Chris.
I have been pondering on one of these for some time, likewise I don't have a high garage to work in. I had seen the one you linked to but I didn't like the idea of the tilting aspect of it.I was more thinking along the lines of: https://www.bendpakranger.co.uk/car-lift...ts/md-6xp/  just an example rather than a recommendation!

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Thanks Chris I agree I was going to leave it in the fixed horizontal position, The one you have shared looks a better lift, do you know how much it is?
Chris
Quote:The one you have shared looks a better lift, do you know how much it is?
Not sure, I was trying to remember a company that always have a stand at the NEC that sells these type of stands and other gear that always seems good quality. but for the life of me I cant!
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
I know CJ Autos display which is the one I suggested, They are extremely good value at £599 2 Ton but they dont lock off so I would suggest tall axle stands! Just found a better one by BH Repairs 2.7 Tons £1600 Hydraulic locks off in several positions, lower ground clearance and has an assortment of foot pads. Would make an ideal Christmas present?
There's a used one on eBay for £400 at the moment by the way...

Are we ok with lifting the car by the sills though? I normally would try to avoid that...?
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Ive always used the sill jacking points Richard...never had any problem.....they stay on there for months and months at a time.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
True, suppose so!!
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126

Just to clarify......i'm not talking about say, just being under one corner. Sad ........i'm taking about it being on a propper 2 post car lift and supported equally on all 4 jacking points......not a very good picture, but you can just make our the 'Red arms' which have individual screw adjusters to ensure it sits square and level. Rolleyes
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
I have finally installed my Wheel free lift and now no need to roll around on the floor!
The car runs fine but noticed that the main fuel filter is dated Aug 2010 changed by PJG, I also have a new one from Arran in stock. My only question is would you change it as it looks like a bugger to change even with a lift!
(02 Feb 2022, 12:32)Chris Collingwood Wrote: I have finally installed my Wheel free lift and now no need to roll around on the floor!
The car runs fine but noticed that the main fuel filter is dated Aug 2010 changed by PJG, I also have a new one from Arran in stock. My only question is would you change it as it looks like a bugger to change even with a lift!

With a filter that old, especially when you have the car up on the lift, i'd change it. I've had a recent bad experience with having a 6yr old filter still on my car. It's incredible what difference a new filter makes. Increased fuel pressure and flowrate. My advice is to undo the fuel hose from the top of the filter, and then unscrew the filter from the hardline rather than undo the compression fitting elbow on the hardline. Sometimes, you may need to wrap a bit of ptfe tape around the taper thread at the bottom of the filter to get it to seal there (I did), and I also had to use M12 copper compression washers rather than ordinary copper washers on the top hose banjo connection to get that one to seal fully too.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
As Rissy says, well worth doing.....I am contemplating changing the accumulator ...now that does look a tricky job!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
(02 Feb 2022, 14:14)Chris P Wrote: As Rissy says, well worth doing.....I am contemplating changing the accumulator ...now that does look a tricky job!

Not so hard. But again, I'd leave the hardline fittings in place, and cut (original hoses) off and replace with jubilee clipped ones.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Smile 
I'll definitely try that way Chris.......its not on my car, but Matts. Smile
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Thanks guys, I will report back!