Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help identifying electrical connection
I absolutely love* finding things unplugged in an engine bay...

Does anyone know what it is/does? It's at the rear of the engine. Appears to be on (or next to) the distributor. 

In this situation, the colur of the cables terminated into those plugs goes a long way to tell a more complete story, if you could share...? Smile
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
it's a bit fuzzy...a better photo would be good.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Probably the connector from the diagnostic socket....
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
New pictures. First one is the socket in question. The second is a homeless cable with corresponding shape connector. Problem solved right, just put the second one in the first one? It doesn't reach.

This is still very difficult without being there and looking myself, but here's what I'd test. Using my multimeter, i'd get belling-out to test for continuity.

That orange wire. If it is ONLY orange, and no stripe, which is what it looks like, then there is only ONE pure orange wire which breaches the bulkhead plugs into the engine bay.
It's for the "To engine diagnostic plug from Pin 17 of Lambda ECU" and it comes from the BLUE bulkhead plug (church spire plug) and is the top left hand side connection just below the top middle (only one middle) connection when you pull the plug out. Looking at the corresponding terminals on the blue plug itself at the connection side, this would then be top right hand pin. Easy to deduce by looking at the colour of the wire connecting to it.

That brown wire. If it is ONLY brown, is a bit more confusing because the only pure brown wire which breaches the bulkhead connections is the "Alternator Field wire from Alternator", but that should have nothing to do with the diagnostics plug because the only other wires which go into the diagnostics plug are black and purple. So it shouldn't be playing a part to the connections to the diagnositcs plug at all...?!

I can't be more help without more information....
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Almost certainly goes to engine diagnostic socket. Like me its probably disconnected from the actual socket to make it easier to connect the dwell meter to the spade connected to the orange wire. The other colour could be faded purple rather than brown.
Ian Beattie, Cumbria
Vin#2703 Aug 81 manual with black interior, grooved hood and gas flap
DOC 875