Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New member in Scotland saying hello
Hi everyone,

Just writing a quick hello as a new (old) member and enthusiast. I was originally member #347 about 15 or so years ago when Chris Parnham was club secretary (Hi Chris!) but unfortunately never made it to any of the big meets although I met a few from the club (Stuart Nicholls at the Edinburgh Fringe in 2006 and Stephen Knight in Ayr - not sure if they're still members...?) during that time and it was always a pleasure. 

I've recently re-joined the DOC after living and working abroad for 11 years. Financially, I'm slightly closer to owning a D than I was before but I've noticed the prices have risen considerably! 

Good to see there's a Scotland rep! I will drop James a line soon. I saw an old thread that mentioned monthly meetings just outside Edinburgh around 2015...? If anything like this started up again, I'd be keen to get involvedSmile 

Anyway, it's good to be back and I hope to meet some more members soon.

Mike
Near Penicuik, south of Edinburgh.
Hi Mike, welcome back to the Delorean circle!

We have a few members around similar areas or not too far from you. People are always keen to find an excuse to get their cars out of the garage, so i'm sure you'll have opportunities to have fun now that you're keeping your ear to the ground again (as it were).

James is a great guy, and a good friend of mine. I'm Scottish myself, and although I hail from Edinburgh (Currie) myself, and my car used to live there too (for nearly 10 years), I actually moved it down to the Midlands (Rugby) where I'm living now, in 2018. My close family are still up in Edinburgh, and before Covid, I visited at least three times a year for holidays. I'm sure I'll have my car up there for visits in the future (good excuse for a road trip), and even when I don't it's not unusual for me to meet up with friends (including James) while I'm up. So you never know. Maybe we'll meet some time in the future.

Until then, get involved, and have fun. Smile
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Hi Mike,
nice to see you back ...as you say, prices have gone up quite a bit in the UK...and even more in the USA. But if you average it out over the last few years ...its not as much as you might think.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Hello Mike! James here; I'm based up in Dunfermline these days, but try and get my car out as much as possible.

Another DeLorean potentially coming to Scotland makes me very happy Big Grin There has been a recent influx of owners up here over the past year, so I'm looking to arrange some events next summer (to give those with non-running projects a chance to get 'em going and a bit more stable). At the very least for a few shows, but we're talking about trying to coordinate a trip for the NC500 Smile
VIN 4494, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 757
Thanks for the replies, Rissy, Chris and James - great to hear from you all. 

Rissy - I know Currie well, I'm just over the Pentlands in Nine Mile Burn (off the A702 to Biggar) and take to the hills regularly on the mountain bike. Feel free to drop me a line next time you're up if you have some time to spare.

James - good to meet you here. I should emphasise the "slightly closer" to owning a car than before so it may still be a few years but definitely more determined than ever so hopefully it won't be too long! Do let me know if you're around Edinburgh at some point. I'll do the same if I'm near Dunfermline. Always up for trip out of town. Next summer plans sound cool, especially the NC 500 - give all the camper vans a run for their money  Wink

Best,

Mike
Hello Mike,

I am just over the border in North Cumbria so not too far away.

Ian
Ian Beattie, Cumbria
Vin#2703 Aug 81 manual with black interior, grooved hood and gas flap
DOC 875
(09 Aug 2021, 20:50)igb Wrote: Hello Mike,

I am just over the border in North Cumbria so not too far away.

Ian

Not far away at all, Ian - thanks for the shout Smile  I'm often down in Dumfries and Galloway so will drop you a line if I'm nearby.

Cheers!

Mike
Just a wee note; I set up a Facebook group chat for DeLorean folks up in Scotland. Owners or owners-to-be welcome Smile If anyone is wanting added, give me a shout with your deets.

Not exclusive to folks in Scotland if anyone in the borders wants added too, but figured it would be a good way to coordinate events/tech-days or shows up North now enough cars are up here and active in the club Smile
VIN 4494, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 757
Hiya, welcome back!
Stuart Nicholls still has his DeLorean and gets to events when work commitments allow.
Its nice to see more owners/members north of t'border too.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
(15 Aug 2021, 21:58)Guinney1971 Wrote: Hiya, welcome back!
Stuart Nicholls still has his DeLorean and gets to events when work commitments allow.
Its nice to see more owners/members north of t'border too.

Thanks, ClaireSmile

Good to hear Stuart's still an owner. He was up here helping to promote a BTTF-themed show at the Edinburgh Fringe back in '06 - was great to see a DeLorean zipping about the streets of the capital at night.

Best,

Mike