Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIN-5222 the dream has arrived
So Saturday was one of the most exciting parts of the restoration so far, the day she moved off the drive under her own power!!!  Big Grin after finally getting the rear brakes working fully (thank you Chris W for supplying 2 rear hoses out of the kit) and the amazing engine work from Rich Hutch, right side handbrake still needs some fine tuning but the car stays put when the handbrake is on so not a big issue just yet and the initial start-up took a while possibly due to being sat for a few weeks since last start  Confused woops.

also does anyone have a spare, right side door vent and a temperature valve housing lying around that they'd be willing to sell (I've spoke to Dave Howarth already but thought id ask just in case)

[video=facebook]http://www.facebook.com/groups/116227491775513/permalink/4765551526843063/[/video]
Vin: 5222, 81 grey auto "Ryuko"

2017 Ford Fiesta 1.0L EcoBoost (silver)

Club YouTube channel creator
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYJmbtB...DhNzZQPDlA 

Submit videos for the channel:
YTAdmin@deloreans.co.uk
I always thought the vents were supposed to be Jaguar XJS but it's actually quite different

HTTPS://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAGUAR-XJS-FA...635-2958-0
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
i'd never heard that one Will.....The only Jag stuff that comes to mind are the rear brakes, door locking mechanism and of course loads of stuff in the Visioneering car.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
So lts been a short while since a full update on here with progress, (mainly for those who didn't make it to the xmas meetup). I spent a few weeks chasing electrical problems for my passenger door, initially i had no power from the window switches to the actual door so i delved into the roof box and found no power there either, it eventually occurred to me that should follow the wiring that comes down past the rear window only to find the left door harness wasn't connected the whole time. Once connected power flowed once again!!, so on my list is to replace the window motors, bulbs and lock solenoids. Sent my fascias off for repaint, made my own trailing arm bolt brackets and had them powder coated in black. Now im waiting on a few bits and making a start on checking and repairing any wiring until the weather starts to get better and warm up a touch before getting back outside to finish the paint removal and other bits

YTAdmin@deloreans.co.uk
Keep at it Will....i understand that you are really taking to 'leaning on the job' with a bit of guidance from other club members
Jolly good luck to you. Smile
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Amazing amount of work you've done in such a short space of time, and
it was great to see the car last weekend too.

Glad the manual Phill lent you is coming in handy too! I got my Window
Motors from A1 Electric in the USA, really good service from them and they
work really nicely and are very well made.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
(10 Dec 2021, 08:22)Chris P Wrote: Keep at it Will....i understand that you are really taking to 'leaning on the job' with a bit of guidance from other club members
Jolly good luck to you. Smile

this is very true, Rich Hutch has given me plenty of guidance when it comes to the engine problems along with Rissy's advice to keep my roof box protected and other quality of life mods like a mesh grill over the front window drain to stop debris blocking it up  Big Grin

having the workshop manual in physical form has made everything easier over using my mobile version, hopefully I should be starting to put everything back together by March and off for MOT by May time, fingers crossed of course lol

im working on a scrapbook full of pictures to document the restoration so that i can look back at where 5222 started sometime in the future.

YTAdmin@deloreans.co.uk
1st update of 2022!!

over Christmas I've been getting my hands involved in the electrical side of things starting with getting the rear window defog wiring fixed due to both power and ground wires being cut, so the power wire has been fixed with a full fresh section of wire (from white/ black to a solid red  Tongue ). got 50% of a nextbase dashcam hardwire installed and finished adapting 1 of 2 new lock solenoids for the passenger door.

had a new blower resistor, stainless coolant tank and 2 new window motors delivered a few days ago so hopefully should have the passenger door 95% complete soon (besides seals and trim).

now ive noticed with the passenger drop glass i have the felt thing missing from the edge does anybody know what i need to replace it? also im unsure as to where to put some of the ground wires mainly the rear defog, and a few others that are bound to appear.

finally regarding the door switches, is there meant to be a brown? wire from divers side switches a circuit breaker (has 3 connections) and travels over to the passenger side switch?

YTAdmin@deloreans.co.uk
Update time!!

past few weeks have been spent working my way through odd jobs and getting the passenger door finished which is nearly ready to have all trim refitted. I managed to purchase a replacement windscreen from Uroglas and someone ready to fit it (trying to line up with garage door swap), both upper door cards have been stripped and re-padded (crack on passenger card repaired) and both interior rear panels have had the vinyl re-glued (not the best but not noticeable in certain angles).
rebuilt and repainted the rear panel (minus engine bay light bulb, fascia, brake lights and license plate lights), spent way too long trying to remove the drivers seat belt :p and replaced it and also swapped the oil sender finally eliminating the oil leak (although i might not have much left in the engine now haha).

and a story for those who haven't seen the fiasco i had the other week: so after getting my drop glass and window reg installed on the passenger door i decided to start the process of rebuilding the door so i could then tackle the drivers door, i refitted my "new" lock solenoid (no power connected) i checked that all mechanisms worked fine and closed the door, little did i know i'd left the locks engaged >_< and to no surprise the door got stuck big time, i tried the push down trick, tried my key but nothing was working. i quickly asked on the technical page on FB and messaged Ryan Harvey, Claire wright, Chris P and Rich Hutch for advice. the advice from FB was to try the secondary release on the latches (no success) then Rich Hutch's advice was to pull on all 4 rods very hard and my door popped right open (with someone pulling from outside). decided to pull both latches out and reset them and to my surprise the rear lock rod wasn't seated properly causing it to rub and have less movement (stuck in-between locked and unlocked). now after re-fitting all rods properly and some slight adjustment the door no longer gets stuck. happy days.

now a question for those of you who have Dgo's larger rear speakers (5 1/4" round) how have you fitted them as I'm aware some modification is required but I have no idea what it is?

YTAdmin@deloreans.co.uk
You've been busy William...I couldn't get my head around the door locking mechanism ....thankfully Andrew W helped me out.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
(26 Feb 2022, 21:51)Chris P Wrote: You've been busy William...I couldn't get my head around the door locking mechanism ....thankfully Andrew W helped me out.

yup, trying to power through what's left before June so i can be on the road to enjoy summer, what's left is: replace radio connector to modern one, replace windscreen, refit interior (once its returned from upholsterers), drivers door (window reg, solenoid, latch adjustment and strip last of paint), acquire and replace all lights, install front headlights then fascia's and LHR panel.

YTAdmin@deloreans.co.uk
Update time again  Big Grin  ,

I have been semi busy since the last update, so I made a start on the driver door internals after practically finishing the passenger side (minus vapour skin, door trim, sill seal and top seal) and oh boy was it a mess Cry , all rods for the latches were rustier than the titanic and a mouse nest that filled the bottom of the door (the joys).

2 of 3 door lights had had the wiring chewed through so had to completely replace 1 and repair the other with all new plugs/ connectors, window motor was removed and replaced, the grab handle bracket was heavily rusted where the screws were located.

now its all nice and shiny, clean and all functional again including my ability to fix the latch issue i was having with the door not requiring the handle to open by the magic of WD40, metal handle and a spring  Cool .

now the biggest job finished was finally replacing the windscreen, thankfully i managed to find a local windscreen guy who lives a few streets away who came to check out the car since he'd never done a DeLorean windscreen before, i'd done my research into the process too and we arranged to replace it while our garage door was being replaced, so the 17th rolls around and I got the car started (after lots of attempts)and onto the drive, got all the window trim removed and the roof support in place (2 ton trolley jack, 20cm of 2*2 wood and a rubber disc). the guy arrived and started cutting the original adhesive only to find out it keeps re-sticking to the glass so it took both of us to remove it by pulling it away as it was cut. I proceeded to remove both A pillars so i could refit them better and install my extra wiring (dashcam hardwire, backup camera and handsfree microphone) oh yes "Ryuko" got some upgrades  Cool , new windscreen got prepped and put in place nice and aligned, closed the doors gently and left her to sit for the day in the sun. 

I also decided to make a start on removing the paint from the door since i had lots of space to get at it and I took the right grill out from my engine cover as it was semi out already thanks to the split  Dodgy which i'll be addressing very soon so i can get her ass rebuilt XD.

managed to completely finish the left rear panel today and in a odd turn of events with the window trim off i noticed the top piece had some missing paint which i planned to repaint but i remember something Rich Hutch mentioned a little while back that that part is stainless sooo you can imagine what happened instead, completely stripped it just to see what it would look like on the car just out of curiosity. opinions are welcome on the look  Blush 

Registration documents are being sent to DVLA tomorrow!!!!  Cool   

YTAdmin@deloreans.co.uk
You've certainly been working hard on this Will, I'm sure you'll have it on the road within a few months!
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
(28 Mar 2022, 14:07)Guinney1971 Wrote: You've certainly been working hard on this Will, I'm sure you'll have it on the road within a few months!

Absolutely  Big Grin , had plenty of frustrating moments too but hoping to be ready by early-mid june in time for a few events (isle of man southern 100, eurotec and all our summer events) just got to sort the interior, exterior and get the startup sorted from 6-8 turns to 1-3   Confused

YTAdmin@deloreans.co.uk
This is potentially my last restoration update  Cool ,

So we start with the awesome news of #5222 receiving her V5!!! although the DVLA seem to think its a convertible?? but it means im all ready to hit the road once finished rather than wait for it to arrive. (took 4 weeks from when i sent it to them)

During the wait for my v5, i've removed my power antenna and a replacement is on standby ready to fit although im definitely missing the wiring that leads from the clear relay (another mystery of broken/missing wires). Fitted both rear speakers and got my radio hooked up (all work perfectly even though i lack front ones for now).

replaced the mirror glass with the convex ones from Dgo, it wasnt too bad to do as i only had 1 mirror to remove  Tongue i did notice i have 2 different plates inside (drivers one had a lip edge and filled the housing and passenger had an OEM plate so potentially replaced at some point).

fitted the LHR panel and got more paint off the drivers door, passenger door where mirror sits and the RHR edges cleaned up.

the engine has been running much better since having regular starts although running much richer than before due to not wanting to cold start easily but for the time being it takes about 2-3 turns (CPR needs a tune up from Rich Hutch before going on the road)

So according to my list of things to do i should be finished by May rather than June  Cool if all goes to plan lol.

Here we come!!!

YTAdmin@deloreans.co.uk