Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cold Start - (that old chesnut) Wet weather?
Try spraying the HT leads with WD40.
Rob Williams
DOC 475
VIN 17152
Its not a case of them being new or old matey, it appears by your description that you have water somewhere in the electrical system, maybe the plug wells, WD40 helps disperse this.

Are your leads the 'proper' fitting ones with the correct boots on them bud?
Dean,

is it worth having a word with the guy who set up your LPG installation?

Its possible the car may have a vacuum leak somewhere - Flopsy was idling all over the place before I got her sorted, you could set her up, then next time (ie 30 seconds later) you fired her up the mixture and idle was shot again.

Turned out she had a couple of vac leaks, and now they are sorted, she's fine - or as fine as she can be anyway!! :wink:

Cheers,
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
hi

i bought some non bougicord (spelling) for the B28 and they did not have the correct boots.

would have worked but would not keep water out the well.

took them back.

would now only use oem ones.
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
DeanMitchell.net Wrote:When the LPg installer hooked it up to his laptop he said he didn't know why it was running over rich on petrol - it was originally missing an idle screw and the hole had been siliconed over so he put the screw in but turning it either way wouldn't make it run any leaner. See what mr mobile tune says tomorrow.
hmmm.........by idle screws I take it you mean the 3 brass screws on the throttle body?

Mine was buggered, so I got a replacement a few years back. Cost about £60 s/hand tho from memory, so not cheap, but the brass screws were stuck fast so couldnt be adjusted, and they wouldnt drill out either. Is that Volvo scrapper still on the A1 up near Biggleswade? Might be worth giving them a call to see if they've got a half decent one.

Be interesting to know what tuning bod says. Did you get your gearbox sorted btw?
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
DeanMitchell.net Wrote:
Claire Usher Wrote:Dean,

is it worth having a word with the guy who set up your LPG installation?

Its possible the car may have a vacuum leak somewhere - Flopsy was idling all over the place before I got her sorted, you could set her up, then next time (ie 30 seconds later) you fired her up the mixture and idle was shot again.

Turned out she had a couple of vac leaks, and now they are sorted, she's fine - or as fine as she can be anyway!! :wink:

Cheers,

When the LPg installer hooked it up to his laptop he said he didn't know why it was running over rich on petrol - it was originally missing an idle screw and the hole had been siliconed over so he put the screw in but turning it either way wouldn't make it run any leaner. See what mr mobile tune says tomorrow.

I would do a fuel pressure test first.

The mixture screw is via the hole between the metering flap (where you have the gas ring) and the fuel distributor (black hexagonal lump of metal where the fuel pipes are connected).

If you don't have a cat then disconenct the O2 sensor (under drivers side wheelarch) adjust the mixture to between 1 to 1.5% CO.
Adjust only with engine stopped with a long 3mm allen key and re-plug the access hole before re-starting the engine to take a reading.

Your fuel curve on petrol and the cfm rate will be altered due to the gas ring that has a smaller diameter/ path on the inlet metering flap.

NickT.
As said earlier, disconnect the oxygen sensor prior to setting the fuel mixture. The fuel mixture should be between 1 and 1.5%

Also perform the same tests with your gas ring disconnected as per a normal engine.

You haven't said if you followed the procedure that I wrote in the delorean mag or not. Simple checking fuel pump pressure is not good enough.

RE The gearbox, the fuel pressure was suggested earlier on.

Always follow correct procedures rather than part swapping to get it working.

Disconnect your gas ring in its entirety first and correctly set it up on petrol first. Once this is OK, re-connect your gas ring and see if there are any differences in running on petrol. The gas ring looks way too restricive for petrol use.

NickT.