Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIN No. 1867
Bravo!!
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Nice! Excellent work. Looks nice and clean! Lube it up on the return path (including bolt shafts of Y-Pipe). I’m sure it’ll never be as bad as that again.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
is that a helicoil?
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Thanks for words of support everyone. It has been (and continues to be) a testing experience.

And yes, it's a helicoil.

I got everything reassembled at the weekend and had the car running briefly. I was looking for coolant leaks but found an ATF leak instead. It's those bloody transmission cooler lines I changed! So, it looks like the replacement lines need additional washers. DeLoreanGo say the washers are "not shown on the parts diagram" which I don't think is the fully story - they're not shown because they aren't on the original lines!
June '81 No. 1867
Update on 1867: washers installed on the transmission cooler lines - no more ATF leaks.

Since then, it developed two separate coolant leaks, both resolved by simply tightening the clamp. My experience of the silicon hoses so far is that they're easy to work with, but don't seal as well as rubber. Luckily both leaks were accessible, but I'm nervous about the same happening in the valley. I might cry if I had to take it all apart again!

Adjusted up the handbrake which was worthwhile. The handbrake has always been naff, which is especially noticeable on an automatic. It's still not great, but I'm happy to take a no-cost improvement.
June '81 No. 1867
(26 Mar 2024, 10:30)Justwatching Wrote: Update on 1867: washers installed on the transmission cooler lines - no more ATF leaks.

Since then, it developed two separate coolant leaks, both resolved by simply tightening the clamp. My experience of the silicon hoses so far is that they're easy to work with, but don't seal as well as rubber. Luckily both leaks were accessible, but I'm nervous about the same happening in the valley. I might cry if I had to take it all apart again!

Adjusted up the handbrake which was worthwhile. The handbrake has always been naff, which is especially noticeable on an automatic. It's still not great, but I'm happy to take a no-cost improvement.

i need to spend some more time adjusting my handbrake too, dont like how my car is held with the transmission in park, think my cables are due to be replaced as they hardly move the pads with max adjustment  Confused
Vin: 5222, 81 grey auto "Ryuko"

2017 Ford Fiesta 1.0L EcoBoost (silver)

Club YouTube channel creator
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYJmbtB...DhNzZQPDlA 

Submit videos for the channel:
YTAdmin@deloreans.co.uk
Check to see that the machanism at the pull handle end is all OK, sometimes the bracketry fractures.
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
(26 Mar 2024, 21:21)Chris Williams Wrote: Check to see that the machanism at the pull handle end is all OK, sometimes the bracketry fractures.

think my bracket is all okay, the cables never seemed to have much movement left in them when they were setup last time. i'll probably take it all apart again and attempt again and get new cables
Vin: 5222, 81 grey auto "Ryuko"

2017 Ford Fiesta 1.0L EcoBoost (silver)

Club YouTube channel creator
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYJmbtB...DhNzZQPDlA 

Submit videos for the channel:
YTAdmin@deloreans.co.uk