Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DeLorean Experience Rides @ Shenington Gliding Club, Oxon/ Warks
Hello all,

A few of you on here may know that as well as fiddling around with DeLoreans I am also doing a spot of learning to fly and glide, as time and Covid regulations permit.

A friend and colleague has asked me to help with a 'Crowdfunding' fundraiser for Shenington Gliding club (close to the British Motor Museum at Gaydon) where I had some of my first flights from on a works flying experience weekend. This is on the boundary between Warwickshire and Oxfordshire. 

I'm offering DeLorean Experience rides as rewards for Crowdfunding donations which have been launched to keep the not-for-profit club afloat. 

Due to the restrictions imposed by COVID regulations, this club is at imminent risk of closure which is a great shame as this is a voluntary organisation offering low cost flying training to young and old alike. Most future pilots have taken their first steps towards flying professionally from small rural airfields like Shenington.

So for anyone yet to buy a DeLorean of their own, or who is considering a purchase and would like a try-before-you-buy , or who would like to treat a friend or family member who would like a good look around and a chance for a ride out and any photo opportunities in my newly restored #6126, all while supporting a good cause, then I am offering them as part of this fundraiser. The rides are priced at £120 along with photo opportunities and an 'access all areas' look around the car. I will be based around the airfield all day on the chosen date.

For clarity, all proceeds go to the fundraising effort and I will be providing the car, time and fuel all at my own expense, PLUS making a donation of my own. I WILL NOT be making anything on the experience rides.

Details of the fundraiser are at:

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/save-sheni...iding-club

Pick the DeLorean ride under the 'Rewards’ section

VIN №6126

Additionally there are lots of other rewards available for various donations including Vintage and Light Aircraft air experience flights, trial glider flights, one day gliding courses and so on, which may be of interest to some members on here.

My first glider flight, 2019.

In fact a weekend gliding is something I have actually been considering arranging as a DOC event for some time. It is low cost, great fun, and promotes great teamwork and camraderie.  (please let me know if you would fancy that, anyone, and I can look to arrange this for later in the year)

My VW at Shenington in 2019.

Thanks all for reading, Rich
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Good on you, that's a great thing to do. Have had a couple of flying lessons myself and it is great fun (especially when you have someone with you who knows what they are doing) not sure I ever fancied gliding however, though I often watch them over my house from nearby Cambridge Gliding club
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Good stuff Chris, yes it is good fun, I've got a bit of a logbook building up for gliding and powered now. Gliding is only £12.50 for a winch launch (0-60 in about 4 secs!!) , and about 40p/Min once you're up, which is one of the appeals!

I've had several 1/2hr flights and one of 57 mins from a winch launch when there were good thermals - got to 4400'   Big Grin

As I say it's a great team thing especially with launching and retrieving, and I'd be happy to try to arrange a day or weekend for us if several people wanted to give it a try.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126