Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New member looking for first DeLorean
Greetings all,

New Member. Well, returning member actually. I previously joined in 2007 but was too young and broke to afford a DeLorean, so I shelved the idea. I'm now less young and less broke, but I see DeLorean prices have increased considerably in my absence. 

Like most people, I was introduced to the DeLorean as a youngster watching BTTF films, but it wasn't until I purchased a classic car magazine in 2004 as a day-dreaming teenager that I realised they were actually obtainable. I had been greatly misled about production numbers, so this was a revelation to me. On the bucket the DMC-12 went. 

I'm open to the idea of importing a car, but really only through BHCC as I need my hand holding. Naturally, I would be interested in a UK car if one becomes available. 

Anyway, I look forward to getting involved in the community and hopefully a DeLorean of my own.
Welcome back. We missed you. Smile

Seriously though, stop watching and get stuck in. The bug will bite deeper and it'll drive you, and your enthusiasm to overcome perceived hurdles to open up the path to getting that bucket car of yours. Technically, things will be more interesting to you once you have a car sat on the drive to play with, but until then you can simply soak up the friendly welcoming atmosphere of the bantering crowd. Come along to the club weekend at the end of July for instance.

As far as budgets are concerned, importing will be cheaper than buying a UK car for sure. Nothing like talking to people who know, and can fill you in on your concerns and/or education/appreciation of all things DeLorean. Time to get cracking before you yourself are....thrown in the bucket. (you see what i did there! :o) )
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Welcome back 'just watching' Smile

Its mad how much prices have shot up, especially since the BTTF 30th anniversary in 2015.

I suppose one small benefit is this year, with the cars starting to turn 40, that they are now
moving into 'Historic' tax class and also MOT exempt - although personally I think that is bonkers
and I'll be getting my car MOT'd every year once its back on the road.

Good luck with your search, many on here have used BHCC, and from what I've read they seem to
be very helpful for UK buyers.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Welcome BACK... to the Club!

Personally I think BHCC is an expensive way to buy a Delorean.
Yes there is peace of mind in getting a car but you're paying a premium for the service and IMO they're priced too high for the condition.

Plus shipping from the west coast is more expensive than East coast shipping. Might be worth seeking one out from DMC Florida, PJ Grady New York or DMC Midwest, Just like Simon did with 16195.

Facebook groups can also help with trusting the seller.

The ones I imported back in 2007 - 2010 were all bought from private sellers... now that's where the deals can be found.

Good luck in your search

Stu
DOC 116
VIN 6237
Despite my username, I've wasted no time in getting a DeLorean. I now own VIN No. 1867!
Welcome back, and congratulations on your purchase!! Was it a UK car you found for sale? Any work required? And whereabouts
 in the country are you? Feel free to stick up as many pictures as you can!!

It'd be great to meet as many new members as possible this year after a year of enforced hibernation, and our summer get-together could be a good opportunity to get to meet other owners if you were able to come along for some or all of it  Big Grin
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Good show chap. Glad you stopped looking and just went for it. What's the goss? I want to know everything.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
excellent news, chapter and verse on the new car please!
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
I'll give the car it's own thread. Pictures and many questions on my part to follow.

VIN No. 1867 (deloreans.co.uk)