Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIN #2045 (Bessie) Is Here!
The air box doesn't/shouldn't touch the rocker cover unless it is warped or melted. Any pics of the part?

Stu
DOC 116
VIN 6237
The air box rests on the inlet manifold , which should not get that hot under normal engine running conditions.
After a long run in mine - you can still comfortably put your hand on it without getting burnt.
Derfel aka Derv

Oct 1981 RHD DeLorean VIN 4890
1962 Beetle
2013 Transporter T5 Camper
(20 May 2021, 12:20)Stuart Rees Wrote: The air box doesn't/shouldn't touch the rocker cover unless it is warped or melted. Any pics of the part?

Stu

tragically, my mobile phone was on charge in the house whilst i was doing the job, and I slapped it all together again just to tidy it away before throwing the kids in the bath for the evening - but I will take it off again and will pop a picture up!

(20 May 2021, 12:22)Derfel Wrote: The air box rests on the inlet manifold , which should not get that hot under normal engine running conditions.
After a long run in mine - you can still comfortably put your hand on it without getting burnt.

Interesting - that was kind of my thought.  Wonder if this is indicative of an overheating incident at some point in the past..*
Hmm..
Cheers!

*perhaps tying in with my 'constantly on fans' issue!  Ooh, it's like being Miss Marple trying to work out the history..!  :-D
(20 May 2021, 08:50)lordivanhoe Wrote: Also leads me to a question, should I trust the waterproofness of my D in general?  If working well, will she be waterproof?
I've read differing thoughts on the subject!

This depends on whether or not a PO has put the effort in to try and sort out all the water leaks or not.

There was actually an official factory instructional notice back in the day which highlighted a good few of them, but not all.

https://cdn.preterhuman.net/texts/automo...-12.81.pdf

Everyone's car is different. I doubt there is a single one out there that doesn't have a leak as there is a fundamental flaw in the design of the doors, which allows water in to soak your carpets if it gets heavy enough, or wet for long enough.

I had 16 leak points in my car. I've fixed them all. Except the doors of course. So my car is a LOT drier than it used to be, but I still avoid leaving it out in the rain wherever I can.

There's only one sure fire way of finding out how yours performs...
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Welcome to the DeLorean world! It's like a big jig saw.
When I purchased mine - the previous owner said that he could not manage to "Burp" it correctly and that it kept overheating.
The reality was that the header tank was distorted which did not allow the pressure to build up sufficiently in the engine. Swapped the tank and cap over - then no issues at all!
Then the fans didn't work - which lead to more investigation - to find a dodgy connector near the otterstat!
Really does keep the mind active owning these cars! I love it.
Derfel aka Derv

Oct 1981 RHD DeLorean VIN 4890
1962 Beetle
2013 Transporter T5 Camper
(20 May 2021, 13:25)Rissy Wrote:
(20 May 2021, 08:50)lordivanhoe Wrote: Also leads me to a question, should I trust the waterproofness of my D in general?  If working well, will she be waterproof?
I've read differing thoughts on the subject!

This depends on whether or not a PO has put the effort in to try and sort out all the water leaks or not.

There was actually an official factory instructional notice back in the day which highlighted a good few of them, but not all.  (Having problems trying to find an internet source of it at work during lunch - I have a copy at home on my NAS drive - which i don't have on the internet)

Everyone's car is different.  I doubt there is a single one out there that doesn't have a leak as there is a fundamental flaw in the design of the doors, which allows water in to soak your carpets if it gets heavy enough, or wet for long enough.

I had 16 leak points in my car.  I've fixed them all.  Except the doors of course.  So my car is a LOT drier than it used to be, but I still avoid leaving it out in the rain wherever I can.

There's only one sure fire way of finding out how yours performs...

Yep.  Go and visit my family in Wales.  Every single time we go there it chucks it down!  :-D
Cheers!

(20 May 2021, 13:25)Derfel Wrote: Welcome to the DeLorean world! It's like a big jig saw.
When I purchased mine - the previous owner said that he could not manage to "Burp" it correctly and that it kept overheating.
The reality was that the header tank was distorted which did not allow the pressure to build up sufficiently in the engine. Swapped the tank and cap over - then no issues at all!
Then the fans didn't work - which lead to more investigation - to find a dodgy connector near the otterstat!
Really does keep the mind active owning these cars! I love it.

Yes, I've only had her a fortnight and already I'm spending every spare half hour on her!
Also, my daughters are loving getting involved, so it's great time with them and they're also learning with me.
Plus of course small hands are really useful for access to tricky places!!  :-D
edited my post above after i found the source of the bulletin i discussed.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
(20 May 2021, 13:38)Rissy Wrote: edited my post above after i found the source of the bulletin i discussed.

Downloaded a copy for perusal at my leisure later..
Thanks very much indeed!
:-)
Quote:However:
The lower air filter box had actually melted and had holes in it, where it apparently 'rests' on top of the engine block.
I note that DGo have a used one for sale or offer new ones, if it comes to it.
Never seen that before and I have seen a lot of them. Think I have sold all my old filter housings (probably the ones your looking at) you may find one on EBay if you search under Volvo 260/760. Some (not all) had the same filter fitted.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
(20 May 2021, 19:30)Chris Williams Wrote:
Quote:However:
The lower air filter box had actually melted and had holes in it, where it apparently 'rests' on top of the engine block.
I note that DGo have a used one for sale or offer new ones, if it comes to it.
Never seen that before and I have seen a lot of them. Think I have sold all my old filter housings (probably the ones your looking at) you may find one on EBay if you search under Volvo 260/760. Some (not all) had the same filter fitted.
Chris

Cool.  At least some more potential options if I muck up my planned repair..!

Picture of melted airbox added for horrified 'oohs'...!
(previous post)
It ain't pretty..
(25 May 2021, 09:51)lordivanhoe Wrote:
Picture of melted airbox added for horrified 'oohs'...!
(previous post)
It ain't pretty..

Wow!

That's a new one on me too.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Never seen that. I took my box off the other day to clean and reoil my K&N filter....finally. I made a point of looking at mine. There's a couple of small blemishes, i'll admit. But nothing like the extent of yours there! At least it's on a "flat spot". Some plate aluminium cut, sealed and pop rivetted into place (or something) into place should fix that ok.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):

Fix number 1.  I got a bit carried away and tried to go all fancy, with the bolts in the middle of the blue patch there to give a slight enforced clearance from the head.  Unfortunately it was too much and the air box simply wouldn't bolt back up!!
So, the bolts are gone now.
And I'm going to do something more subtle with sheet metal instead.
File under 'seemed like a nice idea at the time..!'
Remember the underside of the ait box practically sits right on the rocker cover when screwed into place properly. There's only a few mm clearance, so any fix will have to be a shallow one. No sticky outy bits.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):