Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A nice trip to stretch the legs of #11789
Hi.
I thought it appropriate to post on the forum the fact that I took my car on it's first (in my ownership) 100+ mile run from Cardiff to Barry then on to the Brecon Beacons and Storey Arms.
It was a very hot day and the car performed very well with the engine temperature not giving any cause for concern.

I did notice the New fuel pump howling away, and I guess that I may need to install a rubber air dam to prevent hot air passing over the fuel tank area? Any advice ?

It certainly brought a lot of smiles, toots, waving and picture taking.
It's been a tough 2 years 9of retirement) on this,my first DeLorean.

At last I no longer spend my day thinking about it lol.

Over the years I've received great support from Chris Williams, and even Chris Parnham managed to lever open my wallet when I purchased an ex pilot car hood from him. I believe that we both own quite a rare DeLorean front grill, but that's a story, to be told by somebody else, on another day.

I've already had some regraining work done by Chris Nicholson, on the drivers Rear Quarter, T section and Chris regrained the hood prior to my purchase. 
I'll remove the fascias, sills side lights to enable Chris to go to town on it and then install a new rubber side stripe.

It was never going to be a concourse car, but any modifications made have not been invasive.

Thanks again - it's a reality now, not just a dream (and at times .... nightmare).

Brecon Beacons Lay By hyper link to You tube video.

Attached Files Image(s)

Vin 11789 (probably #50 of the Middle East batch of 50)
Great to see it on the road spud..... Big Grin
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Fantastic. Brilliant to see it on the move. Gorgeous couple of days for a run out too.

Ps - yes your grille badge is unusual and Mr Parnhams in the only other one I have seen like it!!
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Thank you Chris and Rich. Since then I have taken it for some more short trips .... one to a nearby Castle - Castell Coch.

As expected, now the typical debugging procedures start.
Passenger window stopped working _Swopped a new switch over and still u/s. I'll get onto that one.
Frequency valve pipe (the screw in portion) has started weeping. New pipes on their way.
- that weep could have been nasty ... it's not one you can see as the air filter blocks it from view.

Then I can get the dwell checked again then I'll get it on a gas analyser.

As this was my first DeLorean, the restoration process has put me in good stead to fix issues like this.
I hope to see you guys sometime in the future.

P.S. Yeah that grill is a headscratcher??

Attached Files Image(s)

Is there a picture of this interesting grille/ grille badge?  (I can't seem to see the video)..  Sounds interesting!!
Really nice road trip and great pictures Smile
I believe that there will be an article on DeLorean grills coming up soon?
Great to see this on the road Spud.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Thank you Claire - Your comments are much appreciated.

I drove it another 100+ miles yesterday to visit Miles Reynolds-Cole and his Dad. We did some door adjustment so that the drivers door closes sooooooooo much better now. Pin and hinge adjustments were made by Miles. He needs to open his own business lol
We did some "Mixture" twiddling, and took the steering column out and replaced the bush. Wow .... what a difference a new bush made.

We had a run to a local pub for lunch, then returned back to Miles house and replaced his rear brake pads.

An interesting drive hom top Cardiff having some conversations with other drivers with the door open as we whiled away the time because of traffic gridlock.

Hey, out of interest, do your local police wave at you (in a nice way) when you drive your DeLorean?... they do here in Cardiff when I'm out n about lol

Also included is one from the other day when I drove it up to a Coffee shack on Caerphilly Mountain.

Attached Files Image(s)

Great to see it out and about Spud.....it seems a lifetime ago we met up at the NEC with the bonnet. (it was from vin 510, not the pilot car....I think!)

My MGJ,  has now clocked up 60 miles. I need to get my fans working now ..so I don't steam up! I went to a locar pub meet on Friday.....my photography is not as good as yours!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Yes indeed it was a little while ago. Ah, from 510 eh? I need to record this as there is very little history that came with the car.
The front suspension makes a load of noise - rattling !!!
I'm taking a look at it tomorrow ... but it's time to change the front shocks I fancy?
The rubber bushings on the anti sway bar look ok.

I'm guessing that the Spax option is the option people go for?

I'd like to remove the LCA's in the winter and box them in too.