Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Just bought a project! VIN 7128
Hi folks, I have been watching the forum for a long time and have only made a couple of posts but I thought it would be nice to share photos of my first DMC which will be on its way from east coast US in the next couple of weeks! I am as nervous as I am excited - actutally more excited than nervous but aware of a big undertaking in this car! 

The car is certainly going to need a good bit of work and will be a bit of a money pit however her chassis is good and the engine is nearly running well. Loads of work needs done to the interior and although there are no dings or dents it certainly will need some tlc on the exterior. 

I have no doubt I shall be seeking advice and help on this car and understand this is going to be a bit of work but I don't care, I am thrilled to finally be fulfilling a 10 year old boys dream. Have a look at the photos below. Any comments welcome positive or negative! 

Ps im based in Scotland so hopefully in the future can meet up with some owners once covid eventually blows over. 

Photo album - https://photos.app.goo.gl/NepwbrcWswNjStnf8

[Image: ACtC-3dq15zF9Ur8CSoSlpJp0MnEJ8uI_UgHWPr0...authuser=0]
[Image: ACtC-3fzE7bR3eEzGGk76tU3-TAK5gnWZFiEkiTl...authuser=0]
[Image: ACtC-3fflc1zFsjAnFepIRhEOtxDtYTr-dIiFzOv...authuser=0]
That's great news, it looks a nice car. I have always been a fan of the narrow stripe (I had it on my last car) There's loads of help available and someone has always 'been there before'
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
What a fantastic car! The Stainless looks in great condition and the frame is solid which should make the restoration relatively straight forward!
Nice one!
Derfel aka Derv

Oct 1981 RHD DeLorean VIN 4890
1962 Beetle
2013 Transporter T5 Camper
It looks a brilliant car.....i'd get the mole grips out and straighten up where someone has been careless placing the jack. Most of that should rub down OK and be fine once re-painted.

The Sun has fully toasted the interior.

Its unusual to see one where the engine has required such major work...in my experience. Good luck. i'm sure it will be fine.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Thanks for the comments guys. 

Yes, you can see she has been totally beat by the sun. It has been sitting inside for the last 10 years in NY and I doubt it has been sitting outside in NY previous to that as you would expect a heck of a lot of rust. The seller thinks she's been down in Miami before that so it would explain heat damage and lack of rust. I have been trying to identify the window stickers but the only clear ones are the NY ones. 

The engine certainly seems to have a good bit of work done to it and I should probably take that as a bad sign but ever the optimist I am hoping that a good clean out of the K-jets and a new fuel pump will sort her right out. Am I right in saying this is my first go to call or are there any other tricks I should use? 

The interior looks quite a job. I will get the leather re-done locally. Would you recommend getting the original seat covers or should a leather fitter be able to get something super close to the correct colour? I want the car to be as original as possible but balance costs too. I'm on the hunt for a replacement dash so give me a shout if anyone has one. I have read that the dash repairs aren't always so great. 

Again thanks for the comments. Beyond excited.
Good luck with the project, the car looks pretty straight and whatever you do keep those window stickers.
One bit of advice, if your going for a complete strip down invest in some parts boxes and a gopro with a head strap. That way you can record how you took the parts off and where you put them, it's a lot easier than taking photos!
I'm a great fan of "upgrading" to leather covered seats. Whilst not original - they will wear better in my opinion than what came out of the factory.

Deloreango.com have both leather and factory spec seat covers in stock.
Derfel aka Derv

1962 Beetle
Congratulation on your purchase Smile
Please keep us update with you work.
Quote:I am hoping that a good clean out of the K-jets and a new fuel pump will sort her right out. Am I right in saying this is my first go to call or are there any other tricks I should use? 
Certainly the very first thing you should do BEFORE even being tempted to put a battery or jump leads on it 'just' to see if it spins over ok.
Other than that the choice is yours, there are some cheaper seat covers out there (search LSeat or similar) there not as good as OE but a few US owners have fitted them fairly successfully. You can get a new dash but you may be able to get it re-trimmed, Lee Paterson is the go-to man. However I have also seen some super work done by local trimmers.

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
The fuel pump pick up and baffle assembly would definitely need a good going over as well as checking the pump works before even trying to start. The fuel tank is guaranteed to be full of gunk and would need cleaning and getting rid of the stale fuel at the same time.
Derfel aka Derv

1962 Beetle
Lee Paterson still has some of the origanal material and had recovered many sets that look factory fresh. If it were me, he would be my fist choice.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
There shouldnt be any question about who to get to sort out interiors. Here are some examples of Lees work and I will be sending off my interior to him hopefully this year.

http://www.deloreaneurotec.uk/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5593

Lseats are cheap and nasty, and DMCH seats have too many ripples and their reproduction dashes are plastic.
- DeLoryan
VIN 5219
Oct 81, Grey interior, 
manual, grooved hood
DOC 876
Congrats on the purchase, and good luck with the restoration.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Thanks for all the comments. Useful tips and will be sure to follow recommendations regarding fuel tank and lines. 

I imagine a fair few of you have had your cars imported from the US (I guess more or less all of you directly or indirectly!) and you know the feeling I have right now! I am like a child waiting for Christmas. I am listening to podcasts, reading forums a plenty and have watched too many youtube videos. I keep checking the photos of my car and notice things good and not so good each time! I have prepared some checklists for when the car arrives and will keep a journal of how the project rolls forward. Do a bit of video stuff so have contemplated a video diary but a.) I want to enjoy the build and really immerse myself in it and filming may just be a needless distraction because b.) it probably won't be interesting for anyone!

Anyway, i'm babbling on! Does anyone have experience on how long their car took to get from arriving at the port - through customs - then ready for collection? 

Many thanks
Mine took 8 weeks. It had a week delay in barcelona. Another owner recently had his within a month. 6 to 8 weeks is usually the estimate.

As for videos... i tend to not bother. Im in the zone and use my full attention on the job in hand. I tried to do a video before and it was too distracting. Instead, i just take photos. Ive actually printed them out and keep a journal. A nice little bit of history and keepsake for the next owner, even more so since people dont tend to print out their photos any more...

- DeLoryan
VIN 5219
Oct 81, Grey interior, 
manual, grooved hood
DOC 876