Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIN 4890
After 20 years of wanting - I finally managed to get myself a DeLorean.
Thanks to Chris Williams for putting me in touch wit the owner - I am now the proud owner of VIN 4890.
The car was imported from Chicago in 2014 by Chris Nicholson and converted to RHD for it's new owner.
Since being handed to the new owner - it only drove 1500 miles and has been off the road for the last 2 and a half years.
So it needed a bit of re-commissioning work.
So far the following work is needed - most issues related to the car not being driven for a long time and stored outside under a car cover.

Fuel pump issues - replaced with new pump, boot, pick up pipe reinforced with stainless spring, new filter, new baffle (original in tank incomplete). Now the car starts on the button.
Steering rack issues - missing bottom bracket retainer - Modified Left hand bracket from a round topped to a square topped one to physically hold the rack in place.
Steering notchy  and really heavy - discovered lower universal joint had nearly fully seized - new one on order.
Clutch slave cylinder not operational - New one on order - not looking forward to fitting this one!
Brake disks - surface rust  - but no pitting, nearly new pads . Hoping a bit of driving will refresh these - otherwise I'll be replacing them
Handbrake poor  - pads look fine so possibly needs adjusting.
Tyres - Front and back tyres cracked - Looking at options for replacement - quite  like the look of Cooper Cobra Radial for the rears. Anyone got them?
Engine - runs a bit rich on start-up - but settles down when warm - Need to look into this.
HVAC - fan runs  - but no air coming into cabin, also AC needs re-gassing. possible vacuum issue? 
Craig radio not working - plan to exchange this for a modern DAB model - Controversial !

Overall - the car is in fantastic condition - the frame is absolutely solid, the bodywork panels are in perfect condition - and all the pipes and perishable items have previously all been replaced. It will be a car that I will be proud of when it's all finished.

With the exception of the clutch slave cylinder, I cant believe how easy it is to work on the car. I'm really enjoying the puzzle of problem solving and repairing all the little bits. It's a great distraction from the current situation the country is in.  I have had so many positive chats with general members of the public - who just love the car.  

Overall a great experience!

I attach a photos and hope to meet up with you all on one of the club events in the future!

Derfel aka Derv

Oct 1981 RHD DeLorean VIN 4890
1962 Beetle
2013 Transporter T5 Camper
It looks great, although opinions vary, depending on how handy you are with spanners and confidence. The slave cylinder is easier to do from above, just remove all the fueling stuff, remembering to mark everything up first however!
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Congrats on the purchase.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Nice purchase, congrats.

I've always wondered, to hand over a LHD to someone recommended here in the UK for a fully competent RHD conversion in return? Ballpark, how much are we talking people?
(13 Mar 2021, 20:05)Guinney1971 Wrote: Congrats on the purchase.

Thanks Claire.

(13 Mar 2021, 20:24)mattjeh Wrote: Nice purchase, congrats.

I've always wondered, to hand over a LHD to someone recommended here in the UK for a fully competent RHD conversion in return? Ballpark, how much are we talking people?

Thanks,

Chris Nicholson of PJ Grady is the UK expert on DeLorean restoration and RHD conversions. It's quite a big job. Back in 2015 I heard a figure of £9k being quoted. So probably nearer £12k now. You can see the conversion work he has carried out on his website.
Derfel aka Derv

Oct 1981 RHD DeLorean VIN 4890
1962 Beetle
2013 Transporter T5 Camper