Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for a car
I used to be a member in the early 2000’s and had a look at a few cars for sale at the time , including a very nice one Chris Parnham had for sale. Which I wish I had purchased at the time.

However wife and kids came along and alas I never got round to it.

Kicking myself now as it would have been a fantastic investment!!

Anyway, I’m now in the position of being able to purchase a Delorean.

Does anyone have one for sale? Pretty flexible regarding the specs, but would want one with little or no work required.

Thanks.

Derv.
Derfel aka Derv

Oct 1981 RHD DeLorean VIN 4890
1962 Beetle
2013 Transporter T5 Camper
Hiya,

welcome back Derv.

I would suggest getting in touch with Chris Williams (Club Sec) as he often gets to hear of any UK cars for sale.

Good luck with your search,

Claire
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
(23 Feb 2021, 22:05)Guinney1971 Wrote: Hiya,

welcome back Derv.

I would suggest getting in touch with Chris  Williams (Club Sec) as he often gets to hear of any UK cars for sale.

Good luck with your search,

Claire

Hi Claire.

Been in touch with Chris and indeed he has put me in touch with one for sale.

Many Thanks.

Derv.
Derfel aka Derv

1962 Beetle
Excellent stuff, keep us posted :-)
I'm now the proud owner of VIN 4890 a RHD converted one.

Not been on the road for a while - so needs a bit of TLC to get it back to good health.

Started with stripping down the fuel pump and tank setup as it was diagnosed as preventing the car from starting. Bit of a mess so having fun re-building that.

Then got to look at the steering rack - which is slightly loose an needs addressing.

But really enjoying getting to know the car.
Derfel aka Derv

1962 Beetle
Congratulations Derfel....you really went for it with RHD!......I've re- commissioned a few of those over the years.

I'm not famila with this car, have you any history you can share?
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Hi Chris,

Nice to speak again. You invited me over to your place in Derby in the early 2000 when I was originally looking for a car. You had a lovely delivery mileage one at the time as well as one you called "Frenchie" which I wish i had purchased.

I wasn't originally looking for a RHD car - but Chris Williams gave me details of one available, so I ended up buying it .

Well the history of the car is that it was originally a Texas car painted black. - Chris Nicholson imported it back to the UK in 2014 and set about doing a full restoration - body off frame - and converted it to RHD at the time.  Since then - it was not driven about a 1000 miles by the previous owner and was off the road for the last two years. It still only has 15k on the clock. I'm now the lucky owner.

I'm now getting it ready to go back on the road.  The previous owner had complained that the fuel pump fuse kept blowing. Following a  bit of investigation, I discovered that the tank is full of a black gunk  which had blocked the filer . The pick up pipe was also very deteriorated and collapsed - so rebuilding all of that with all items .

One thing I could do with a bit of advice on is with regards the steering column and rack. Do you have by any chance any pictures of your setup on a "Woller Holdec" converted car. Id like to compare it to my setup. Currently my rack is loose and physically moving from side to side when turning the wheel . I've ordered some new bushes to see if that helps - but would be good to see what an official conversion looks like.

Thanks

Derv.
Derfel aka Derv

1962 Beetle
Congratulations Derfel, Welcome (Back) to the Club...

Sounds like you got lucky getting RHD too.
Have fun.

Stu
DOC 116
VIN 6237
Quote:One thing I could do with a bit of advice on is with regards the steering column and rack. Do you have by any chance any pictures of your setup on a "Woller Holdec" converted car. Id like to compare it to my setup. Currently my rack is loose and physically moving from side to side when turning the wheel . I've ordered some new bushes to see if that helps - but would be good to see what an official conversion looks like.
Would be worth speaking to ChrisN who did the conversion (and many others) as to what was used so he can point you in the right direction as to what to do/purchase from where.
I'm amazed the fuel system was so bad in such a short time, though I'm aware some of the rubber components supplied (especially in tank ones) were not up to scratch for a period of time and dissolved in the tank. I guess this is the worst of thee contamination.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
(01 Mar 2021, 17:26)Stuart Rees Wrote: Congratulations Derfel, Welcome (Back) to the Club...

Sounds like you got lucky getting RHD too.
Have fun.

Stu

Thanks Stu, 

Looking forward to joining in the club events once the restrictions are lifted!

Derv.

(01 Mar 2021, 21:46)Chris Williams Wrote:
Quote:One thing I could do with a bit of advice on is with regards the steering column and rack. Do you have by any chance any pictures of your setup on a "Woller Holdec" converted car. Id like to compare it to my setup. Currently my rack is loose and physically moving from side to side when turning the wheel . I've ordered some new bushes to see if that helps - but would be good to see what an official conversion looks like.
Would be worth speaking to ChrisN who did the conversion (and many others) as to what was used so he can point you in the right direction as to what to do/purchase from where.
I'm amazed the fuel system was so bad in such a short time, though I'm aware some of the rubber components supplied (especially in tank ones) were not up to scratch for a period of time and dissolved in the tank. I guess this is the worst of thee contamination.
Chris

Think I need to have a chat with Chris N.

A lot of the rubber components had gone sticky and horrible so I guess that's where the gunk must have come from as the tank looks like a relatively new plastic one.  Just need to make sure it's nice and clean before putting the new bits in. Could be a bit tricky as I don't plan to remove the tank. 

Thanks

Derv.
Derfel aka Derv

1962 Beetle
clean the tank with Acetone../ gloves etc it is vary flammable but you biggest danger is drying out your skin, you can buy a litre off eBay......I used to deal with 1,000's of gallons of it......but not whist smoking though! The tanks are pretty bulletproof.....the only real problem you can encounter, is if the fixed steel bolt that holds the pancake filter in place..is rusty. View Martin G's excellent youtube video about how to refit the filter.

I have new tanks, but you shouldn't need one.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
(02 Mar 2021, 09:05)Chris P Wrote: clean the tank with Acetone../ gloves etc it is vary flammable but you biggest danger is drying out your skin, you can buy a litre off eBay......I used to deal with 1,000's of gallons of  it......but not whist smoking though!  The tanks are pretty bulletproof.....the only real problem you can encounter, is if the fixed steel bolt that holds the pancake filter in place..is rusty.  View Martin G's excellent youtube video about how to refit the filter.

I have new tanks, but you shouldn't need one.

Thanks Chris for the Tips.

I was lucky the bolt that holds the filter came off quite easily, although when I took the unit out - it was missing the bottom section and one of the wire clips - so have them on order as well. Planning to change the fuel filter at the same time so it's all nice and new.
Derfel aka Derv

1962 Beetle
Congrats on the purchase, hope the recommissioning goes well.
(04 Mar 2021, 17:26)Guinney1971 Wrote: Congrats on the purchase, hope the recommissioning goes well.

Thanks Claire,

Having fun getting to know the car.

Fuel system done - just hope it starts when I get some petrol later ! all fingers and toes crossed!!

Looking forward to joining in the club activities when it's all finished! 

Derv.
Derfel aka Derv

1962 Beetle
A puff of brake disc cleaner down the air intake can often wake them up.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian