Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
US->UK importing; tax(es)..?
Hi All!
Quick one, I'm sure I spotted a thread on the forum somewhere but I'm damned if I can find it.. (again)!
If importing from the US, IIRC on the import form there's some sort of box to tick that a DeLorean is a 're-import', and if you do this correctly then the only import 'tax' one gets at the UK end is a VAT charge at 5% (plus some port fees, &c).
Is that right?  I only ask 'cos I saw something elsewhere which suggested you'd pay a 5% 'import tax' and then VAT in addition.  Obviously this would make quite a difference..!
Grateful if someone could chip in with knowledge or experience.  
I'm trying to make the 'man maths' add up (in theory at least, so I can get saving!) and it would be good to have all the right factors added in!!
If I'm going to try and use Excel I may's well get it right...
Cheers!
Ivan.

No signature block at present, but I see most people have one (I must work that out!) so, in text for now:
Currently Running:
'Sabrina' - Silver Royale Sabre Convertible, 3.4l V6, E1 54BRE
'Felicity' - Silver Honda Accord 2.0DTEC, FE09YYO
'The Car with No Name' - Silver Ford Mondeo Ghia 2.5Turbo, AK07URG
[Bizzarely, I've only just realised on writing that down that they're all silver!]
:-D
I'm not the person to answer your question, but I believe the part of the process you're asking about is referred to as the repatriation of a vehicle where this country is its original place of build and you're wishing to return it; which differs from a vehicle being moved in from someplace else where it's never been here before.

Repatriation is supposed to be cheaper in tax than importing.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
(19 Feb 2021, 16:25)Rissy Wrote: I'm not the person to answer your question, but I believe the part of the process you're asking about is referred to as the repatriation of a vehicle where this country is its original place of build and you're wishing to return it; which differs from a vehicle being moved in from someplace else where it's never been here before.

Repatriation is supposed to be cheaper in tax than importing.

Hey Rissy, thank you!  'Repatriation' is probably the word I was trying to think of but couldn't get.. will see what UK Gov website says about that!
Cheers,
Ivan.
:-)
hiya,

'back in the day' when lots of us were bringing cars in during the early 2000's, there was a form called a BTI or
Binding Tarriff Information form, which got the car a lower rate of VAT as it was a 'historic car of UK manufacture'.

However, HMRC/C&E tried to rescind this, as there was that many cars coming over, that they said they 'cant be that
rare'.

If you drop Chris Williams an email, he might be able to update you on the current position regarding import taxes
on DeLoreans. Also, bear in mind since Brexit, that cars coming in from Europe are now (apparantly) subject to
20% VAT, so for anyone thinking of bringing in a car from an EU member state you will need to check this. As for the
USA, I'm not sure, its over 18yrs since I bought my car in from California.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
This is probably what you read previously: http://deloreans.co.uk/info/importing-delorean/
Some bits are a little out of date but most is still applicable. Any questions just ask.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Hey, thanks Claire and Chris! I think that was the link I saw,
Just reading around it sounds like classics over 30 years old, as long as essentially unmodified, get the import duty exemption and only 5percent VAT. I'll try to call HMRC just to check that's not randomly changed with Brexit!! If I get anything definitive I'll post it up somewhere on the site. Cheers! Ivan
(20 Feb 2021, 23:38)lordivanhoe Wrote: Hey, thanks Claire and Chris! I think that was the link I saw,
Just reading around it sounds like classics over 30 years old, as long as essentially unmodified, get the import duty exemption and only 5percent VAT. I'll try to call HMRC just to check that's not randomly changed with Brexit!! If I get anything definitive I'll post it up somewhere on the site. Cheers! Ivan

hopefully it still stands with US imports (EU might have altered??), imagine the impact it would have on the import car community here if its changed to something crazy?
Vin: 5222, 81 grey auto "Ryuko"

2017 Ford Fiesta 1.0L EcoBoost (silver)

Club YouTube channel creator
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYJmbtB...DhNzZQPDlA 

Submit videos for the channel:
YTAdmin@deloreans.co.uk
(21 Feb 2021, 01:32)theningiachicken Wrote:
(20 Feb 2021, 23:38)lordivanhoe Wrote: Hey, thanks Claire and Chris! I think that was the link I saw,

hopefully it still stands with US imports (EU might have altered??), imagine the impact it would have on the import car community here if its changed to something crazy?

Fingers crossed, aye!! It'd be disastrous!