Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DeLorean wanted, manual, grey interior
Hi all. This is my first time posing on a forum so be gentle with me, I'll probably mess something up so expect this post to finish at a random point and start again in a new post...

Anyhow. I'm on the lookout for a DeLorean (manual, ideally grey interior) and was wondering if any owners are considering selling. I'm in no rush and with the current covid situation I don't feel it is right to go viewing cars at people's houses so it is more a case of anyone who is thinking about it dropping me a line and starting a conversation for when the lockdown is lifted and we might be able to take it further. I'm happy to pay the market value, I'd just rather avoid an auction (I viewed the car that just sold and if I was the new owner I'd be a little peeved), and as I said, I'm in no rush. It's taken a fair while to get to this stage so a bit longer isn't an issue and it is a car for life, to sit next to my Spitfire I've owned for 23 years and drip oil together. I imagine you have a fair few chancers posting but I have spoken to Chris and hopefully if you are a bit suspicious he can set your mind at rest that I'm a genuine buyer.

Cheers, I think I managed to get through the post without messing anything up...

Jon
Hi Jon, good luck with your search....take a tip from me and move quickly if you do find one you like.

A cash deposit in your pocket is a very good idea.

They don't normal drip oil......if it does ..say from the back of the engine, that is probably the rear crankshaft seal. I'd want a grand or two off, if it were me. The oil pressure switches sometimes drip...a very quick and cheap fix.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
(29 Jan 2021, 19:28)Chris P Wrote: Hi Jon, good luck with your search....take a tip from me and move quickly if you do find one you like.

A cash deposit in your pocket is a very good idea.

They don't normal drip oil......if it does ..say from the back of the engine, that is probably the rear crankshaft seal. I'd want a grand or two off, if it were me.  The oil pressure switches sometimes drip...a very quick and cheap fix.

Thanks. Fingers' crossed.
Quote:They don't normal drip oil......if it does ..say from the back of the engine, that is probably the rear crankshaft seal. I'd want a grand or two off,
You mean the self-lubricating, self-corrosion prevention mechanism? that surly adds money not subtracts doesn't it???  Big Grin Big Grin

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
(29 Jan 2021, 21:06)Chris Williams Wrote:
Quote:They don't normal drip oil......if it does ..say from the back of the engine, that is probably the rear crankshaft seal. I'd want a grand or two off,
You mean the self-lubricating, self-corrosion prevention mechanism? that surly adds money not subtracts doesn't it???  Big Grin Big Grin

Chris

If it does my spitfire is worth a fortune.
Ooooohh no. I've finally got to the point where my car is no longer a wet rag. Nice and dry and clean now. And now you're telling me the corrosion is set to begin as a result! DOH! :-D

Welcome to the madhouse Jon!
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Welcome Jon,
Have you looked into importing one from the US?
Always worth speaking to someone like Rob Grady at PJ Grady in New York, or even Beverley Hills Car Club - although
they do seem to have more project cars then turnkey ones.
Often worth keeping in touch with the US Forums and Facebook groups (DeLorean Fanatics is quite a busy one on Facebook),
and your bound to find someone in the US prepared to go and check over a car for you.
Best of luck with your search,
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
(02 Feb 2021, 16:41)Guinney1971 Wrote: Welcome Jon,
Always worth speaking to someone like Rob Grady at PJ Grady in New York, or even Beverley Hills Car Club - although
Often worth keeping in touch with the US Forums and Facebook groups (DeLorean Fanatics is quite a busy one on Facebook),
and your bound to find someone in the US prepared to go and check over a car for you.

Claire

Thanks for the advice, I'm exploring a few avenues. The ones on the BHCC do look a little bit like a gamble. A very expensive gamble! I'd rather be a little more secure when spending my kids uni fund. That said, he is less than two so I have a few more years to replace the fund...

Jon
Quite a few on here have bought from BHCC, mostly project cars, but they do seem a helpful company
to deal with from what some folks have said.
Good luck with the search, and replacing the Uni funds :-)
(02 Feb 2021, 21:22)Jonurry Wrote:
(02 Feb 2021, 16:41)Guinney1971 Wrote: Welcome Jon,

Claire

Thanks for the advice, I'm exploring a few avenues. The ones on the BHCC do look a little bit like a gamble. A very expensive gamble! I'd rather be a little more secure when spending my kids uni fund. That said, he is less than two so I have a few more years to replace the fund...

Jon

I'm a BHCC buyer and I was very happy with the service and the car.

Now.. if you want a project, have a look. If you don't, then perhaps... don't. I could scare you. Smile
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566
Former Vins# 5641 (Maddie) and 5284 (Hana)

(03 Feb 2021, 15:21)Dan Willis Wrote: I'm a BHCC buyer and I was very happy with the service and the car.

Now.. if you want a project, have a look. If you don't, then perhaps... don't. I could scare you. Smile

I agree some BHCC cars are extremely questionable, their cars range from really far gone (anyone remember the car we know they dragged with a forklift due to its smashed right rear and sitting flat on the floor), bargains that need some work or decent cars that need minimal/ essential repairs or upgrades like replacing fuel lines, seals, ect.

I'm hoping for one in the bargain region from them, but seeing as though covid has set me back possibly a month or so, I will be holding off till I'm back to being stable to care for the "stainless child".
Vin: 5222, 81 grey auto "Ryuko"

2017 Ford Fiesta 1.0L EcoBoost (silver)

Club YouTube channel creator
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYJmbtB...DhNzZQPDlA 

Submit videos for the channel:
YTAdmin@deloreans.co.uk
(03 Feb 2021, 23:16)theningiachicken Wrote:
(03 Feb 2021, 15:21)Dan Willis Wrote: I'm a BHCC buyer and I was very happy with the service and the car.

I agree some BHCC cars are extremely questionable, their cars range from really far gone (anyone remember the car we know they dragged with a forklift due to its smashed right rear and sitting flat on the floor), bargains that need some work or decent cars that need minimal/ essential repairs or upgrades like replacing fuel lines, seals, ect.

I'm hoping for one in the bargain region from them, but seeing as though covid has set me back possibly a month or so, I will be holding off till I'm back to being stable to care for the "stainless child".

I believe I purchased in the September (this is 6.5 years ago) and got the car a couple months later, so don't let that stop you if the "right car" is available.
i've imported three over the past 20+ years and the first and last were "sight unseen". The second, I flew out, drove it and imported it. That was a good car. Car three, well, it looked a mess (but solid, especially the frame), and that has wrung true. However, I expected a ground up restoration, and I've been granted it. I'm some £15k in parts so far and haven't touched the body or interior (so cosmetically it looks worse, somehow!).

The saying, 20 years ago was "Every DeLorean is a £20k car" regardless of purchase. I'd hazard that is nearing double (mine will be). So, go in eyes open and you won't be disappointed. Just assume anything rubber, sealed or perishable has past its best.
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566

The days of a cheap project car are long gone, I paid £2865 + shipping for #2292 back in 2002, and I thought that was expensive, as back then a half decent car was in the £10-12k mark and good ones were £15-17k.

I think to date, #2292 owes me about £11k, once we've got the engine swap done, sorted the chassis, headliners, etc, she'll owe me about £14k max and be worth in the region of £30k even with a non PRV engine. Value is immaterial to me though, as I've no intention of ever selling the car. She and Sorbet will be passed down to our daughters when we shuffle off this mortal coil.
(06 Feb 2021, 17:49)Guinney1971 Wrote: The days of a cheap project car are long gone, I paid £2865 + shipping for #2292 back in 2002, and I thought that was expensive, as back then a half decent car was in the £10-12k mark and good ones were £15-17k.

I think to date, #2292 owes me about £11k, once we've got the engine swap done, sorted the chassis, headliners, etc, she'll owe me about £14k max and be worth in the region of £30k even with a non PRV engine.  Value is immaterial to me though, as I've no intention of ever selling the car.  She and Sorbet will be passed down to our daughters when we shuffle off this mortal coil.

Agreed; my "good" car in 2002(ish) was £14k. My ropey one is 2016 was £9k+shipping, and I jumped on that as it was "cheap"! I wonder, if you tracked the figures and corrected for inflation, where you'd be at now? There's no car out there you can buy for £2865, or the £4700 it would be today (corrected), so it was a bargain however you look at it. As you say, it's meaningless anyway; it's only "worth" something if/when you are selling (or for insurance).

I'm tracking every penny; I'm more than my car's 2016 value in parts alone to date, and a fair bit on the chassis and labour. Worth it though, methinks. I may try and correct the final figures to allow for the changes in economy to make it make sense for any prospective project-buyer (as much a warning as a guide!).
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566

(08 Feb 2021, 10:54)Dan Willis Wrote:
(06 Feb 2021, 17:49)Guinney1971 Wrote: The days of a cheap project car are long gone, I paid £2865 + shipping for #2292 back in 2002, and I thought that was expensive, as back then a half decent car was in the £10-12k mark and good ones were £15-17k.

I think to date, #2292 owes me about £11k, once we've got the engine swap done, sorted the chassis, headliners, etc, she'll owe me about £14k max and be worth in the region of £30k even with a non PRV engine.  Value is immaterial to me though, as I've no intention of ever selling the car.  She and Sorbet will be passed down to our daughters when we shuffle off this mortal coil.

Agreed; my "good" car in 2002(ish) was £14k. My ropey one is 2016 was £9k+shipping, and I jumped on that as it was "cheap"! I wonder, if you tracked the figures and corrected for inflation, where you'd be at now? There's no car out there you can buy for £2865, or the £4700 it would be today (corrected), so it was a bargain however you look at it. As you say, it's meaningless anyway; it's only "worth" something if/when you are selling (or for insurance).

I'm tracking every penny; I'm more than my car's 2016 value in parts alone to date, and a fair bit on the chassis and labour. Worth it though, methinks. I may try and correct the final figures to allow for the changes in economy to make it make sense for any prospective project-buyer (as much a warning as a guide!).
Definitely worth pricing it up to today's value Dan gives people like me a good idea on what they'll be sinking their money into (Although I roughly know)

And Claire I agree value is nothing if its that important to you (except insurance reasons) id imagine Flopsy and Sorbet will be well looked after by your girls when that time comes (not for a long time though  Big Grin ).
id be exactly the same when I get mine, no amount of money covers sentimental value id rather family kept it as memory of my madness
Vin: 5222, 81 grey auto "Ryuko"

2017 Ford Fiesta 1.0L EcoBoost (silver)

Club YouTube channel creator
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYJmbtB...DhNzZQPDlA 

Submit videos for the channel:
YTAdmin@deloreans.co.uk