Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
B28E SWAP
I have now got a Volvo 760 sat in my drive with a Donor engine for my seized #2307

I would appreciate and advice fellow swappers may have.

I understand I need to.
Remove and swap sump and lower crankcase
Crank pulley
Alternator mounts
Oil and temp switches
Flywheel

I am planning on keeping all the Volvo fuel and ignition distributor 
Questions?
Do I need any other ecu or other parts from the old Volvo or old Delorean engine?
Darren
I can't help I'm afraid, never done it.....but I'd be interested in the answer, as I have a DeLorean and a Peugeot engine awaiting similar work. Thinking about it...I've had them for nearly 20 years.....so no rush!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
#2307 not far from my #2292 which also has a blown engine (block rot). I'm now exploring going the Rover V8 route, going to measure up a mates TVR350i on Sunday to see what the dimensions are.
Best person to speak to is Chris Williams, as he's aufait with the Volvo/DeLorean side of the the engines.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Thanks Claire will ask him for some input. Good luck with the rover v8. I did think of it!
Lightbulb 
HI,
Sad to say I have done a few!! Not really difficult to be fair, get yourself a Haynes 260 book if you can as it has a great section on the B28 with exploded diagrams and all the torque settings in it for a start. You seem to have listed most of the bits you need to do so clearly have a good idea around this, I have never worried about the ECU's there are a lot of 'experts' who will tell you all kinds of horror stories around fuel pressures and try to baffle you but they are a lot easier to work on than you may think.
IIRC (and a lot makes sense when you have them both side by side) Drain oil, as your working with the engine upside down for a start! main difference is the sump and 'sandwich plate' (lower carankcase) that need to be swapped over from the D one and torqued down correctly. The rest is all fairly easy, just a case of swapping over brackets/parts/drain plugs and lots of little bits. Most become very obvious when you have them both out together. You 'may' have to slightly alter your D rocker covers on the underside (use these on the Volvo engine rather than the Volvo ones, one 'probably' has a vacuum pump on it anyway). The Volvo has high lift cams/rockers and you may have to remove some casting ridges on the underside of your D rocker covers (compare the Volvo ones to your D ones) otherwise you will have no compression (don't ask how I found that one out). Good time to go into the VOD and clean it all out before installing your new engine back in especially if you have it on a stand for working on it/cleaning it. If you have all the fuelling side from the Volvo then use this rather than the D stuff as it's much better suited for the Volvo, and there is 'usually' no frequency valve on a Volvo, same with the dizzy leave that alone. Probably other things I have forgotten so may come back and edit this!
Chris
BTW I'm happy to take the old one off your hands (or at least the block/fuelling system) to build another good one for another owner.
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
blimey, never knew there was so much involved swapping to a B28E from a DMC PRV. As well as exploring the V8 route, we've also
got someone who's got a load of old V6 Turbo engines, but condition unknown.
All good fun eh......
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Thanks all. Will look for the Haynes Manual Chris mentioned and take it as it comes when I get the engines side by side.
You should find them on ebay for next to nothing. I got one for £3 a few months back

- DeLoryan
VIN 5219
Oct 81, Grey interior, 
manual, grooved hood
DOC 876
Several at £5-6 inc postage....
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Thanks guys, I ordered a used one this morning.
So did I ......it might even spur me on to tackle the job...
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
I ordered one of these last year following Chris W's advice whilst troubleshooting a starting issue. Its great and the pictures and explanations are spot on.

You have to take into account the occasional oddity such as the engine being in the rear of course (lol)
Quote:blimey, never knew there was so much involved swapping to a B28E from a DMC PRV.
Probably reads worse than it is, other than the sump and 'sandwich plate' it's all fairly small stuff really.
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Well i have finally made a push to get this done. 

Pictures below tell the story

Volvo Engine removed and Volvo Sold off

Delorean Engine and Auto Box removed

Swap just started for cross over parts - First issue - Rocker covers fouling as advised by Chris. I was going to make a blank plate but just re read Chris's advice. Grinder will be out next.

I am trying to understand if my auto selector cable is seized. Looking for someone to guide me on how easy / much it should move by hand.

Darren
Any issues, give me a shout but if you can pull an engine out I'm sure that you can cope with most of the rest. I would be interested in taking some of the old parts off you if your looking at selling some of them.
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584