Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brake pipe thread
Hi folks, does anybody know off the top what the brake pipe thread spec is please?

I'm trying to fit the new Goodridge brake flexis

I bought at the NEC but the large nuts which supposedly fit into the hexagonal recesses on the frame

are too big by quite a lot - like 17mm AF instead of 15mm

or thereabouts. It's the same all round and on the trailing arms too.

How have people managed to get these to fit? And or where did people track down the correct size nuts?

I know nobody said this would be easy, but I do think this bit would be straight forward!!

Thanks all, Rich

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
That's genuinely odd, we have sold literally dozens of these and no one has ever mentioned that. I will have a look later to see if what you have is from the last batch. It may be they have sent the wrong nuts.
Chris

Edit, Thought, are the nuts, not simply locking nuts the smaller end goes into the recess and the larger nut then fits on to lock it in place????????
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Oh, that would be great, thank you! I did wonder if that might have been it as there was no previous mention of it on here that I could find, so I'd be surprised if it was a common problem.

Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Re: edit - not sure how I would be able to tighten against this if it didn't have a larger nut to prevent it from spinning, and no way to access the smaller hex inside this hollow hex?    

I could of course just file them down to fit but 6 faces X 8 nuts = tedious!
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
OK, think I understand the confusion now, they come supplied with x8 nuts, however you only require the 4 to secure them in. They are designed to be fitted as you have shown in your last picture. Yes there not perfect and most have to insert a screwdriver to 'jam' them in place, ALL replacements are the same I'm afraid HEL's were the same (and still are) They are supplied with 8 securing nuts for if the frames have been modified are a new frame is being used as they have different fittings, just a metal plate with a hole in not a recess like you still have.
Hope this helps.
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Ok cheers I'll see what I can do. I suspect it might be a sod to get anything tight enough in there to be able to tighten against! I wonder about buying and butchering a thin-walled socket to fit down there.

Do you happen to know the thread size at all, off the top? In case I can find some nuts to fit which will fit inside the hollow hexes?

Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Richard, it shouldn't be a problem ..just poke it down and put the nut on the other side...it works..well it always has for me....getting it undone again is another matter!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
        Here you go....
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Thank you! Did you use a grippy washer under the nut there?

It looks like the hexes on yours are a tight fit in the hollows.

Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
I did put one under the nut and it tightened up fine, I don't think it should spin in the recess, if it does poke a screwdriver down to stop it rotating. Once it's tight, its not going to try and move again. I know you are a RR man Richard.....forget RR and think more Lotus!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Haha - like it!!

Less "Take the best that exists and make it better" (Henry Royce) and more "Why would I take a washer for a ride round the track?" (Colin Chapman)!

(Yes it does spin completely freely within the recess by the way!!)

Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Quote:Do you happen to know the thread size at all, off the top? In case I can find some nuts to fit which will fit inside the hollow hexes?
Sorry no I don't. The ones ChrisP has are the HEL ones I first had made now sold by everyone else. The ones I have now are Goodridge as the safety certificate covers more countries especially the TUV one for German owners that seem to prefer them.
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
No worries! I think I have measured it as 3/8" UNF 24 TPI, by the way. I've ordered a few half-nuts with a nominal 14.3mm AF. Let's see!

Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Quote:No worries! I think I have measured it as 3/8" UNF 24 TPI, by the way. I've ordered a few half-nuts with a nominal 14.3mm AF. Let's see
Please let me know how you get on, I can always order them in bulk and 'add' them to the boxes for other 'perfectionists' Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin  All jokes aside if they work then that would be a good plan.
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
(12 May 2020, 21:50)Chris Williams Wrote:
Quote:Do you happen to know the thread size at all, off the top? In case I can find some nuts to fit which will fit inside the hollow hexes?
Sorry no I don't. The ones ChrisP has are the HEL ones I first had made now sold by everyone else. The ones I have now are Goodridge as the safety certificate covers more countries especially the TUV one for German owners that seem to prefer them.

The one's I used had been in my stock for several years. They work just fine.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian