Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIN#6126 Chassis restoration
Thanks very much.

Brakes bled now so not far off a roll out. It seems to be running beautifully.  

Also done the headlights, tail lights and lots of electrical fettling too, cleaning up contacts and earth loops and bulb holders etc.

Done some repairs on the lower air scoop and cleaned up the lower exterior windscreen grille too which is a nightmare!

I have swapped the main battery cables through the body tub. And put some new battery terminals on.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Great work Rich,

She’s looking brilliant mate!!

Tris
DOC #230

VIN 11477 Jan '82
2010 Range Rover V8
2013 Mini Cooper S Works

Tristan J Carroll
Swansea, South Wales
(17 Mar 2021, 17:33)Rissy Wrote: Looking good Rich.  Just goes to show typically how long one can expect to take their car off the road for a chassis off job if it's to be done properly.  I'm interested to learn myself about the best new modern approach to bumper repainting.  My bumpers are awful, and really pull down the whole appearance of the car.  I'm hoping to get them repainted/refinished at some point over the next few years....if you can enlighten my to what you have learned.

The paint was some stuff I've not heard of before. I went to a great place called Autosupplies near Chesterfield and showed them a fascia. I explained that they are much more flexible than a modern plastic bumper. And that you need full use of that flexibility eg when fitting or removing and adjusting headlights etc. My problem had always been crazing of the lacquer.

You have a couple of options. 

1. Either primer with 30% flexible additive, colour coat, then lacquer also with 30% flexible additive. Trouble is this can only be done if you are geared up for proper spraying yourself eg air line etc, which I'm not.

2. Next suggestion was PVC based paint which they can put in an aerosol for you. Normal range of colours to choose from so I matched up to some old Paint I had exposed. But the full range was available. Apparently this paint is designed for curtain sided lorries so will stick to flexible surfaces. Can be applied with or without primer and can be done with cutting compound and wax as normal. No primer or lacquer required. So I gave it a go. I was warned that it takes several coats, and also that it is unforgiving on surface preparation. This is true as slight imperfections remain visible where I feel 'normal' paint would have covered them.

I did one fascia plastic-primed and the other on bare plastic so I will be able to compare the longevity.  The aerosols were £16 each and I ordered 5 though 4 would have just done it.

So no promises, but it's a new avenue to trial and they certainly know what they are on about there.

It cost me a lot of time in prep but only basic materials so say £90 total? 

( I was quoted £500 to do the flexible additive proper spray job which was beyond budget).

(20 Mar 2021, 22:49)TristanC Wrote: Great work Rich,

She’s looking brilliant mate!!

Tris

Thanks buddy! Not far at all from a roll out now I don't think.

I do have a question for the collective knowledge here - does anyone have any suggestions for removing rust stains? This is on the lower air scoop and has picked it up from the previously rusty grille/ rock screen. It's had a good stiff scrubbing brush and domestic cleaners but it hasn't budged:

Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
try vinegar ......Hydrochloric acid will definitely do it ......but it too powerful to muck about with......anything mildly acidic should help.

Remember to rinse things down with plenty of water when you are done.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
You could try WD40 and a stiff brush.
Derfel aka Derv

Oct 1981 RHD DeLorean VIN 4890
1962 Beetle
2013 Transporter T5 Camper
Major landmark moment again today:

She's outside for the first time in nearly about 2 and a half years!

Bonnet and some other fettling still to go. A few electrical things have yet to reawaken.

Wiring under the boot floor is now largely complete, however the fuel sender appears not to have survived hibernation. Will investigate later on all being well.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Great progress well done
Ian Beattie, Cumbria
Vin#2703 Aug 81 manual with black interior, grooved hood and gas flap
DOC 875
Great progress indeed Richard....and all in a 'modest' sized garage!

It makes me ashamed of my own slow progress over the last few months.

My family problems had taken a lot of my enthusiasm away.      But I'm back now.......well firing on 5 cylinders anyway!

I have for the last few weeks been completely re-modeling my garage...(all on my own!) .....fitted a set of stairs to access my storage area, so that I don't have to keep going up and down that 'hateful' ladder.....and created a lot more floor space.

Moved my workbench's to where I can actually use them, rather than boxed in by cars.  Loads of stuff has moved upstairs to give a less cluttered look.  A quick coat of paint this morning.....and i'll be sorted......

Yes, I feel as if I'm back now....this hateful virus is also slowly receding and we are all starting to get our lives back.

Keep up the good work Richard and i'll try and copy your excellent example.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Thanks all for your thoughts and encouragement!

This was the other day. First wash for 6 years. Now running and moving. Happy days!!

Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
It looks the business Richard....and the reg. number also looks great....well done indeed!     Big Grin
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Down to details now: Big Grin

Attached Files Image(s)

Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Looks great, the wheels set it off really well.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Thanks Chrisses!

I've had the no. plate for a while but the car has hardly been anywhere wearing it. It was previously on a Micra before I bought it. I have had new physical plates made up though as the typeface was too chunky on my old ones for some reason. This is proper pre-2001 font.

I got my wheels done at a place in Lichfield, guy named Russ but I can't remember what the business name was. But he's done my Rover ones before and they came up a treat. I've had to buy one new centre cap but the others were ok.

Unfortunately Russ was having to move as HS2 is heading through his workshop!
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Seats today.

Long term plan is for a full refurbishment, so this is a holding job for this year.  Love the small of these various leather potions.

In the meantime the interior has all dried out and the carpets look the best they ever have. Worth a few mins removing seats to get it at it properly.

Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Keep bunging on the leather food Richard.....they are only original once......they look fine ....very similar to mine. Big Grin
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian