Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIN#6126 Chassis restoration
We are looking at a different solution for Flopsy, rather then having an AC compressor in the engine bay
and pipes everywhere, we are looking at an electric AC system with everything mounted in the front of the car.

My AC system doesn't work anyway, so it would of needed replacing, plus this new system will use the modern
gas. Total cost of a new replacement electric system is in the region of £4-500, but we've seen Tesla electric
AC motors for sale for c£140.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
(28 Nov 2020, 17:58)Rich Hanlon Wrote: Boring stuff here now unfortunately. Cleaning up heater pipes etc. This went through the anodising so have rubbed them back and used etch primer and topcoat as suggested for aluminium.  Result blends in to the chassis quite nicely. Should have done blue and red for cold and hot!!  Below shows before and after.

Word to the wise: the upper clips have to be attached to the pipe before they are fitted to the chassis as there isn't the height above the clips to slot the pipe in once it has already been installed. The body mount lugs are in the way.

Also note the replacement pipe clips are VERY tight and look like they were designed for something a couple of mm smaller diameter.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Looking good. Freaky, I am finding the opposite and my clips in your pic just fall out of the holes they were designed for. (bottom left black clip in the below pic)

attachment.php (1024×768) (deloreans.co.uk)

What do you have in the little hole to left of your captive main tub nut. I have seen these 2 little fixed nuts one above the other but haven't drilled them out yet and cant see what they are going to be used for.
Sorry, what I meant was, the clips are very tight around the heater pipes.

I am also finding them loose in the holes.

I have epoxied them all into position, all around the stem and on the back of the disc thing.

The bit in the nut you refer to is where the auto trans selector cable is fastened to the inside of the main spar. It's bolted in from inside the spar so that's the end of the bolt you can see.

(30 Nov 2020, 23:51)Guinney1971 Wrote: We are looking at a different solution for Flopsy, rather then having an AC compressor in the engine bay
and pipes everywhere, we are looking at an electric AC system with everything mounted in the front of the car.

My AC system doesn't work anyway, so it would of needed replacing, plus this new system will use the modern
gas. Total cost of a new replacement electric system is in the region of £4-500, but we've seen Tesla electric
AC motors for sale for c£140.
Funny I just was on AC last night. Dug it all out of a box and whilst I hadn't cleaned it up, I found i had at least labelled everything. (Go me!) So it is complete but as yet untested. I can get onto that later. I replaced all my hoses a few years ago and I think they are still ok.

I got about half way through reconnection last night.

I have the hoses that can be changed without separating the frame. I got a new expansion bottle from Special T auto at the same time too which also needs a clean up but hasn't really been used much in anger.

Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
I made a this:            

Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
looking lovely Richard.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Amazeballs! Very nice indeed.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Lovely job mate!
DOC #230

VIN 11477 Jan '82
2010 Range Rover V8
2013 Mini Cooper S Works

Tristan J Carroll
Swansea, South Wales
Thanks all! Rolled it out again for some more photos today, hope to be able to crop and remove the background... ( I have a photographer buddy to help!!)[Image: 2279ab9a61f1d515b5063ceda92a9300.jpg][Image: 297780b1d7bdebd6217fbc9c9f8ae084.jpg][Image: 2abb120020117fdb77d864d910ec367d.jpg]

Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Love it Rich, don't rush it Smile

Its the best stage to be at......
I know, after all this work I'll put the body back on and it'll look exactly the same as it always has!! Hence getting some good shots now [emoji846]

Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Looking good mate, if you could just leave it like that till November.......... Big Grin Big Grin

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Looks amazing Rich, its a shame lockdown has prevented us from coming over to get a closer look.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
That looks the business Richard, excellent work
Vin #4087
Thanks all!

I've sent my proper camera photos off to my photographer pal to crop the backgrounds out, to make some nice pics.

I've shifted my heap of breeze blocks back in and found out the bottle jacks to start lowering the body back on. I marked the wheel positions on the floor before I started and they're still just visible. Got the wheels lined back in with them last night.

Daunting task ahead! Just have to grit my teeth and get back on with it.

(06 Jan 2021, 15:54)Guinney1971 Wrote: Looks amazing Rich, its a shame lockdown has prevented us from coming over to get a closer look.
Yes it really is. Let me know if there are any specific areas you need any pics of. [emoji846]

Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Down she comes....

Progress is painstakingly slow because I have 'help'... ;-)    

Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126