Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIN#6126 Chassis restoration
Thanks Eric. I'm enjoying documenting it here as for my future reference too!!

Yes, risk of distortion was my concern too, and almost put me off. But I knew I wanted a complete immersion process to get inside all the box sections., Including those rear traingular sections which had got so bad that they prompted the job in the first place...

I was told at the time that distortion is a lot to do with the process operation - basically if it is dunked any old how, then it is a risk. The place I had mine done has done several DeLorean frames in the past (4or5) and were happy and willing to take it on.
They also have a powder coating line so it could go straight from one to the other. The powder coating is purely to restore the original colour. I picked RAL 7037, other people have used other very similar colours in the past but obviously that's entirely optional.

Mine was done at BMT in Gt Yarmouth at the recommendation of Alex Denny who did the chassis repairs . The hot dip and powdercoat came to about £800.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

This is the one photo I have of the process:    

Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
When yours is finished...you can do mine if you like Richard!    Big Grin
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
+1 Smile

I will stand 2 metres away and make tea...
Ah, thank you! I'd be as happy as the proverbial pig in muck!!

New toys have arrived from Amsteer this AM...

Also got my old front wheel bearings out which had disassembled themselves when i took the hubs out.

A pal has turned me a disc to 59.5mm to press the new one in with [emoji16]        

Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Awesome to see this progress Rich, especially to think I was sitting on that chassis at the NEC with you not so long ago!
Keep us updated with the rebuild, it gets me motivated to get back to a few things on my car.
-Steve
Vin: 4468
DOC No: 758
www.theportlandarms.co.uk
Thanks Steve buddy [emoji106].

Yes, that was the last day before it went to be stripped to bare metal. It was surprisingly comfortable [emoji23].

They were LONG days!! [emoji38]            

Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Quote:It was surprisingly comfortable [Image: emoji23.png].
Ahh yes, the usual pub landlord position I see there.......... Are you going to reply to my text Mr Landlord? Big Grin
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Pub landlords are currently struggling, along with almost every one else in the hospitality industry... Sad.... let's hope things will ease up soon.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Quote:Pub landlords are currently struggling, along with almost every one else in the hospitality industry... [Image: sad.png].... let's hope things will ease up soon.
They certainly are, as are many other industries. These are certainly strange times we are living in at the moment. Lets hope for a safe and swift return to normal and get some money back into every sector.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
A little more progress this evening. Other side of suspension assembled. Gradually becoming car-shaped! A nice batch of yellow zinc plating stuff arrived back the other day too. Beautiful.

Happy VE 75 day too folks!        

Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
wow Rich, thats looking amazing, it'll be great to see 6126 back on the road sometime.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Limited progress these last couple of weeks as I'm feeling a bit demotivated by the Covid situation altogether.

However I have refurbished the front upper and lower arms and given the uppers their final coat this morning. Dry in no time.

I want to get it sitting back on all four wheels by the end of this week so I can get the engine and box back in to make myself some more working space.

Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Loving it.... Hopefully be somewhere close to this in 6 months....

How much can you zinc coat ? is it expensive ? any downside ?

How have you cleaned the items up ? Spit and polish ? Even the engine mount shines Smile
Anything really, I've tried to limit it to things which were originally yellow zinc plated. I just degreased things and handed them over, and got them back like that! It wasn't too expensive, but it's more for the sake of originality than being a brilliant corrosion protection. A few things got missed so for example the engine mounts and fuel filter bracket are just spray painted in gold.

Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
The only downside is a very slight hydrogen embrittlement which is no issue at all on soft metal brackets etc, if it was a massive, hard steel structural component right on the limit it could be a slight issue, but it's not!

Some people lacquer yellow zinc to preserve it for longer. You can also get specially formulated paint by Eastwood's which looks just like yellow zinc but has better corrosion resistance. The gold I used was just a near match from the local car spares place.

Chris Parnham is your local plating expert though [emoji16]!

Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126