Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIN#6126 Chassis restoration
Hi folks, sorry, ages since I've been on, and I don't have much to update I'm afraid. Thanks all for your contributions!

Stuart - I've measured up the bare chassis, and it's about 1.22m across the rear suspension towers and 3.75m long to the tips of the front frame extension. So it will fit comfortably within 4m.

Also they'll probably want to put the trailing arms on the same run, and your belly plate, if you're having that done ( I didn't as I'm running a stainless one from Ed).

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
(Friday, June 26th, 2020, 09:29 am)Chris P Wrote:
With the Rivnuts....could you try and re-fix the existing ones in position by a drop of epoxy....or my favourite "black crap" as I call it .....the stuff that takes 24 hours to go off...like mastic but sticks anything to anything...you'd probably want a dummy screw in there, whist its going off and keep checking it didn't stick in the threads.
The rivnuts were a sod. The ones in particular were the four along the front which hold the four angled steel brackets which retain the lower part of the front fascia. The old bolts were totally rusted into the rivnuts. I the end I cut half the heads off with the Dremel, just enough to get the brackets off. But despite pressure in all directions and glueing them the resistance of the bolt rusted inside meant in the end I just had to pull them all out. It's ok, I have installed new ones of the correct size with a proper rivnut setter, and glued them before putting any bolts in. I will obviously be putting stainless bolts back too. I had to repeat the exercise for the steel bracket rivnut spots which hold the ballast resistor bracket in the engine bay too.

Anyway, all sorted, and I have collected the blasted and powdercoated brackets back ready to refit. Happy days.

I have also had some minor distraction in that I have won s track day, most unexpectedly. There is no chance I will get the DeLorean ready in time, so I have extracted this from hibernation. It's done 20 miles in the last 7 years but I'm giving it a good going over. I'd forgotten how much I like this car.

Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Won?? looks really nice.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
(Won the day out, not the car, I've had the car for years!!)

Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Well done Richard.....I keep looking at other cars.....in the last week alone I am watching :- Triumph TR7/B, Ford Probe, Rover Streetwise, MX5, Peugeot 205 diesel, MG RV8....etc. Priced between £400 and 21K. My Mrs would go mad and I would be tight packed again......but we can all dream....
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
I've always fancied the idea of a Streetwise as a runabout. The optional cages over the lights are impossible to find!

Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Quote:I've always fancied the idea of a Streetwise as a runabout
Had one, sold it to get one of the last ZS's (not the fake new ones  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin)) Only kidding Chris!
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
So, after a long spell in the doldrums I am back on with it. Front brakes etc sorted over the last few nights, radiator on order, and a bit more of the pipework done.

Slowly slowly...

Radiator next week.            

Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Looking good Rich, wowzers you really have replaced a lot of kit Smile, are they new front discs as well.
Thanks Eric.

It's very hard not to throw everything at it " whilst I'm at it" !!

Yes, they're new on, but I've had them stashed away for a couple of years, so not sure if it counts!! ( In fact probably nearer 5!)

New calipers, pads and fitting kits too. Painted them just because. The gold looked closer to the yellow zinc colour on screen but I'm still quite happy with them.

Got my rad back yesterday evening too. Just awaiting some new bushes then I can put that back on, and finish off the plumbing. Picked up new hose to cut to length ages ago, and bought the narrow guage stuff from the rad bleed to the main coolant pipe today.

Today had been a couple of hours on the exhaust and bracketry.

How's yours coming along matey?    

Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Wow the exhaust looks fab, I am a good year behind you. The frame just landed and I re-drilled/cleared my first bolt hole for the fuel tank cover on Wed Smile Just working out a way to view the gazillion pics I have taken.

I realise the bigger challenge is not so much putting it back together but more the order you put it back together in Smile I reckon all the gear linkage and accumulator has to be first but I cant help but keep bolting easy stuff on to make it look more complete Wink
Yes, I think that's where I started too. I had a few really dull evenings of JUST retapping holes...!

Rad and AC condenser back on now.    

It's had new front wheel brgs too. I can't remember if I wrote about that. But the old ones disassembled themselves upon removal. Balls everywhere.

Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
(24 Oct 2020, 02:15)er1c Wrote: Wow the exhaust looks fab, I am a good year behind you. The frame just landed and I re-drilled/cleared my first bolt hole for the fuel tank cover on Wed Smile Just working out a way to view the gazillion pics I have taken.

I realise the bigger challenge is not so much putting it back together but more the order you put it back together in Smile I reckon all the gear linkage and accumulator has to be first but I cant help but keep bolting easy stuff on to make it look more complete Wink
I'm pretty sure you'll soon catch me up fella, i had a pretty long spell 'off' when a few trivial problems seemed insurmountable and it was all getting a bit much. In fact there was a giant cobweb across the garage door.

What sort of turnaround time is Alex working to on the chassis repairs now?

Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
A little more...

I've gone from Tyred to Exhausted.    

Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Don't forget to use the black felt tip pen to put the chassis number on the back.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
6142 in this case.

Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126