Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIN#6126 Chassis restoration
Superb info thanks for that Chris and Rich. Loving the pic Chris I didn't clock it was you on the first pass.
Today's progress [emoji16]                

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Exiting, nearly time to re-join them!
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Many congrats Richard...looking great.... Smile
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Loving it as always Rich, Do you think you will have a bucket of left overs ?
Almost certainly!! There will definitely be the old rusty steel fasteners where I have replaced then with new stainless ones, and probably a fair bit more besides!

I'm finding the exploded diagrams on DeLorean.com really useful in getting things back together where I have to confirm an assembly that's not immediately obvious.

Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
(07 Jun 2020, 09:24)Rich Hanlon Wrote: Almost certainly!! There will definitely be the old rusty steel fasteners where I have replaced then with new stainless ones, and probably a fair bit more besides!

I'm finding the exploded diagrams on DeLorean.com really useful in getting things back together where I have to confirm an assembly that's not immediately obvious.

Loving that as well, I was crazy with the camera but when you have something with a bolt and a nut its obvious but some of the washer positions seem odd to say the least.
Looking good Richard, well done. Its been interesting watching progress.

Ian
Ian Beattie, Cumbria
Vin#2703 Aug 81 manual with black interior, grooved hood and gas flap
DOC 875
Thank you! Nothing major today. Just a bit of cleaning and polishing under the body, plus cursing at spinning Rivnuts. No progress on those.[emoji34]                

[attachment=861]

Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Fantastic to watch your progress Richard, looking to do mine very soon.

What is the length of a bare frame, my local powdercoaters have a 4 meter oven.

I'm not near the car at the moment, could you measure and confirm the length for me please?

Stuart
DOC 116
VIN 6237
I think it will fit in a 4m oven I measured for the trailer and It was definitely 3?? cm, I cant remember exactly but it will be fine.

Top work Rich, I have those RIVNUTS to do as well, and its one of my top jobs for satisfaction as I just hate the fact getting the access panels off is such a pain every time.
With the Rivnuts....could you try and re-fix the existing ones in position by a drop of epoxy....or my favourite "black crap" as I call it .....the stuff that takes 24 hours to go off...like mastic but sticks anything to anything...you'd probably want a dummy screw in there, whist its going off and keep checking it didn't stick in the threads.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
(26 Jun 2020, 09:29)Chris P Wrote: With the Rivnuts....could you try and re-fix the existing ones in position by a drop of epoxy....or my favourite "black crap" as I call it .....the stuff that takes 24 hours to go off...like mastic but sticks anything to anything...you'd probably want a dummy screw in there, whist its going off and keep checking it didn't stick in the threads.

What a good idea, I hadn't considered that, even some fibreglass resin or matting over each one as it shouldn't be touching the threads if its bonding the outside to the underneath...… A new rivnut probably wouldn't last long either. I may well give that a go as well.
I've repaired some rivnut holes on my tub using araldite in the past with success. Its stronger than fibreglass resin on its own, and saves you trying to use more fibreglass matting, so makes for a neater job.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
There you go..I invented the technique and Rissy went back in time and tried it out...you could only get such info on a DeLorean forum.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian