Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rubber sealant instead of gasket
Was trying to get to my water pump to replace the thermostat, and since my car is a turbo a have to remove the end but from the air inlet to get to the water pump. Some bright spark has used rubber sealant instead of gaskets!! Its really really stuck on, any ideas?
SCEDT26T9BD005902
just grab hold of it and give it one hell of a pull, and just for the record dont use gaskets on them anyway , they leak use silicon again. Also if is a bae kit watch that it doesnt pull away from the venturi only one bolt holds it on TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Tourettes Tony Wrote:just grab hold of it and give it one hell of a pull

Hold it...should this not be under the 'Delorean dreams' topic. I know you and J are sharing a room but we don't all need to know what you both get upto...I assume you have a double as usual :lol:
Chris Spratt

Ex owner of Vin#16327 Grey 5 Speed was FLE 371Y
1998 Lotus Esprit GT3
1999 Lotus Elise
DOC 4
trust you :lol: :lol: :lol: tt
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
given it several "one hell of a pulls" its been stuck for presumably a good 20 years, and isnt budging. My mechanic says tap it with a hammer, one of the bar flies at my work says use acetone.
SCEDT26T9BD005902
Are you talking of a rubber hose over a metal one ? if so you could try carefully pushing a flat bladed screwdriver between the two all around to break the seal
Use a rubber mallet not a metal one.
Double check you have removed all of the bolts though !

NickT.
metal, its the air intake dealio thing (thats the technical term i think). i think the tapping is working, its just really slow and boring. And all for a measly thermostat!
SCEDT26T9BD005902
There are 2 internal tubes in side where it joins the 2 parts together, i have a feeling this is where it may be stuck, you could try warming uit up with a heat gun possibly TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Starting to think maybe i should just leave it. Was just replacing the thermostat because its been in storage for a while. Any chance i could get away with leaving the old one in or is that a bad idea?
SCEDT26T9BD005902
you should change it really, but its up to you, i just cant understand why you cant get the inlet off send me a pm and i will give you my e-mail, i wouldnt mind a few pics to compare it to my set up cheers TT tony
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
DONE IT!! Big Grin got the new thermostat in and decided while i was there id replace thermotime switch as i didnt want to mess about with it again, ive also taken out the air control thingy (3 bolts on it). one of the bolts has snapped off, im going to drill it out, but does anyone know where i can get a new one?
SCEDT26T9BD005902