Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cylinder head tools
Hi chaps/chapesses

I've posted on FB about taking off my cylinder head  and received many replies / recommendations about taking the engine out to do the job.

So no need to discuss that here .

Does anybody have  / and would be willing to lend me the cylinder head tools namely the Sprocket tool J28858 

And the liner tool J28852.

Can anybody help out here - I'll pay all postage to get them to/from me ?

Thanks.
Vin 11789 (probably #50 of the Middle East batch of 50)
Don't have the liner tool, but you can easily make one with some bolts and some bar. I do have a Volvo sprocket tool Pt No: 9995213 (same thing) your welcome to borrow. So long as it returns!

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
(26 Feb 2019, 10:40)Chris Williams Wrote: Don't have the liner tool, but you can easily make one with some bolts and some bar. I do have a Volvo sprocket tool Pt No: 9995213 (same thing) your welcome to borrow. So long as it returns!

Chris

Brilliant ...... yes please Chris. 
I will return it of course and will look into making a replica of it too.

I'll pm you my address.

Thanks 

Kevin
No prob, it'll be in the post. Out of interest (I may have missed it on Facebook) how have you/what makes you think you have a head issue? Did you get all the timing issues sorted?
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
(27 Feb 2019, 22:02)Chris Williams Wrote: No prob, it'll be in the post. Out of interest (I may have missed it on Facebook) how have you/what makes you think you have a head issue? Did you get all the timing issues sorted?
Chris

One of the spark plugs (new ones too) decided to shed some of it's ceramic jacket into #3.
I put an endoscope down there and there is also evidence of ceramic shards.
I tried various countermeasures such as vacuum, grease on the end of a stick - no joy!!!

There was also some water in #1. It was fresh water and the bore looked great - you could see the honing marks - there was no rust or corrosion in there.

To be honest that could have been water in the spark plug cavity and when it was removed the water went into #1.

At the end of the day - with these two issues , you have to ask yourself if you would take the head off, and I'm sure most people would.

Apart from the head - all the other nuts n bolts and fittings have already been removed - the back of the car is still off and it makes a lot of sense to do the head. Heck, somebody even gave me a gasket set for the side I'm working on.

Great gesture - a big thanks for that !!!

Oh and a very good friend of mine skims heads - so he will check it out for me.

I'll feel a lot more confident about it when it's done - and will learn how to do a DeLorean head - let's just hope those liners stay in place eh?

Finally, I'll remove the new water pump and take out the core plug underneath it in the vod. I can do that trick of putting a long bolt down that void and check that "TDC is actually TDC "on the engine plate that use when you fire a timing light - who knows - somebody may have moved that? With everything removed I can double check the distributor cap setting as it was out - but I believe that it's spot on now.
Quote:One of the spark plugs (new ones too) decided to shed some of it's ceramic jacket into #3.
I put an endoscope down there and there is also evidence of ceramic shards.
I tried various countermeasures such as vacuum, grease on the end of a stick - no joy!!!
Ahh Ok, I must have missed that bit. Good luck and keep us posted.
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Here's the latest update - and it's not good.

After removing the head it became clear that engine had had some work done on it by a previous owner.
The cylinder bores looked amazing - honing marks were still in existence.
there was very little crud inside the block.

i took the head to my engineering buddy who rebores blocks, regrinds cams and skims heads.

The Delorean manual says that the cylinder head height should be between 4.373" - 4.379"

... mine is 4.353 which means it was skimmed 20 thou. Also there was a deflection (warp) between 0.002 and 0.004"
I would bet that the other head is in the same state.

So I think the best option is to get some good second hand ones as new ones are rare - still available but out of my range .. let's see if I can post photos and if anybody can help me out on this one I'd be eternally grateful.

This car deserves to be saved as it was one of a unique batch of 50. (nope - inserting pictures is a PITA (& I used to train IT lol)

[attachment=536]
Spud,

Was it just the broken plug end that got you looking in there in the first place?  Or did you suspect something else was wrong?  

What I am thinking is that perhaps some heads could just have a bit of twist in them...that could well be overcome by tightening them down properly (in the right order) and with a good quality new head gasket .........it may work fine...perhaps?  

If it were me,  I'd give it a try ...what have you got to loose...a couple of days labour and a new head gasket?
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
(13 Mar 2019, 09:32)Chris P Wrote: Spud,

Was it just the broken plug end that got you looking in there in the first place?  Or did you suspect something else was wrong?  

What I am thinking is that perhaps some heads could just have a bit of twist in them...that could well be overcome by tightening them down properly (in the right order) and with a good quality new head gasket .........it may work fine...perhaps?  

If it were me,  I'd give it a try ...what have you got to loose...a couple of days labour and a new head gasket?

Hi Chris.
The main reason was that two lumps of spark plug ceramic had entered number 3 - there were also small shards in there. I could see the bits with an endoscope. Tried all ways to remove them - and I mean all ways!!

Then I put the 'scope down #1 and there was a small puddle of water (defo water - I tested it).

Now when I got this ex-Dubai car - the otterstat was bypassed and the fans were on permanently with the connections being bridged.
Also this car had hardly been used - neither in Dubai nor in the UK (not even UK registered) 

You have to ask yourself "Why"?

So if I was a betting man, I would bet that this car had an overheating issue - and the heads have previously been skimmed by 20 thou.

..... also, I could not get it to start when I got it as the timing was so far out and backfired a lot - maybe that was the cause of 2 of my new Bosch Sparkplugs cracking?

So I decided to take the heads off - hey it was pretty painless to do as I have all new exhaust, water pump etc - so ancilliary removal was painless.

Stop Press.
Donald John Steger in the USA who has extensive cylinder head knowledge assures me that I can easily have 4 thou shaved off the head :-) 

P.S. I still need a good ungrooved flat bonnet ;-)