Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel pump replacement kit
Hi All, 

I have just replaced the fuel pump and associated gubbins with a kit. I am at a loss now its gone back together as to a hose clip "SP10830" which is on the return feed from the pump.

https://www.deloreango.com/uk/stainless-...-clip.html

On the original it looks like its just on the hose. However the description

"W1 steel spring clip to seal the metal pipe on the inside of the fuel pump boot. Without this you will have fuel on top of the fuel pump when the tank is full."

Any pointers....
Yeah,

If you look inside the fuel pump boot without the top in place (i.e. you can see the pump and its electrical and piped connections), you'll see the "return to tank" fuel line feeds through the boot and into the tank via a molded lipped hole. All Arran is saying here is, have one of these (I have personally used a cable tie, but you could also use a small jubilee clip) to grip the molded rubber boot lip to the return line to prevent fuel seeping up and through into the top of the pump area where the pumps electrical connections are - although to be fair, in the early days, my pump has been immersed several times without any immediate harm, but i'm sure it's not good for the pump for one, and i suspect it gave me issues with my electrical connections due to "fuel contamination" before i corrected this issue (I had instances of conductivity break down, causing my pump to stop working and engine cutting out until i dried everything out and remade the connections again).
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
(12 Feb 2019, 16:15)Rissy Wrote: Yeah,

If you look inside the fuel pump boot without the top in place (i.e. you can see the pump and its electrical and piped connections), you'll see the "return to tank" fuel line feeds through the boot and into the tank via a molded lipped hole.  All Arran is saying here is, have one of these (I have personally used a cable tie, but you could also use a small jubilee clip) to grip the molded rubber boot lip to the return line to prevent fuel seeping up and through into the top of the pump area where the pumps electrical connections are - although to be fair, in the early days, my pump has been immersed several times without any immediate harm, but i'm sure it's not good for the pump for one, and i suspect it gave me issues with my electrical connections due to "fuel contamination" before i corrected this issue (I had instances of conductivity break down, causing my pump to stop working and engine cutting out until i dried everything out and remade the connections again).

Thanks, 

Gotcha, what fully threw me on this one was that the old clip was on totally the wrong place further down the line doing not a lot Smile
Welcome to the world of DeLorean ownership BTW!
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Thanks Smile

All sorted... I have re-done all the fuel pump/lines etc with the above kit. An oddity I now have is no matter how tight I do the banjo on the cover its still possible to lift the lot out (including pump).
If I try and tighten more the banjo just slips down has anyone had similar ?
When you say "Banjo", do you really mean "jubilee"?

If it's a jubilee you mean (a huge one that wraps around the upper fuel pump boot), then it sounds as yours has torn a tooth and should be replaced.

Tip: You can use two smaller ones in tandem if you don't have another huge circumference one instead, since such big ones are normally harder to find in a rush or through easy to access vendors.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
(18 Feb 2019, 11:15)Rissy Wrote: When you say "Banjo", do you really mean "jubilee"?

If it's a jubilee you mean (a huge one that wraps around the upper fuel pump boot), then it sounds as yours has torn a tooth and should be replaced.

Tip:  You can use two smaller ones in tandem if you don't have another huge circumference one instead, since such big ones are normally harder to find in a rush or through easy to access vendors.

Yeahh sorry Jubilee... Its a brand spanker....
Despite it being new, if you're tightening it up, and it clicks at any point, and goes more loose again, repeatedly as you try to tighten it, then it's torn a tooth. Over torquing jubilee clips is a favourite to breaking them. Replace it with another new one. Some designs are better than others. For instance, i find i get better results from clips that have angled toothed recesses for the grub to bite into rather than complete punched slits or straight recesses.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
(18 Feb 2019, 14:40)Rissy Wrote: Despite it being new, if you're tightening it up, and it clicks at any point, and goes more loose again, repeatedly as you try to tighten it, then it's torn a tooth.  Over torquing jubilee clips is a favourite to breaking them.  Replace it with another new one.  Some designs are better than others.  For instance, i find i get better results from clips that have angled toothed recesses for the grub to bite into rather than complete punched slits or straight recesses.

Cheers, but it is tightening, its just squeezing over the cover if that makes sense. I will have a clean with some white spirit and see if that helps take away the lube I used to get the cover over the pipes.
I know it does not help, but I always have a nightmare getting the OE boots to seal.
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Thanks Chris, it does help, happy to be patient I cleaned it up and let it dry so I will have a go today. Need something to do in between spraying Penetrating oil onto the O2 sensor Smile
All fixed, the new ones are really tight and the inner rubber wasn't fully down so pushing and opening it up it dropped another 2 inches to where it should have been.
http://www.johnspangler.com/DMC/fuelfilter10.jpg

Does anyone know what size the banjo fitting is ? as I want to check its tight and do it by feel only as fuel peed out after I changed it. I have a horrid feeling I didn't tighten it as I was that focused on aligning the bottom.
If in doubt...take it to bits again and fit new copper washers while you are at it.....you cant take chances with petrol.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
(19 Feb 2019, 16:31)Chris P Wrote: If in doubt...take it to bits again and fit new copper washers while you are at it.....you cant take chances with petrol.

If its tight its something else so I will do that.... If I haven't tightened it, it will be fine Smile