Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIN 5219
Ive not checked under the fuse box as it looks ok really, but a through inspection cant hurt.

Theres a pink wire and an orange/black wire that have connectors but arent plugged in anywhere but look like they should go somewhere.

I was also thinking about replacing all the relays at some point anyway considering they are approaching 40yrs old
- DeLoryan
VIN 5219
Oct 81, Grey interior, 
manual, grooved hood
DOC 876
My personal approach is 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. Blush

But I agree in what's already been said about removing aftermarket wiring etc and getting it back to stock.

Have you looked at and cleaned up all the plugs and sockets in the engine bay? Always a worthwhile job.  A Dremill, at low speed, is an invaluable tool for that.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Do you mean where the coil is under the box cover, top right of the engine bay? If so, no i havent touched that area besides putting in a new coil.

I think this weekend will see me cleaning the car and tracing some wires for removal
- DeLoryan
VIN 5219
Oct 81, Grey interior, 
manual, grooved hood
DOC 876
Yes, the ones near the coil. Dirty connections can be the cause of heaps of intermittent problems...always worth cleaning them up and carefully putting them back together.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Take each individual fuse out and clean the fuse contacts. Either that or just replace all the fuses with new ones. Poor contacts on fuses cause voltage drops across the contacts which results in overheating and ultimately melted fuse holders.
Removing the fuse box cover treats the symptom, not the fault, though it doesn't hurt. Wink

Quote: A Dremill, at low speed, is an invaluable tool for that.

Usually when you by one of those (or equivalent) they come with a small ball grinder, about 3mm diameter.
It's a perfect fit for the sockets on those connectors and cleans out the insides perfectly!

Have you got a wiring diagram for the car yet? That will tell you where your mystery wires go to.
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
I only have a colour diagram on my phone, the physical one i have is black and white. I need to do some studying
- DeLoryan
VIN 5219
Oct 81, Grey interior, 
manual, grooved hood
DOC 876
Cheers for not telling me to F off and showing us your car.
DOC was#520 Now#910, VIN# One Day
DeLorean Fund:On Hold (All Money On Kids!
I Need A FIVE Seater.
(19 May 2019, 16:16)Robert Monk Wrote: Cheers for not telling me to F off and showing us your car.

Haha. No worries. I was only playing days gone any way. Im guessing youre a local guy? 

Anyway, its always nice to chat to someone who appreciates the car and doesnt come out with the usual bttf jokes like many do. Maybe one day when its working, ill take you out for a spin but i want to see you wearing that decorative vegetable  Big Grin
- DeLoryan
VIN 5219
Oct 81, Grey interior, 
manual, grooved hood
DOC 876
(19 May 2019, 16:16)DMC1983 Wrote: Haha. No worries. I was only playing days gone any way. Im guessing youre a local guy? 

Anyway, its always nice to chat to someone who appreciates the car and doesnt come out with the usual bttf jokes like many do. Maybe one day when its working, ill take you out for a spin but i want to see you wearing that decorative vegetable  Big Grin

Yes sir, over Lampits hill. 

I know how annoying the bttf stuff can get after the 5000 time earring it, lol. 
You got your self a deal.  Big Grin
DOC was#520 Now#910, VIN# One Day
DeLorean Fund:On Hold (All Money On Kids!
I Need A FIVE Seater.
The car is now running! Success!!

https://youtu.be/OfepzXYYtsI

Got a leak at the crankshaft which may go after ive run the car a little longer but that seal is on the to do list.

Cat gets really hot way too quickly so i need to get a bypass till i decide to upgrade the exhaust system to stainless. Could just be an air leak somewhere so i will be changing the injectors and their seals and at the same time new spark plugs.

Tbh im really chuffed with myself that ive got the car started. A few connectors cleaned and changed all the relays and voila! Now need to get her running smoothly.

Thanks for all the advice given guys. Its been a real help.
- DeLoryan
VIN 5219
Oct 81, Grey interior, 
manual, grooved hood
DOC 876
Congratulations! It's a great feeling when she starts for the first time after lots of hard work.

Cool
DOC 116
VIN 6237
Congrats man! Well deserved Smile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers guys. Im over the moon.

Problem i have now is the temp goes up fairly quickly and the fans dont come on at all. I know the fans work as ive tried the bypass. Oh what fun this car is  Big Grin
- DeLoryan
VIN 5219
Oct 81, Grey interior, 
manual, grooved hood
DOC 876
I now have the car running nicely and no heating issues now. I changed the otterstat and bled the system properly (i clearly didnt do it correctly the first time). Now the fans kick in at the 220 line and shut off at the white line below 220. Happy days. 

Passenger side rear lights now work fine too as ive soldered the bulb connectors as a temporary measure till i change to an LED setup. The board is pretty dirty and i cant clean under the connectors. 

I was a little naughty and took the car for a ride up and down my road. Was so awesome. It drives loverly. Now to turn my attention to the braking system next. Then its time for an MOT and finally registering.
- DeLoryan
VIN 5219
Oct 81, Grey interior, 
manual, grooved hood
DOC 876
Quote:I changed the otterstat and bled the system properly (i clearly didnt do it correctly the first time)

As I tell all new owners - Get yourself a self bleed kit - do it now. Go on, now.
If it's the only mod you ever do to your car, this is it.
Anyone without one of these is just making work for themselves.

Quote:The board is pretty dirty and i cant clean under the connectors.

Drill off the rivets that hold the bulb holder in place and use fine emery paper or a gritty eraser to clean up the board - you know, the blue bit on white/blue pencil eraser that nobody knows what its for.

Glad to hear you're up and running!
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.