Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Craig Radio Display Ribbon Cable - Re-manufactured
This, this what makes the Craig radio display work...

I was sitting in my shed, soldering wires to the LED display, when I slipped with my soldering iron and burnt my hand.

When the pain had subsided I had a vision in my head, a vision of this:

The Craig Radio LED Display Ribbon Cable

It's taken nearly fifteen years and almost my entire family fortune to realise the vision of that.......oh wait.

Here it is folks. It really has taken fifteen years to get this done - time flies  Rolleyes

I wanted one of these for my own Craig radio, but I've had to have a run made to make it even close to viable.

They are almost identical to the originals (right down to the part number!) apart from one key difference, they are slightly longer.

The reason for that is so that the cable can be routed in front of the display hinge pin instead of behind it. That increases the bending radius of the cable so it is less prone to folding and should last much, much longer.

The cable is soldered onto the back of the display, so that means you will need to have good soldering skills, if you overheat the contacts on the cable, they will de-laminate and the cable will be damaged.

There is potential in the not too distant future to offer some form of replacement 'service' for those unable to do this themselves, the exact form that will take I'm not sure right now.

I'm offering up these for sale for anyone who wants to replace the cable on their display so they can once again have a fully illuminated display (assuming all the LEDs work) and not be fearful of using the cassette door.

Price is 30 GBP each including shipping to anywhere in the world.

If you want one, PM me and I'll give you my email address. You might not hear back from me instantly, I don't sit in front of my computer all day  Wink

Attached Files Image(s)

Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Very fancy, not sure how you get something like this made but well done. For your next project if you can work out a way to get ASI radio's converted to a UK frequency then that would be a handy thing to do. ;-)
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
You could perhaps take mine to bits and find out? Shy Euro-Spec you know!

Well done Richard, I don't know how you sort all this fiddly stuff out...anything less that a 8mm spanner and I'm out of my depth. Blush
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Quote:For your next project if you can work out a way to get ASI radio's converted to a UK frequency then that would be a handy thing to do. ;-)

If I can get my hands on one, I may well just be able to do that  Wink
Thanks Rich, for an excellent item works and fits perfectly. [Image: a31a83ab0589269b398ed030eb1693ba.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lotus Elite
Lotus Esprit turbo
Vin 5550
Thanks Rich!
Another Craig Radio has been revived thanks to your excellent work.
I was worried the flex cable would melt almost instantly when soldering it but it was honestly easier than I expected.

Smile 
Great work....always better to repair than replace... well done. Smile

Going back a step..if you want to borrow my radio for a short while, you are very welcome, as I think that area needs to come off anyway.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Hi Rich, would you happen to have any more of these ribbons available by any chance? Be keen to have one if possible! Many thanks, Ivan. 
ivan.mark.rogers@gmail.com
Cheers!
Yep, I've still got a few of these left. PM Sent
Hi Rich
Do you have one more of this excellent product??
Best Regards Jocke from Sweden
Hey Jocke, I've still got some, yes. PM Sent
(18 Jan 2022, 18:00)Rich H Wrote: Hey Jocke, I've still got some, yes. PM Sent

Hi
I did´nt got any Pm
Send me some info at b.jocke@telia.com
Also sent a pm. Many thanks!!
Heart 
Another successful Craig radio display resuscitation, thanks to Rich's remanufactured ribbon cable Cool

For those looking to test on the bench (since I looked it up), I had to hook Orange & Red to 12V and black to Gnd. With just the Red & Black, no response. Just Orange & Black will give you most of the display, but not the ':' on the clock or a few other components.