Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello!
Hi everyone!
I'm currently looking for a DeLorean, which I'm planning a Time Machine conversion (I know it's not to everyone's taste) that won't damage the car. It's taking some planning but I've got a few ideas.

Don't have a car yet but I'm hoping to be in the £25k region (Everything seems to be top whack at the moment though). I'll be searching for an 81 manual with grooved hood and grey - hopefully. Not after a minter, but something that's doesn't need too much work.

Anyway I'm hoping to make some good contacts and help where I can.

LD
Hello and welcome!

Best of luck with the project. Plenty of knowledgable bods here to help you along.

There was perhaps a suitable candidate advertised on here:
http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=5704

Not much detail in that thread, but I did get in contact with the chap at the time. I think it was around the £24,000 mark...
It’s based in Ireland, I have his email address somewhere if you wanted?
Not sure if it’s still available of course...

Tris
DOC #230

VIN 11477 Jan '82
2010 Range Rover V8
2013 Mini Cooper S Works

Tristan J Carroll
Swansea, South Wales
Welcome!
Quote:Don't have a car yet but I'm hoping to be in the £25k region (Everything seems to be top whack at the moment though). I'll be searching for an 81 manual with grooved hood and grey - hopefully. Not after a minter, but something that's doesn't need too much work.
This is one of the best priced cars around at the moment: http://deloreans.co.uk/for-sale/ nearly your exact spec and a nice car. I know the seller is open to (sensible) offers.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
welcome to the forum, and good luck with the project when you get a car.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Welcome - buying a Delorean is like buying a house. You have a list of requirements but ultimately may have to make some sacrifices?

I don't know where you are located but if in the UK a project car doesn't seem to come along that often.

I "found" mine on the Eurotec forum ... so keep your eyes peeled .
Vin 11789 (probably #50 of the Middle East batch of 50)
(14 Nov 2018, 23:40)TristanC Wrote: Hello and welcome!

Best of luck with the project. Plenty of knowledgable bods here to help you along.

There was perhaps a suitable candidate advertised on here:
http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=5704

Not much detail in that thread, but I did get in contact with the chap at the time. I think it was around the £24,000 mark...
It’s based in Ireland, I have his email address somewhere if you wanted?
Not sure if it’s still available of course...

Tris

Hi Tris,
Thanks for the welcome and the heads up. The car sounds perfect I'll probably make some enquiries once I'm 100% ready for it. The guy who you got yours from had another listed on eBay, slightly off spec but looked a good car.
Just need to get xmas out of the way then get the garage tidied out (I'm 80% there!)

(15 Nov 2018, 21:58)Chris Williams Wrote: Welcome!
Quote:Don't have a car yet but I'm hoping to be in the £25k region (Everything seems to be top whack at the moment though). I'll be searching for an 81 manual with grooved hood and grey - hopefully. Not after a minter, but something that's doesn't need too much work.
This is one of the best priced cars around at the moment: http://deloreans.co.uk/for-sale/ nearly your exact spec and a nice car. I know the seller is open to (sensible) offers.
Chris

Thanks, I'd seen that car a few times over the months. I'll have a see if it's available when I'm ready as It's more than I want to budget at the moment.
However I can always make an offer and he can always say no  Big Grin

(16 Nov 2018, 14:35)Guinney1971 Wrote: welcome to the forum, and good luck with the project when you get a car.
Thanks! I recon I'll need it!
(22 Nov 2018, 08:33)SpudMurphy Wrote: Welcome - buying a Delorean is like buying a house. You have a list of requirements but ultimately may have to make some sacrifices?

I don't know where you are located but if in the UK a project car doesn't seem to come along that often.

I "found" mine on the Eurotec forum ... so keep your eyes peeled .

I'm in the UK, and a member on Eurotec too. I'm willing to give on a few things, but the good thing is there's not many different spec levels! There were some cars on eBay a few months ago that would have done the job, but I think it's the wrong time of year. Plus I'm not in a rush, so I'll hold out until something comes along.

Thanks for the replies, Sorry for the late reply had a hectic week and had to buy the missus a new car as a sweetner to buying the Delorean LOL!
(22 Nov 2018, 08:33)SpudMurphy Wrote: Welcome - buying a Delorean is like buying a house.

- risk of catching fire
- often contains mice
- full of surprises from the last idiot who inhabited it
- possibly haunted
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  this !!!!!!
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
(23 Nov 2018, 15:08)Matt Clark Wrote:
(22 Nov 2018, 08:33)SpudMurphy Wrote: Welcome - buying a Delorean is like buying a house.

- risk of catching fire
- often contains mice
- full of surprises from the last idiot who inhabited it
- possibly haunted

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
If you are thinking of doing a BTTF conversion for your personal use, and depending on the level of authenticity you want to take it to, i'd budget for about another 10K.

It you are hoping to make money from it by hiring it out.....I'd think again, there are already plenty of folk at that particular party already and rates are quite low.

Once you have gathered all your money up, thats the time to go shopping seriously.

There are very few project cars around and most of them are not that cheap and require serious time and money spending on them. Probably better to buy one thats already sorted.....IMO.    Good luck. Undecided
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Hi Chris,
Thanks for the advise. I have no real interest in hiring it out, that doesn't particularly interest me unless it's convenient to me or something that interests me, I'm already busy enough.
I'm aware of how much the conversion is and how much time and money it can eat, it's something I've been looking in to for a while now, and I already have some parts stashed away. It's something I want to do for me, I appreciate it's not to everyone's tastes but you can't keep everyone happy all of the time.

I have the money, so that's not a concern. I just don't want a mint example just to go and remove many of the parts to do the BTTF conversion.
In the middle of the year I saw cars in my price range and condition selling, so that's what I'm looking for. If they don't 100% meet my 'ideal' spec requirements then so-be-it, but I don't see the point in spending £35k on a car just to drape loads of cables and aluminium over it.
By project I mean something that may need re-trimming, or slight tidying up. I don't mean something that's been neglected.

I may have taken your reply in slightly the wrong way, but I think questioning  someones financial situation is a little 'off', but if I did I appologise in advance.

It's not a case of how much I can spend on one, it's how much my missus will let me spend on it  Big Grin
We all have slight issues getting our 'other-halves' to understand our automotive needs.

I know exactly what to you mean about not needing a pristine car to 'BTTF it'.

I made that mistake by getting Chris N to fit his fist ever kit onto my beautiful 110 mile 83 car.  Folk only looked at the flashing lights... a year later I swapped it all over to a slightly tatty Auto..but no one noticed. That car is now in, what was Gaydon Motor Museum.
  But the 83 car had lost its 'freshness underneath' during its 12 months as a BFFT car and I regretted that.

In fact the whole thing started to turn into a business, as I had the only drivable BTTF car in the UK. Another reason I packed it in.

There don't seem to be many cars around that just need a bit of 'cosmetic' work.  My friend in Ilkeston has another car nearly ready for sale...but no Deloreans are cheap these days ...Grey manuals seem very thin on the ground anyway.

Good luck with your search.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
(06 Dec 2018, 21:08)Chris P Wrote: We all have slight issues getting our 'other-halves' to understand our automotive needs.

I know exactly what to you mean about not needing a pristine car to 'BTTF it'.

I made that mistake by getting Chris N to fit his fist ever kit onto my beautiful 110 mile 83 car.  Folk only looked at the flashing lights... a year later I swapped it all over to a slightly tatty Auto..but no one noticed. That car is now in, what was Gaydon Motor Museum.
  But the 83 car had lost its 'freshness underneath' during its 12 months as a BFFT car and I regretted that.

In fact the whole thing started to turn into a business, as I had the only drivable BTTF car in the UK. Another reason I packed it in.

There don't seem to be many cars around that just need a bit of 'cosmetic' work.  My friend in Ilkeston has another car nearly ready for sale...but no Deloreans are cheap these days ...Grey manuals seem very thin on the ground anyway.

Good luck with your search.

She's generally quite good and let's me get on with my mid-life crisis on my own, she doesn't seem to understand the 'old car' thing though Big Grin .
I know what you mean, we all go in to every small detail, ensuring every connector is right, and every wire is the right gauge and colour - whereas the general population see a flux capacitor and vents! - The conversion will take some planning as I do not want to drill any holes in the car that cannot easily be repaired. So I would 100% not be drilling the stainless, Although I know it can be repaired, we are all a little far from Chris N.

I think you friend in Ilkeston had one on ebay that the sale fell through on a few times (about right for eBay), it's one of the cars I mention that is in my budget (I think it last ended for just under £25k) but it was before I was properly looking, although it had a black interior and was an auto, it may be a strong contender as I'm in Staffordshire and it's not a million miles away, When he's ready, please do tell him to contact me with more details.
    . A book cover mock up.         This was my photo of my car.

Mine was all done with not one hole drilled it in, I'd be quite happy to talk you through my experiences, if you fancy a run over to Allestree, Derby, DE22 2HG.

Andrew has had quite few cars recently, one went for its MOT only this week.

Autos are better suited to a BTTF conversion...when you are driving one, you need all your concentration to avoid hitting all the cars that crowd around you.....changing gear with all the Gubbins near your right elbow is an extra distraction you can do without!

In my opinion.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Ironically my missus has bought your book for me for Christmas. I ruined the surprise when she said "I think this will be OK, it says outer packaging damaged..." and I finished the sentence for her. She wasn't amused  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Once I get a D, I'd be happy to pick you brains. We'll have to arrange something when the weather warms up.

I've heard this a few times, that an auto is better suited to the conversion. I think it's one of the more common 'concessions' when building a time machine. I'd prefer the accuracy of a manual, but it depends on what cars pop up I suppose. Auto or Manual, neither are going to set the world on fire with performance  Shy  ! 

I'd definitely be interested in the spec of Andrews car once it's ready.