Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front fascia brackets
Hi folks, have discovered my front fascia brackets have turned to dust.  (The ones between the polyurethane fascia and the top of the rock-screen.)

P/No. 108466, Stainless equivalents are available from the usual sources at £20 each but that adds up to £100 just for brackets!!

Best price seems to be from Houston at $16.76 which works out at about £13.

Does anyone know of any other sources of these at all please?  Had thought there was a uk supplier at one time.

Thanks, Rich
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
I 'think' Phil Peters had some made up at some point in Stainless, it may be worth sending him a PM. I don't think they were cheap though as he had them specially made.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Praps that was it, cheers Chris.  I expect I am going to have to send off an order to Houson at some stage so will leave them in my wishlist for now,  Thanks, Rich
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Hi Rich,

As Chris says, I had a very small batch of these brackets (part #108466) made up several years ago.

As I saw it, there were issues with all of the replacement brackets on offer from the vendors at the time. Some of them didn't have the correct bend / profile and others were constructed by welding a nut directly onto the bracket which doesn't give you any adjustment when fitting the set screws. I also felt that this wasn't particularly great from a serviceability point of view. With the original factory style nut assembly (part #SP10158), if you snap a screw then you can just pop the whole nut assembly out of the bracket, chuck it away and fit another one. Probably not such an easy fix on the brackets which have the nut welded on.

I had a press tool made to produce the brackets in stainless, replicating the original curve of the factory brackets. The only aspect which differed from the original design was the little strengthening "bump" on the bracket. Replicating that would have made the whole project unviable from a cost point of view. I noticed that none of the other replacement brackets available at the time had that little strengthening bump either, presumably also due to the manufacturing cost.

[Image: delorean-108466-front-fascia-bracket-003.jpg]

[Image: delorean-108466-front-fascia-bracket-008.jpg]

The nut assembly I used is fully stainless too, manufactured in the UK, and has the correct dimensions on the "legs" to fit the brackets snugly but still provide movement for adjustment. I've still got some of these stainless nut assemblies so just drop me a PM or an email if you need any of those. I can do a full car set of 5 for £4.50 inc. postage within mainland UK.

As it happens, after all that I ended up refurbing the factory brackets on my car in an effort to keep everything original but I sold all the sets I had made to various owners who were restoring cars at the time. I think one or two sets may have gone overseas from memory too.  I still have the tooling so I could probably make another batch if there was enough interest. The tooling cost had to be recouped on that first batch so they would be cheaper second time around. I haven't checked though, there may be better versions available from the usual sources these days.

Cheers,

Phil
1982 DeLorean VIN 12173 (a.k.a VIN 601)
1989 Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
I’ll put my name down for a set.

See if there’s enough interest to make a run Smile
DOC #230

VIN 11477 Jan '82
2010 Range Rover V8
2013 Mini Cooper S Works

Tristan J Carroll
Swansea, South Wales
I think Phil may have got the price wrong, before everyone jumps in saying 'yes'
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Wink Jolly good value Phil!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
(25 Oct 2018, 20:09)Chris Williams Wrote: I think Phil may have got the price wrong, before everyone jumps in saying 'yes'
Chris

To clarify, £4.50 gets you a set of 5 stainless nuts (no brackets):

[Image: delorean-sp10158-spire-nut-ret-stainless-steel-003.jpg]
1982 DeLorean VIN 12173 (a.k.a VIN 601)
1989 Alpine GTA V6 Turbo