Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RHD Project for auction, 1st Sept 2018
Water pump going back on today, after Dave H had it restored. New bearings fitted in the idler pulleys, (one was sized up, the other not much better)' The lower mounting bracket/adjuster, was badly bent as some heavy-handed mechanic had tightened up the long tensioning bolt too much. I replaced it for one I had in stock.

Lots of other stuff to do before I finally put the inlet manifold back. including fitting the new lower water pipe and vacuum heater valve, spark plugs.....(all from D-Go)  etc etc etc.  Rolleyes

better pickys

Attached Files Image(s)

Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Coming on nicely there Chris.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Yes Claire,

There is corrosion, but it is only superficial and has now been cleaned up and is all going back together nicely.

it was great to have Chris W's section of 'sliced up cylinder block' at the NEC and together with my photo's, explain to a great number of interested folk, how well these engines can take decades of neglect with minimal serious damage.

And to have Chris N's immaculate turbo car, with its engine bay all lit up, contrasted nicely with my photo's.....was a real bonus.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
     My work in the 'Valley" is now complete. New plugs and  leads, new o rings, lower water pipe, hoses, clips gaskets etc etc.

It now starts on the button , and the horrible noise generated by the idler bearings and water pump has now gone. I've changed the engine oil and the oil filter twice. New drive belts and the water is circulating around the system properly and the fans kick in and out.

Next job is to flush out the cooling system again and put the antifreeze in...when I'm sure there are no leaks.

Cant do that until I can get it back on its wheels and I can't do that until I finish the extensive work on the brakes, which may  take a good few weeks yet....... But its getting there!  Smile
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
I quite liked the green Wink
Great work Chris.
I still envy that garage of yours. Smile

Did you install the “self burper” or was that there before you had her?

Tris

Car sounds great Chris!

And I’m now also jealous that you have a working radio!!

DOC #230

VIN 11477 Jan '82
2010 Range Rover V8
2013 Mini Cooper S Works

Tristan J Carroll
Swansea, South Wales
Tris,
The self burper /bleeder was partially installed...in that had a through-nipple had been fitted to the top of thermostat housing, and a short bit of pipe fitted. I replaced this to our normal tee piece in front of the header tank and a pipe around to that.  It only took  a few mins to bleed the air out and am I very relived that it now keeps nice and cool.

The radio working is a bonus, obviously the damp had not done too much damage.  It doesn't seem to be charging properly, so I will have to investigate that.

Matt, the green had done its job.....it was Waxoyl that was spayed all over the engine when it was laid up. Obviously, when later exposed to the light and weather outside...it had turned into some sort of mould...but it had partially protected stuff.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Sounds great! Almost back to the glory days...

[Image: 46133664781_1409c39524_b.jpg]

[Image: 31194624307_806b79a5b4_b.jpg]

A bit of a way to go yet Matt...Still, one step at a time.............it looks like you driving it in 1983 for its photo shoot. ?
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
I Guess all these cars that are now being brought out of hibernation from all quarters of the globe tend to have similar but different, rather predictable issues. Damp UK one's like this, are unusual...more common are the sun damaged one's from the USA.    They have perhaps more predictable issues, cracked dash's baked rubber etc..

As a group, I think we are all very lucky, the basic design is very robust and long lived and for 'comparatively modest money',  say 20-30 k, we have something really unique  as a 'project'........how much would an E Type or a Merc Gullwing  project fetch by comparison?  I know which one I'd sooner have !

Onwards and upwards chaps.  Angel
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
[attachment=465 Wrote:Stuart Rees pid='49509' dateline='1535715557']

There were more DeLoreans outside, Rissy

I've been studying the video and photo's of this auction.....if you re-look, you will note that the large white 'details label' is always  stuck to the passenger side of the windscreen ....obviously so that it dosen't impede the drivers view...therefor the last in line here must be the RHD, AXI 1699.

(according to the newspaper article) was bought by Cluterbook's, who re-registered the car on the mainland and made the MGJ reg plates, when they sold it to Martin Walton.

Attached Files Image(s)

Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 

As I prepare for another days work on the car (the joy of being retired) and have reviewed this thread, I realise I've failed to give my good chum and family friend Andrew Westerman, much credit!

My apologies Andrew.

Not only did Andrew hire a transporter and drive down to 'Battle" and back, to load and collect MGJ with Matt, and then safely delivered it into my garage, but he has helped and advised me on numerous occasions over the last few months, as I've been working on it and trying to get it going.

..It only seems 10 mins since, I took him for his first a ride in a DeLorean as a teenager,....now years later,  he has bought and sold and more importantly, imported and re-commissioned more cars than anyone else I know! 

Well done Andrew and thanks. Big Grin
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
hear hear, well said Chrispy.

I'll be forever grateful to Andrew for staying with me when Flopsy broke down 2yrs ago, and using his Honda to sheild us from traffic heading up the slip road towards us at motorway speeds. He waited with me for about 2hrs until a recovery truck arrived to lift the car and get us home.

A true gent indeed.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Thirded! Andy is a top man and he definitely knows his onions - does the club proud.
Im guessing something like "VTB 1588" or "V..5883" from what the very faint writing says.
Maybe a number based on when it was being converted to rhd?
Vin: 5222, 81 grey auto "Ryuko"

2017 Ford Fiesta 1.0L EcoBoost (silver)

Club YouTube channel creator
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYJmbtB...DhNzZQPDlA 

Submit videos for the channel:
YTAdmin@deloreans.co.uk