Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIN 4267 comes to England
Great work so far Matt. I don't recon it will be too long before you get it running...we just need to sort out the metering head and water pump. And check out the 'VALLEY of DEATH'....yours looks much less trouble than mine!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Had a visit from Chris P while working on the car this weekend - was nice to have a finished car to compare mine to!

[Image: 33918410528_ae4910356a_h.jpg]

This weekend I wanted to finally tackle the chassis rust from the leaking brake servo. I had a quick go at chipping the epoxy off in the summer last year, but was hindered by not being able to get the car up very high. Here's how bad it was in the summer:

[Image: 32851970957_3f2d7c52f8_h.jpg]
[Image: 47795400601_160d3d358c_h.jpg]

I bought some ramps that have lifts in them as a way of getting the car to a more manageable height. Getting it up onto the rams from inside the garage was a pain; I need a low profile jack that has a small lift height to get the car high enough to fit the taller jack underneath it - however for some reason the taller jack doesn't have a handle that can be swung around so you can only use it in very specific angles in the garage - that's an issue when it's sharing the same space as another jack! With a bit of juggling, using concrete blocks as spacers, I finally got it onto the ramps:

[Image: WuAXr1c.gif]

Not a pretty view! Next time I'm back with the car I'll do a hardcore clean of this area to see what is grime, black overspray (there's a lot of that), what's rust, etc...

[Image: 32852184567_ef191887d7_h.jpg]

I managed to peel off a bit more of the epoxy and started grinding:

[Image: 33919121398_82c2deb906_h.jpg]

After that I ran degreaser over everything to clean it, including the underbody, hoses etc:

[Image: 33918587028_e0bf4fb902_h.jpg]

A lot of people on the Facebook group recommended using POR-15 on the rusty bits. I skipped using their degreaser - I used a WD40 branded one instead - but bought the Metal Prep solution and the Rust Paint. This came to about £70 (weep)

[Image: 32852159297_2ef1e473aa_h.jpg]

First I went in with the Metal Prep - the directions reccomend keeping the affected areas wet for 30 mins to really get the last of the rust off, which meant basically living under the car with this stuff dripping on you for the duration. Not mountains of fun.

[Image: 33918588658_e7ff26c98e_h.jpg]
[Image: 32852221687_65eaaf90c3_h.jpg]

The Rust Preventative paint goes on in two coats - again, this is a messy job and POR-15 doesn't wash off! Got to live with a few stains (and bits of crispy hair) for a week or so. I also carried on cleaning the underside while I was there - it's a shame rust got to it because some parts of the epoxy are basically new.

[Image: 47006406014_1c973fe128_h.jpg]

Once the second coat was on, I masked the underside for painting. Tin foil is great because you can 'sculpt' it round the running gear.

[Image: 47743376772_3a1394d136_h.jpg]

Finally I sprayed it all with grey primer + a bit of clearcoat. You can't hide the pitting, and I could have done a better job of feathering the epoxy, but you'll never see in here so I can live with it for now. There's other areas to do but at least the tank can go back in now!

[Image: 47743416332_1a21f3c588_h.jpg]

I didn't quite get everything I wanted to do done this weekend - you can still see the last water pipes I need to get off - but I think this was probably the first big job on the car so I'm glad to have got it finished.

[Image: 47006465574_69e79f75e9_h.jpg]
Good work there Matt,

what you had was a small amount of surface rust...not rot. It it were a typical British car of 70's /80's you'd have swept it up!  Deloreans hold up to neglect exceptionally, well compared to other old cars. If it were me, I'd brush a good coat of waxoyl around before you re-fit the petrol tank and you'll never need to worry about that area again.

How did my hair get under there? I only had a quick glance!  Blush
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Great pictures, the making of a good magazine article there!
Amazing stuff that Por-15 can stain your skin like you would not believe!
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Great progress and I agree, this thread and pics should be a series of articles for the mag as I'm sure many D owners would appreciate your Journey Matt, it's certainly got me hooked!
Vin: 4468
DOC No: 758
www.theportlandarms.co.uk
Ha, well, a lot of other people on here have done a lot more in less time so I'm not sure it's that interesting!

I see the DOA have announced the dates for next Eurofest - 27th May 2021 - so that's my deadline to get the car finished. Taking the car around the track has always been the goal for me, and who know if there will be a chance to do this in 2026 (or if I'll still be alive). Two years seems a long time but I've had this nearly a year and haven't got very far with it, so presently this seems a bit ambitious.

The job list that I know about is:

Immediately:

- Get the new pump built, and get the tank assembled
- Replace the fuel lines (seen too many DeLoreans on fire this year)
- Reinstate all the water pipes + put on the new water pump
- Replace all filters, consumables etc
- See if it runs
- Deal with what happens if it doesn't...

Imminently:

- Replace brake servo etc, do all the pads and discs
- Clutch reservoir is drained, see if there's a reason for that
- Clean up the chassis and underbody and see what needs replacing/restoring
- See what's up with the electricals - a lot of stuff is disconnected

Expensive finishing touches:

- Registration and MOT
- Source new r/h wing/fender since Chris N thinks it's not economical to repair
- Get Chris N to take a pass at the panels, do dent removal etc.
- Get fascias repaired/repainted
- New... everything on the interior (ideally get to Lee P to do it but not sure on his turnaround times). Need to find a steering wheel too!

Suddenly feeling less optimistic about it now...
Hi Matt,
unless the brakes look really bad, I'd leave them for the moment, until you've got it running and see if they work once the servo kicks in. It might all work OK! This is the first car I've had to go through all the brakes on...yours looks much less neglected. 

On the same basis, top up your clutch reservoir and see what happens.

If it were me, my priority would be remove the air intake manifold and check out the VOD, replace the water pump, hoses etc try and sort the metering head...then get it running.

Just my thoughts..
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Hi Chris,

Yeah, that's what I'll be starting next time I'm up - might need a hand if you're around!

Will have a look on youtube for tutorials on how to replace the pump and also how to assemble the fuel tank fittings!
You've probably seen the one from Martin about the filter in the bottom of the tank....I followed that last time...most helpful. I resisted the temptation to spend 30 odd quid on a custom made spring, to poke down the middle of the pickup hose and made my own by winding some SS wire around a thin rod...works fine....ive got some left if you want some.

I'll be around ...hopefully...unless I upset Mr. Putin in the next couple of weeks!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Ha, I bought the full fuel pump kit from DGo so I believe I have said spring in stock.

Also to add to the list:

- Fit the DGo Exhaust which I have at least paid for.
Great work Matt and you've made a great job it it!

I particularly like those lifty-uppy ramps - great idea, haven't seen those before.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
(12 May 2019, 10:48)Matt Clark Wrote: I see the DOA have announced the dates for next Eurofest - 27th May 2021 - so that's my deadline to get the car finished. Taking the car around the track has always been the goal for me, and who know if there will be a chance to do this in 2026 (or if I'll still be alive). Two years seems a long time but I've had this nearly a year and haven't got very far with it, so presently this seems a bit ambitious.

- Replace the fuel lines (seen too many DeLoreans on fire this year)

Looking like some great progress Matt
would be great to have you and 4267 at Eurofest and take it around the track

and i can agree Too many have sadly burnt from old fuel lines or other causes (wildfires, etc)
Vin: 5222, 81 grey auto "Ryuko"

2017 Ford Fiesta 1.0L EcoBoost (silver)

Club YouTube channel creator
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYJmbtB...DhNzZQPDlA 

Submit videos for the channel:
YTAdmin@deloreans.co.uk
I'm with the car tomorrow for a couple of hours, and want to bring home some bits to clean up/inspect.

- How easily does the anti sway bar come out? Do I need a tool to get it out of the bushings in the LCA?
- Can the radiator be cleaned/washed out etc by removing it?
Sway bar fairly easy if the weight is off the front wheels.
Bushings.... The ones that join to LCA to the frame?  Best way is to burn them out then cut out the outer part of the bushing with a hacksaw passed through the centre. (well it's how I do them)! BUT I don't find poly ones that good.......
Radiator, yes as per your question but can be reverse flushed in situ if easier.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Thanks! I'm just looking for easy things to do while I've got a couple of hours with the car. Might just do a front end clean and take stock.

Brining home the tank, pump kit etc so will be assembling that over the next week

(after I finish the next mag)