Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rectifier diodes for fog light conversion
Does anyone know what rated rectifier diodes I should get in order to carry out the fog light mod?
I want to make sure I get the right ones.

Cheers
Tris
DOC #230

VIN 11477 Jan '82
2010 Range Rover V8
2013 Mini Cooper S Works

Tristan J Carroll
Swansea, South Wales
This isn't answering your question but I was reading the other day that you only need a rear fog light in cars made from 1986 onwards? It was on the RAC MOT checklist, but also seen on some other forums after googling.

Mine had a mod done by the previous owner, but I was interested in the legal standpoint.
#1373 - Black, Manual, Gas Flap

"Marty: Wait a minute, wait a minute, Doc, are you telling me that you built a time machine out of a delorean?

Doc: The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car why not do it with some style..."
Quote:Does anyone know what rated rectifier diodes I should get in order to carry out the fog light mod
Didn't know you required any, never used them myself...... Is this a DGo version? I can send you the conversion by Martin G if that helps.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
(16 Apr 2018, 20:53)Chris Williams Wrote:
Quote:Does anyone know what rated rectifier diodes I should get in order to carry out the fog light mod
Didn't know you required any, never used them myself...... Is this a DGo version? I can send you the conversion by Martin G if that helps.
Chris

I was going by the instructions I found on DGo, yes. I'd be interested to see Martins instructions. It looks quite straight forward to me.

Cheers Chris Smile (I think you have my email addy?)

Tris
DOC #230

VIN 11477 Jan '82
2010 Range Rover V8
2013 Mini Cooper S Works

Tristan J Carroll
Swansea, South Wales
I've not got an diodes in my fog light modification. Seems messy to need to use them.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
I got the diodes from Delorean Go. Three in all. Don't ask me to explain as I'll just follow the instructions. the live is sent to the rear, and then you use a diode before splitting the single feed into two. On to each light fitting.  Each light fitting then has another diode and a mod to the connector. Miles on the facebook page "delorean restoration projects" came up with a great way of mounting diodes 2 and 3. When drilling the 4 holes on the rear pcb the diode fitted perfectly into the drilled aperture. 

Out of interest, it would be good to see the "Martin G " method?
Vin 11789 (probably #50 of the Middle East batch of 50)
I'm familiar with the Dgo solution. I just don't particularly like it. Using diodes in my opinion is a bit nasty, and harder to fix on the fly if one of those diodes fails, not to mention the effect a failure would have on the electrics. Again, all just my opinion. We all know what's right for us.

I don't know the Martin G method I'm afraid. I never took note of what it was before I ripped it out of my car and replaced it with the solution I have now. No diodes. I used an additional relay dedicated to the fog light function
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
(19 Apr 2018, 08:41)Rissy Wrote: I'm familiar with the Dgo solution.  I just don't particularly like it.  Using diodes in my opinion is a bit nasty, and harder to fix on the fly if one of those diodes fails, not to mention the effect a failure would have on the electrics.  Again, all just my opinion.  We all know what's right for us.

I don't know the Martin G method I'm afraid.  I never took note of what it was before I ripped it out of my car and replaced it with the solution I have now.  No diodes.  I used an additional relay dedicated to the fog light function

What are the details of your solution Chris?
(19 Apr 2018, 19:43)SpudMurphy Wrote:
(19 Apr 2018, 08:41)Rissy Wrote: I'm familiar with the Dgo solution.  I just don't particularly like it.  Using diodes in my opinion is a bit nasty, and harder to fix on the fly if one of those diodes fails, not to mention the effect a failure would have on the electrics.  Again, all just my opinion.  We all know what's right for us.

I don't know the Martin G method I'm afraid.  I never took note of what it was before I ripped it out of my car and replaced it with the solution I have now.  No diodes.  I used an additional relay dedicated to the fog light function

What are the details of your solution Chris?

I've taken the headlight switch feed to the headlight stalk and used it to also pass power through a fog light switch on my centre console.
The switch then switches on and off the dashboard telltail indication and the coil of a relay.
The normally closed contacts on the relay feed from the outer rear brake lights to the inner brake lights.
The normally open contacts on the relay feed the permanent live from before the headlight switch to the inner brake lights on their own.
The link on the rear brake boards which joins the inner and outer brake lights in circuit is cut.

I'd put up a picture, but you know.....stoooopid photobucket.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
Blooming heck Chris...too complicated for me! Huh
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Cheers Riss.
I can follow basics and have a good idea of what you've done - I'm not fully understanding the rear brake light mod - I'm guessing it's similar to the process I stated where you drill the PCB.
I just wanted to know the other way of doing it - having got the illuminated switch, diodes, fuse and I "borrowed" 10 m of red and 1 m of black cable from my Guitar Amplifier "guy", I'll go down the Deloreango route but will have my feed coming out of the rear bulkhead connector box and joining the existing rear loom ...... this is way off though as I've plenty of things to keep me busy :-)_
I went down a different route and sourced a few stand-alone bulb holders, that I fastened direct in the rear of the light units, some for double and some for single bulbs and then made up a mini wringing loom connected the original plug.

It means you can play with the light combo and have double or single tail lights and or Stop lights as you wish And it does away with the circuit board.  Mind you, when I reverted back to my original "Rubber-Lights", they are now back in stock.
They all share the same plugs and sockets and  are 'plug and play', so I can change the whole lot from USA style to UK style is less than10 mins.

Attached Files Image(s)

Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
(15 Apr 2018, 23:07)priesh Wrote: This isn't answering your question but I was reading the other day that you only need a rear fog light in cars made from 1986 onwards? It was on the RAC MOT checklist, but also seen on some other forums after googling.

Mine had a mod done by the previous owner, but I was interested in the legal standpoint.

All cars must be fitted with rear fog lights as it’s a legal requirement. If your car has been imported, it will need a rear fog light before it is allowed to be used on the road.

The 1986 rule is when you fit two I think. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/...le/11/made
Don't leave much to chance do they with such detailed regulations?   I've never had a problem myself.

I don't take my car out if its foggy anyway.   A QD Wink  (Quick Detachable), legal bolt on one, should do the trick for the MOT.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian