Changing fuel filter leaky woes
Sorry, managed to mangle the links up.
This is the holder I was looking at:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Faithfull-Diest...S4PN1&th=1

I assume the 33.5mm one?
Vin: 4468
DOC No: 758
www.theportlandarms.co.uk
(19 Feb 2018, 15:54)TheScAtMaN Wrote: Sorry, managed to mangle the links up.
This is the holder I was looking at:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Faithfull-Diest...S4PN1&th=1

I assume the 33.5mm one?

I just held the die in a vice and twisted the elbow. the threads are already there and just gets stiff down near the bottom of the thread.

I guess if you dont have a vice then you will need something.
I'm wondering if it's the part that's supplied may be the fault. I don't know what part was supplied to Steve, but I dropped off to him one that had been supplied to me by DGo and it's not like the one pictured on DGo's website. (don't have a pic as Steve now has it) but it does have the captive nut fitted in the inlet and outlet despite the claims on the website that it does not. (I think anyway, certainly on the outlet)
I have dug out an old one supplied by SpecialT auto (pictured below) and this has a proper machined thread into the casing as you can see. I do wonder if the problem is that the one that's been supplied to Steve is the same as supplied to me and is not up to spec. The one supplied to me is a 'Cerrium' ?? brand Not 100% sure on name as I don't have it anymore but it's not as described on the website so it may be a supply issue that has not been picked up on?
Chris

Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
(20 Feb 2018, 17:14)Chris Williams Wrote: I'm wondering if it's the part that's supplied may be the fault. I don't know what part was supplied to Steve, but I dropped off to him one that had been supplied to me by DGo and it's not like the one pictured on DGo's website. (don't have a pic as Steve now has it) but it does have the captive nut fitted in the inlet and outlet despite the claims on the website that it does not. (I think anyway, certainly on the outlet)
I have dug out an old one supplied by SpecialT auto (pictured below) and this has a proper machined thread into the casing as you can see. I do wonder if the problem is that the one that's been supplied to Steve is the same as supplied to me and is not up to spec. The one supplied to me is a 'Cerrium' ?? brand Not 100% sure on name as I don't have it anymore but it's not as described on the website so it may be a supply issue that has not been picked up on?
Chris

The part on their shop website is a FILTRON  PP827 model fuel filter, which is also an appropriate modern replacement.  I'd have thought that if this is what they're displaying, this would be what you get.  I know of FILTRON.  They're a well regarded and established brand.  The picture also shows from the writing on the filter that it is also made for MANN + HUMMEL.  Another well known brand.  Probably their alternatively named WK830/6 model fuel filter.

"Cerrium" however!!!??  I've never heard of them personally.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Quote:"Cerrium" however!!!??  I've never heard of them personally.
That's not the name exactly, I cant remember but it's similar. I need Steve to post the details up as he has it now. Be interesting to see what was supplied to him also.
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
If it makes you feel any better took me 3 hours to do mine today, Dodgy  In My case could not get the inlet to seal Bought another one (Mahle as per Chris M) The last one has been on for 5 years so will have to open it up. Though it was a cleaned out tank.
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Well finally got back to this and glad to say it's now fitted and leak free -although I will continue to check on it on my next visit!

Here's my old filter on the left with the new 'Filtron' one from Delorean Go on the right.

Looking at the top you can see my old one had the captive nut with washer recess while the new one has the welded and smooth type

On the bottom it's again reversed, the old has a smooth and rounded welded nut while the new has a captive but recessed nut.

Chris W's was the same setup.

I was getting leaks from both ends but having read Andy Smiths tips on his eurotec thread was inspired to try out the M14x1.5 Die cutter on a new elbow joint I purchased for the inlet. With the thread now going all the way to the bottom of the elbow joint and using PTFE tape and a copper washer that sits in the recess I was able to tighten the elbow all the way in

For the top I used two washers at the top of the banjo, an alluminum one and a copperone below it with an other copper one underneath the banjo, with a little bit of PTFE tap on the threads of the bolt for good measure, making sure none got near the hole section of the bolt.
Here it is on the car:

So after 4 attempts success! Hopefully with the two types of elbow I now have I should be prepared to use any compatible brand of filter in the future.
Vin: 4468
DOC No: 758
www.theportlandarms.co.uk