Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Centre Console - DIN back to Craig/ASI
Not sure if I’ve posted in the appropriate section...perhaps applies to “electrical” also??

Anyway, does anyone have any guidance/help to convert a din cutout back to original Craig/ASI radio “post” type fitment?

As a non-owner at this precise moment, I have no way of knowing how to resolve this potential issue without having the vehicle in front of me to assess a way forward.

I’m asking because I will be in a position to purchase shortly and see a few cars out there have been modified to DIN.
I’d like the original look, but maybe with the Bluetooth upgrade to a Craig/ASI radio that’s currently on offer.

If fitting the Craig to a DIN cutout is not an option then my other idea is to get a Retrosound radio with a DIN repair kit and fix a Craig faceplate to it..... (seen this done already)
(Although I’ve heard some bad things about the Retrosound reliability if you disconnect the car battery)

Cheers
Tris
DOC #230

VIN 11477 Jan '82
2010 Range Rover V8
2013 Mini Cooper S Works

Tristan J Carroll
Swansea, South Wales
Not sure tbh, as you know they sell new brackets for DIN but not the other way around. I wonder if it might be worth asking ChrisN or Ed to keep an old one aside if they swap one out?
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
That’s a good idea, thanks Chris.

I also wonder if one of these DIN repair kits could be adapted somehow to the Craig/ASI to allow it to slot into a din opening.... Din repair kit
DOC #230

VIN 11477 Jan '82
2010 Range Rover V8
2013 Mini Cooper S Works

Tristan J Carroll
Swansea, South Wales
Quote:Din repair kit
Never seen them, but at 40quid I would be cutting and welding a plate back in! (as a ducks bum)
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Yep! You’re quite right!!! Big Grin

How far off DIN are the Craig’s?
DOC #230

VIN 11477 Jan '82
2010 Range Rover V8
2013 Mini Cooper S Works

Tristan J Carroll
Swansea, South Wales
In the US anyway, I have seen owners who want to install a DIN radio, buy a DIN bracket and then sell the old craig one rather than attempt to modify it. So you could buy a craig one and the resell your DIN one. You just have to keep your eye out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/81-Delorean-DMC...SwYc5aA4XW

(mind you, this guys pricing is out of this world)

I have also seen what you are asking, and someone with a DIN backplate offering it as a straight swap to someone who has a craig one.

Of course postage could cripple a deal like that back to the UK.
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
Thanks DM - I did spot that one on eBay. There’s also one on deloreango.com

I think I’ll wait and see what my options are. Those Craig/ASI Bluetooth radios are £400+ to start with anyway......so I’ll get one of those as a starter......
DOC #230

VIN 11477 Jan '82
2010 Range Rover V8
2013 Mini Cooper S Works

Tristan J Carroll
Swansea, South Wales