Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The search begins!
Hi all - I've posted in some of the other threads but thought I'd start a thread to help track any progress I make (if any!)

Have wanted to do this for last 10 years, and finally in a position to actually do something about it.

I think what I want is a black, manual, grooves. I know those all come with gas flap, which I'm not sure if I'll like or not - can always change later on.

I've seen a few listed about - the one in Manchester feels quite expensive to me considering it needs a lot of bits done - the guy did say he is open to offers so I might explore.

I have always dreamed of importing one though - but maybe the dream and reality are not so aligned from a stress perspective! Also the exchange rate doesn't make it as good a deal these days, but you never know what you can find.

I think I want one that does need work - stuff I can do (always willing to learn) - but I also know my limits so extensive frame work etc would be another expense which is probably best avoided? Guess it depends on the price.

Anyways, if you happen to come across one you think might fit the bill, let me know!

Cheers!

Priesh

I've seen a Manchester gathering mentioned a few times - when is it? I can't seem to see the thread, but I'm sure I'm just being a bit stupid. Not sure I'll be able to travel that far over the next few weeks but would be good to know the details
#1373 - Black, Manual, Gas Flap

"Marty: Wait a minute, wait a minute, Doc, are you telling me that you built a time machine out of a delorean?

Doc: The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car why not do it with some style..."
if you are importing from the USA, try and get one from one of the 'drier' states (although with recent weather events in the US....). Areas like Montana use a particularly corrosive road salt in the winter.

Ask the seller to email you photos of the frame to put your mind at rest.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
But as someone recently pointed out...where you are buying it from and where it has spent most of its life might not be the same!

Just a point to consider.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
There is a big part of me that wants to 'rescue' one that looks a bit sorry for itself - but then there is another part that wants to have a roadworthy one asap - decisions decisions!

"Marty: Wait a minute, wait a minute, Doc, are you telling me that you built a time machine out of a delorean?

Doc: The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car why not do it with some style..."
that's true Chrispy, mine came from California - via Kansas, Texas, and Virginia lol
(14 Sep 2017, 14:26)Chris P Wrote: But as someone recently pointed out...where you are buying it from and where it has spent most of its life might not be the same!

Sounds like a wise man, whoever said that Smile
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
I think it was you Dermot!!!!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
I am the proud owner of #1373 - many thanks to all that helped me in this process.

Time to start building a list of stuff to do to it!

Hi
i know its your car...but if it has a flap keep it, most owners know if it should have or not......

it will grow on you anyway, and you'll get even more whats that questions!!.

most owners with the flap hood missing hanker to replace back to oem, but they dont come up too often and when they do are serious $$$

steve
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
I agree Steve, a 'gas-flap bonnet is worth roughly £2k and a plain one about £1k......If you can actually find either one!

Chris N once converted a grooved one, to a gas-flap for me...but its not a cheap process.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
yay, another gas flap car Big Grin

I love mine, saves having to open the bonnet to fill up causing already nosey punters at petrol stations
to have a good gander at whats in the luggage area (or get it soaking wet due to the weather).
(06 Dec 2017, 08:11)Chris P Wrote: I agree Steve, a 'gas-flap bonnet is worth roughly £2k and a plain one about £1k......If you can  actually find either one!

Chris N once converted a grooved one, to a gas-flap for me...but its not a cheap process.

Funny you mention this as I was casually googling this evening, I came across a page on PJ Grady about the conversion, and then also this YouTube video of a chap carrying out the deed:
https://youtu.be/YKp1-UReEVo

I’ll be honest, my heart was in my mouth as he ground away on that bonnet..... not for the faint hearted!

But I digress.....  well done on your motor Priesh! 
Gas flap or no gas flap..... I love them all Smile
DOC #230

VIN 11477 Jan '82
2010 Range Rover V8
2013 Mini Cooper S Works

Tristan J Carroll
Swansea, South Wales
The gas flap is growing on me - like you all say it makes filling up much easier etc

I am thinking of moving away from oem with the struts - the new stainless ones look really nice - one for the birthday list!

Cheers,

Priesh

good man, you cant beat a squeaky gas flap Wink